Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Broken Hearts

Sometimes I feel guilty about not writing for so long. Not necessarily for the readers, but this is how it starts. This is how good habits are broken. Going one, two, three days, then weeks, and months without continuing the habit that has been formed. So I will try to do better. Of course, you readers are a good motivating factor for me.

As for the last quote, there have been many tears shed and I now await for the space to be filled with smiles.

When I was about 12 years old... ish, my grandpa was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma, cancer in the bones. He fought this battle for 4 years when the doctor only gave him 6 months to live. (don't quote me on the numbers, it was a long time ago) We spent many summers in southern Utah and on many occasions would find ourselves hiking the sleeping volcanos in Diamond Valley.

On this particular day, I was about 12 or so and we were up on the top of the volcano looking down. I am a bit of a chicken so when everyone was going into the volcano, I opted to stay on top. Another cousin and I began kicking the cactus (yes we are SO bright) and watching it be misplaced and soar through the air. One of my other cousins began to cry. She thought we were hurting the cactus (little did she know we would spend the next 3 days picking the needles out of our big toes) and eventually began to sob.

Since I am so sensitive sometimes to the needs of others, I began kicking more cactus. She became very upset and started to say,"you are breaking my heart." With some STRONG encouragement from my mother and aunt, my other cousin and I stopped kicking the cactus and breaking our cousin's heart.

I have had a few of these moments lately. A little piece of my heart has been broken. A little piece of my heart continues to break each time I see a picture I haven't seen before, remember something I hadn't before, see others around me with all of their children in tow, or walking through the store with my 2 girls and big pregnant belly with others staring like, "you are having more?" and really what I want to say is "yes, and I am missing one." Or going to the doctor and the nurse asking how I am. I say "fine" but what I really want to say is "well today marks the 7 months mark since my son passed away and I gained five pounds, thanks for asking." But then we would both be uncomfortable and where does that lead.

However, each day, just like picking the needles out of my big toes, I try to take out one little prick at a time, so that my heart can heal. I can't believe it has been 7 months. It will be 7 1/2 after the baby is born. There are so many feelings, so many emotions, so many that I can't even begin to describe. But each day hopefully it will hurt a little less and one more needle will be plucked from my heart.

8 comments:

Cailean said...

I love your posts - they are so real and help me to learn more about our Lord and Savior. My brother shared a great quotation with me when we were struggling with some health problems with our baby earlier this year: "God uses broken things. It takes broken soil to produce a crop, broken clouds to give rain, broken grain to give bread, broken bread to give strength. It is the broken alabaster box that gives forth perfume. . . .It is Peter, weeping bitterly, who returns to greater power than ever."

Amy S. said...

You're beautiful. That's all I gotta say.

jen said...

I've missed you! Keep hanging in there. A sunny patch has got to be around the corner!

Hubers said...

What a thoughtful story. I had no idea you were so close to delivery. Good luck. You'll be in our prayers.

julie said...

I love your posts. You are so good at expressing and explaining your feelings. I sincerely pray that the laughter will start feeling up your pain soon. I really like the quote left by Cailean. Hopefully it helps a little.

Eric and Brandi said...

I know you have no idea who I am, but I am Mandi and Kurtis's friend Brandi and I just want to say how amazing you are and how you inspire me so much. You are such an amazing women and so strong. if we only could all be more like you. You will continue to be in my prayers and thoughts. Hold to the rod its all we have as far as I know.

maricela said...

I like others are concerned about you in the absence of your postings.I check every night hoping to hear from you, but I go to bed sad that you hadn't written. You see at the end of my day I look forward to reading about you and your family. The deepest human pain is losing a child, but I know Our Lord is helping you every day. Please keep us posted, we care a lot about you. I pray for you and your loved ones. Stay strong, soon a beautiful light is coming your way , your BABY DAUGHTER.

MaRilla said...

Britt I love you! I am glad that you shared the story. That was a fun day! Thank you for sharing your thoughs and love with so many. Even if they make me cry, I still love reading. Your words are truly inspirational