Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Time and a Season

Off and on I have thought about going to graduate school. I just don't know what I want to be when I grow up yet. I want to do Neonatal Nurse Practitioner, but I don't know if I am ready to sign my life away to insane hours in the hospital. I would also like to teach, so maybe I could be an NNP who works for a little while and then teaches.... who knows.

Well often as you may know, when you apply to graduate school you go through a series of interviews. One of the questions I imagine them to ask is this:

"What do you do when you are in a situation and it doesn't go as you had planned?"

Seems fairly easy if you keep it general enough. I was sitting at work contemplating what my answer might be. This is what I came up with.

When I am in a situation, I look at all possibilities of what could happen. My knowledge is limited so I look to others are are more experienced than I am, whether they be professors, colleagues, friends, people with similar circumstances, church leaders, etc. I then take that newly acquired information and brainstorm with my own knowledge base.

I then come up with a plan. In order to be successful, I will need to come up with a couple of planes, in case the original leads to a new course along the way. As I proceed with that new plan, I continue to look around me at what has changed. The new plan is a apt to change hourly, daily, yearly, but the goal is always the same: to reach the best possible outcome.

My plan has changed, my situation is different. I have one goal set to accomplish and my route is generally the same. Sometimes different paths are made in order to reach the final destination or goal. At work, my goal is to keep the babies alive and safe. At home my goal is the same oddly enough. Sometimes our babies at work die, sometimes, but not always our babies at home die. We do everything we know how to keep them safe.

At work we suction them, feed them, watch for disease processes, and give them the treatments they need to accomplish the goals in order for them to go home. At home, we teach our children the gospel, how to live righteously, choose the right, and we set an example for them. Sometimes we are not always successful in these goals, but we do the best we can with what we have.

My life situation isn't what I planned for. I have to make a new plan, I have to go on. I think that we are given challenges to make us stronger to teach us to be better nurses, mothers, and better people altogether. In order to do this, we need to surround ourselves with people who are more knowledgeable so that we can learn from them. We need to have teamwork and collaboration with those we are working with; spouses, friends, neighbors, colleagues, etc.

As our knowledge and experience grows, we need to share with others what we have learned through our life experiences. I love my baby. I miss him so much, and I hope that some of my life experiences will me to learn and grow and help others to do the same.

loves

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Britt, your life experiences and example have helped me learn and grow SO much...and I'm sure more people than you will ever know agree with me. Thank you for that. I know your eternal reward for this "plan" you are faced with will be beyond anything imaginable to us right now.

Amanda said...

I read your blog for this very reason. I am trying so hard to learn from others so when my "trials" come I am prepared. I read your words and think "wow, how wise you are for being so young". I am not much older but my goal is to be as wise as you and Steph. I don't know my trials but in my PB I am told that I must prepare for what is to come. You are helping so many of us- whatever we will have to endure but in the end we know we will be so blessed- more than words could even express. I have 4 kids and I am so grateful for every sec I have with them in my home because I know that tomorrow is never promised. So keep up your wise words, faithful testimony, honest feelings, and sweet family- there are so many just eating up your words for our days to come:)