Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Upside Down

I have thought a lot about writing this post and if I should or not... but here goes. I was going to post a picture of me doing a hand stand 8 months pregnant, but I will spare you all (and truth be told. me).

I had expected that Christmas would be a difficult holiday for me to endure. I anticipated Christmas Eve walking around the temple looking at lights arms empty, reading the Christmas story and acting out the parts missing the "baby" Jesus, and opening the pjs and missing one more pair would be difficult. I had prepared myself, even prepped myself, told myself that Daxton wasn't supposed to b here with us this Christmas, that Father in Heaven needed him more than I did. I knew it would be difficult.

Through all the events described above, I felt a warm peace, a blanket of security. I knew Daxton was near. I knew that he was helping me through this holiday season. Christmas Eve and morning actually turned out way better than anticipated. My heart didn't hurt near as much as I thought it would. I didn't feel the emptiness that I thought I would. It was another day with people whom I loved.

Then the decorations came down, Christmas was over, and a new year had begun. I scrubbed my house top to bottom, cleaned out all "the drawers" and closets and toys and cupboards that I have been meaning to for the last year. I wanted to start fresh. And then it happened. It always does. There are the highs and then there are the lows. Lately I have been trying to pull myself out of this low.... chocolate chip cookies, ice cream from cold stone, popcorn, late night movies, diet cokes.... all to no avail, I just feel fatter :).

I actually didn't expect that the new year would bring some sorrow, but it has. It will be the first of many full years without my little man. It will be the first of many years I will have to endure the trial that I have been given. It is interesting to watch myself go through these unexpected cycles of grief. It truly just comes out of nowhere. I think I am doing good.... and then bam it hits like a ton of bricks. It isn't fair. When does it stop? I am 7 months out. I can't believe that it has been that long, yet has it really been that long? I think that it never goes away, the waves of grief continue, just a little differently.

This year for Christmas I made a Daxton stocking and put what I wanted to do this year to better myself so that I might be able to return to him and be with him and raise him. Each night the girls pray that Daxton will know how much we love him and that we will choose the right so that we can live with him again, and we discuss ways to choose the right. They are simple for them now, but it will be more difficult as they get older. I hope that I can instill in them the desire to always want to do what is right so that we can be with Daxton again.

I was talking with my Aunt this afternoon who will be 80 on her next birthday. She has accomplished all that she wants to in life, she has set her goals and made them, she is living as righteously as she knows how. She is read to go. It will be sad when she dies, but she won't be sad when she goes. There are many loved ones in Heaven that are waiting for her. Oh how I envy her, she is so close.

There were some napkins at work we used on New Years Eve that had these listed: gain 10 pounds, work out less, eat more chips, and be late for work. I actually thought they were humorous. While they are not my personal goals, they would be attainable for me, but wouldn't necessarily make me a better person. This year I have set a few goals. I want to fulfill them so I have chosen a few that are actually attainable. There is no use in setting goals that you fail before you even start.

It is a new year. We should try new things, begin anew. January is a good month, a month to start over, a new beginning.

8 comments:

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I too, was a little blindsided by the unexpected difficulty of a New Year, and also had a very unexpected peaceful Christmas. The highs and lows are starting to make me feel like I'm losing my mind. I've tried to stop asking WHY and start asking HOW. How do I now live my life without Lucy? How do you want me to live? How do I have a firm mind?

It's so very very hard. I'm so impressed you cleaned your house top to bottom...feels so good. And when is your due date?

Thank you for sharing these thoughts. I loved reading them, even though it was reading about your pain. It helps me know we are in this together.

Annie and the Boys... said...

I love you my sweet friend!

Jessica Steed said...

I love you and hope that the cycles of pain become less frequent and less painful.
Hugs and kisses.

The Holland Family said...

You inspire me to be better. Thank you. I am 5 1/2 year out & some days are still so hard. They are so unpredictable too. I just never know. Some days my bed just feels like the best place for me. Thank you again for your inspiring words of encouragement. Love, Nicole - Mia's mom ^i^

Messy Jess said...

Even tho the lows are hard I hope you'll always be able to feel the bitter sweet joy of being able to have that experience with your precious little Daxton. I don't usually tell anyone this, but I lost 2 children before I was married to my sweetheart. I laid in bed for 2 whole months straight and if it weren't for the memories - I'd be a bitter anguished person with no hope for the future. It is better to have loved than to never have loved at all. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

marinda said...

thank you Britt for your sweet sweet testimony- i love you
love marinda

MaRilla said...

I love you Britt!

Lari said...

Hi! This is Kami's mom. I hope it is not weird to you for me to write here. (I actually do not have your phone number or address)I am sorry I have taken so long to finish the picture of Daxton. I am still working on it if you want it. As you may know, I also have a baby waiting for me to raise in the millenium. It has been 30 years! I can't believe it. I guess I never quit missing him, but I feel like he has been very close through the years. I think of him as our guardian angel. When my kids have been on missions or far from home, I know he watches over them. I have ALWAYS felt Heavenly Father's arms around me, knowing with all my heart that my son is near and that Heavenly Father loves us soooo much. I am so devastated about Adam's engagement. I don't remember feeling so sad for a long time. I know I am rude and selfish. I am so glad he is happy. I hope you have read Kami's blog. I think it helped me understand a bit better. Sorry this is so long and I will get the picture to you soon. Lari Smith