I posted this over on my friend's blog and thought I would share:
“If you had to choose which child to give back to me, which one would you choose?” were the thoughts that came to my mind when I was putting laundry away. I went through each of my children and decided that I wasn’t going to choose. “I am sorry, I just can’t choose. You will have to decide.”
It wasn’t until a few months later, that I was to find out which child would be chosen. My husband and I took our very first trip away from the kids in 8 years of marriage. We were traveling to Havasupai to spend the weekend at the grand canyon enjoying hiking, swimming, and the company of each other and friends. I prayed each night I was gone that my children would be safe until I returned, but I knew that something terrible would happen. And as much as that fear tugged at my heart, I also knew that I needed to go on this trip.
On June 9, 2008, I received the call that no mother should ever have to receive and no father should ever have to make. My worst fear had taken hold. “Brittany, its Daxton.” My dad told me that Daxton had been tangled in the blinds. He didn’t have to finish. And I knew. I knew that my little boy who had only been with me for 1 year and 9 days was no longer here with me on this earth. The drive home was long and painful with cries to a God whom I had relied on my entire life. My soul was wracked with more torment than I had ever before or since felt.
I started asking why? Why me Lord? Why was this happening to me, to my son? My only son. As I held his precious body in my arms, I could feel His arms around me. In the most trying time of my life, when my world was crashing down around me, when it seemed as if my life was over, I felt the arms of a loving Heavenly Father. I was not alone in this. He knew what it was like to lose a child and He was there to comfort me.
The next few weeks were a blur. My heart was numb. My brain kept screaming that I had lost my son, yet my heart just didn’t want to believe it. I would get in the car and be frantic because I thought that I had left Daxton somewhere. I would go to his room to get him out of his crib in the morning. I would set him a plate at the dinner table. I knew he was gone, but he was in my arms or at my feet his entire life. I had literally lost a physical part of me. A piece of me was buried in the ground that hot summer day in June. If it weren’t for my 2 other children, it is very likely I would have joined him.
My faith was shaken to the very core. I had always had a testimony. I knew the church was true. I knew that families were forever. I knew that bad things happened to good people. But, how could a loving Father in Heaven take away my son? How could I feel so much pain and that be OK with Him? I found no comfort in reading church books or talks, mainly because my brain literally could not focus for more than 5 minutes on any task for about 6 months, but also because there wasn’t anything that I didn’t already know that I could read about and feel better. I needed this time to truly grieve and that is exactly what I was doing. And I was alone.
I reflected back on an area conference that Elder Holland had spoken at. I was holding my little Daxton, who was 6 months, when I heard him say, (and I paraphrase) Where are you going to go? When life gets hard, where are you going to go? Are you going to go find solace in drinking, gambling, partying? Go ahead! But you won’t find happiness there. You will only wallow and make it worse. This is where you belong. Surrounded by people who love you and support you. Strengthened by the God who gave you life.
As those words came back to me, I realized that I wasn’t alone. I was surrounded by good people who loved me. The enabling power of the atonement was at work in my life. When I couldn’t get out of bed in the morning, friends would offer to take the kids, meals were brought in, laundry was done, all from the service of others. Tender mercies were granted when I found the perfect dress for the funeral, when I had a friend at my beck and call to do anything I needed her to, and when the week of the funeral went just as it was planned.
Just when I thought another day “alone” in my grief would do me in, I met Stephanie Waite (www.adailyscoop.blogspot.com). She was my PERSON! The one person who knew what I was going through as she had lost her 14 month old daughter just days after Daxton. I also realized that my Father in Heaven knew exactly how I felt. After all, He did send His Son, and He watched Him suffer. And my Savior knew what I was feeling because He suffered for all MY griefs and sorrows.
I could never say that losing Daxton was worth it. However, the lessons I have learned are invaluable and thankfully I have learned them and continue to learn them, because I would not be able to live with myself if Daxton’s death was for nothing. I am forever changed. I will never be the same person I was before Daxton died. There was my life before Daxton died and there is my life after Daxton died.
Friendships are different. There are some I no longer talk to and there are friends who have stood by my side cheering me on in their own way. It is hard to meet new people because invariably the question of how many kids comes up, followed by how old they are and then I have to decide, Are they worth me opening my heart up to them? There is the emptiness in my heart that not all my children are together. That Isabella will never know her older brother in this life and that Savannah and Mikenna will forget him as they get older.
It is hard to believe that Daxton would have been 4 this year. It is hard to believe that I am still here, that I have made it this far. Those early days of grief I thought I would never be able to make it another day. And here I am three years later. I am better. I am stronger. I have more compassion and sympathy, I know that families are forever and I will live with and raise my son again. I have been blessed by the healing power of the atonement. I am far from perfect. I still have the bad days, but thankfully the crippling grief comes less often.
22 comments:
Beautifully said. Thank you for sharing.
Someday Britt! Loved your post...I cried all the way through, but I loved it. YOU were/are my PERSON. I love YOU girl!
I still think Daxton and Jack and goofing off up there...typical missionaries! :)
wished you lived closer!
Loves,
Tif
Your testimony strengthens mine. Thank you-from the bottom of my heart-thank you. We are truly blessed to know that families ARE forever.
I have been thinking of you and Daxton for 10 days now. His birthday I thought of him all day. All week I have been thinking of tomorrow and what it is. I cried reading through your testimony and the strength you have gained through this. You are an amazing example to me. I love you forever!!
Your family has been on my mind this week for sure! Thank you for sharing. Your strength gives me strength. Love ya girl!
doug and brit and girls
know that you are all in our thoughts and prayers today and have been since Daxton's b-day.
we love ya bunches
love max and marinda and kids
You give me a lot of faith and hope that things can always get better. You are a strong woman.
Thinking of and missing you and yours today.
Sending happy thoughts to you. I have followed your blog since your Daxton went back to his heavenly home. Prayers that you will continue to have good days among the hardest.
Britt you are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your heart and testimony. You are so strong and such a great example.
Hey, found your post on the Exponent. I don't even have words to express it, but I hope God continues to bless you with a little more...
I love you, Brittany.
I hate that we have had to face this crap.
But I agree with you: losing Ella has not been "worth it." I'd trade everything I've learned in the months since she died just to have her back. But I do value the growth. My faith has become unshaken.
**HUG!**
i love you Brit, and your trial has helped us in ours. You will forever hold a special place in my heart and the hearts of my family. Daxton will Never be forgotten, those eyes, that smile, I will never forget him. He was sweet and perfect..He touched my heart.
Been thinking about you. Your post was beautiful. Can't believe it's been 3 years, soon to be 3 for us in another month. 3 years ago that I met you and realized I wasn't the only one suffering and had an amazing example in my life.
Love You Britt and your beautiful blue eyed Daxton!
Jen
I found your blog through a friends about a year ago. My first child was born the day you lost your son. I thought of the joy I experienced and the grief you experienced that same day. I don't know you personally, but I don't think there will ever be a b-day of his when I don't think of your son and it will remind me to never take anything for granted. My parents lost their first boy as a 10 month old. Even though I don't know him in this life, I still feel a relationship with him. I imagine your little Isabella will experience the same thing. Thank you for your testimony. Much love to you and your family.
Thank you for this beautiful post, Britt. I loved your little guy so much and I can't begin to imagine how much you miss him. Thank you for sharing the tender moments that helped you to survive. I hope I am one of those friends you can call at any moment. It was really good to see you and Doug the other day. Remember we love you!
Hey Brittany,
I'm proud of you.
Also, I was wondering if I could send this post to my sister. She recently lost a full term pregnancy. I know it's not the same, but I thought maybe this could help her. Do you know of any other groups that maybe could help with her?
Thanks,
Summer Cline
Thanks for sharing. I love how honest you are. I don't know you but I read your blog and I am laughing and crying right along with you. Thank you for being you.
I think of you and your beautiful boy often. Thanks for sharing.
Beautifully written tribute to your sweet blue-eyed Daxon. He's GOT to be proud of the strength his mama exhibits, even through the darkest days.
Thank you for your words. I think of you and your family often. You are in my prayers. Big hugs from across the country.
Hello my dear friend. I'm not quite sure 'how' I ended up on this post...forget it. I KNOW how. The Lord led me here! Britt, your strength through such a heart wrenching, gut wrenching, soul shaking, faith testing trial is unreal! I can't FATHOM what ALL these years have been like for you and Doug. I don't want to. Daxton was just 6 months younger than Jack. I remember hearing about his passing from Sheri. Oh how my heart ached for you. I remember getting ready for the funeral. I hadn't seen or talked to you since graduation. But I KNEW I just had to come to show you my love and support and PRAYERS were with you. But, I started having cramping (I was pregger with Joe) and it landed me in the hospital for some ultrasounds. I was in my second trimester, I believe. So I wasn't able to attend. It was also around the same time that Jack and Tyla had been diagnosed with autism, and my dad went to prison. Life was a blur for me as well in 2008. (For very obviously different reasons).
Anyways, I've been struggling, A LOT, lately. With James being diagnosed with autism as well, (4 for 4 can't beat those odds) and I find myself questioning my faith. I have been asking the why me's, and how could you Lord. I'm ashamed of that last one especially! And then I find your beautiful testimony in the middle of the night, on a post that is two years old. No, I KNOW how I ended up here tonight.
Britt, thank you. Thank you for your unwavering faith. Thank you for your openness and honesty about this unfair trial that was placed on your shoulders. Thank you for being the example of how we NEED him in our lives. ESPECIALLY when we are asking the how could you's! I feel so inadequate for my trials. But even more selfish that I call them MY trials. They are my children's as well. I know you also know the trials of special needs and the pure exhaustion that comes from that. All the more reason I so look up to you! You NEVER complain about that. Ever. You are for certain one special lady! I am just glad I know you, and feel blessed to call you my friend. Thanks again for sharing your testimony. And the Elder Holland talk as well. It touched my heart more than you'll ever know.
I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU!!
Post a Comment