Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Friday, August 29, 2008

Before and After

Before June 9, 2008, I had only known one person who had lost their little boy Jacob. My heart ached for them when I saw pictures of their family with only a snapshot of Jacob in the background. I wept for them and felt overwhelming sorrow for them.

I loved to see Daxton coming down the hall and I put this hat on him and really thought he was a doll.

I never thought that the day would come when I would feel much the same way they do. I never thought I would have to reference the "before" and "after." My life was very much different in the "before" than it is here in the "after." I feel I have become a stronger person. (that which doesn't break you makes you stronger). I know that I have a long way to go before my heart completely heals and actually dread the day I don't have sorrow for my little angel boy. But I would really like to find the joy in the sorrow, because this is too much at times.

Savannah had a sleep study and it showed that she had 9 episodes of sleep apnea per hour. So we decided to get her tonsils out.
This is the morning before we went to the hospital.

I frequent blogs of fellow moms who have lost their little children and one of them I found, the mom stated on her side bar (paraphrasing) that she is not the same person she was "before" the her baby passed away and those who expected her to be the same "after" were not going to find that person any longer. I feel that I have become a different person. Sure I have the same likes and dislikes as I did before but I was talking with my aunt today about SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) and how to prevent it (she is pregnant with twins and of course we all worry something will happen to our babies). I told her that we really can't prevent God's will. At the same time, I wouldn't encourage wrapping your baby in a million blankets and putting them on a pillow while they sleep just to try out this theory, but we can keep our children as safe as we know how, but inevitable it is in God's hands. We need to align our will with God's.

Daxton loved the iPod. He loved to watch the "ducky" movie and the "Three Little Pigs"

I believe I have mostly done this throughout my life. I am an "acceptor" of the gospel to an extent. There isn't much I question, because I KNOW it to be true. I just know. I have from the time I was VERY young known that the gospel is true, so why question every single doctrine and principle taught by the leaders of our church? On the same note, I believe our knowledge will deepen as we study each of those doctrines and principles taught. I have just never really questioned them.

For family home evening, the girls and Doug planted a garden. The girls would take turns pushing a very unhappy Daxton in his cute pink stroller around the yard while the other one helped to plant the garden with Daddy. This is the corn about a month after :).

Lately, I have hoped and prayed that the Plan of Salvation is true and I have also prayed that the time I see my baby Daxton will come soon. I have gained a sure understanding of the Doctrine of the plan of salvation and have pondered and studied the ways in which I might be worthy to one day return to my Father in Heaven and raise my son.

Inside the "hurricane" (how appropriates) we all survived!!!
Lauren, Stephanie, Annie, Mikenna, Brittany

The Girls dressed up Lauren, Annie, Mikenna

Savannah dressed up like a firefighter
(notice the 5 missing teeth!!!)

I have gained a deeper knowledge of the "Plan" and have really been trying to better myself in all aspects of my life. Some days are better than others. Some days it is easier and some days it is harder to do what is expected of me, but as I do them to the best of my ability I feel that the atonement will make up for my shortcomings.

Mikenna has been taking ballet from Erica Sohlberg and
has enjoyed every minute of is. This is at her recital.
She is ok when everyone is doing the same thing,
but if she has to do it alone? Yeah right!!!!


Mikenna graduated from preschool... Is that right?
No not really. Here she is with all her friends
at her preschool graduation party.

I wanted to post some pictures and memories of the kids....PS they are soooo not in order :)

8 comments:

We are all "SPECIAL" said...

Such cute pics!! I always read your blog and am just amazed! You are so strong. I know words can't do it justice, but I admire you soooooo much!! I hope that if I ever have to face such a tragedy, (heaven forbid) I can do it with as much grace and faith as you do. I hope you can have a good weekend.

PS I love love love that pic w/ Daxton listening to the ipod. It's my favorite.

Jessica Steed said...

Brittany,
I really enjoyed this post.
You mention that you are a different person, that you're stronger.
In what other ways are you different than before?

Amanda said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I want to come to AZ and give you a big warm and tight hug! Heavely Father is so greatful that you are so amazing! You are teaching us all so much! THANK YOU THANK YOU! Trials are to make us "different". I don't know you but from reading your blog I would have to say that "different" means that you have grown in more ways than anyone could even imagine- that's why we have trials! YOU ROCK!!!! My prayers are with you all day long. HANG I THERE and keep posting- I am learning so much from you and Stephanie

Ike and Bethany said...

Hey Kunz family,
You guys don't know me, I found your blog through someone elses blog. What a way cute family. Your kids are adorable. I cried my eyes out when reading about your cute little Daxton. My Husband's brother and wife had a still born in the end of June this year and what a difficult time. My prayers go out to you and your family. It is so comforting to know that one day we will see our cute nephew Mckallister again and your Daxton. Thanks for all the wonderful stories you shared about Daxton.

Hubers said...

I love the pictures. I had a conversation with someone years ago and realize that the only way people are happy is if they grow. Even God grows. NONE of us can stay the same. It would almost be wrong if you didn't change after this. My prayers are still with you.
Love you.

vicki bennett said...

I don't know you , i just stumbled onto your blog from another one, but I just want to say bless your heart my prayers are with you for comfort, and Daxton was indeed a beautiful baby. May your days get better. Hang on. and thank you so very much for having your blog open to the public. It is a testimony for me.

The Karafa Family said...

Brittany- You may not remember me from Jr/Sr. High but I met you through Katie and Angie. I stumbled across your blog the day you posted the first news about Daxton. Words cannot express my sorrow for your family. I felt today like I should finally comment because I have been keeping up with you since then and your faith and understanding of the gospel has really touched me. You have also reminded me to take the time to love my children everyday. For these things I thank you so much. You are a wonderful example! -Mindy (Hunt) Karafa

Allisha said...

Brittany~
I too have come across your blog from another blog. I want to thank you for your blog and from a family that has lost three little ones, I too know that there are not words to take away the loss. Your babies are so beautiful. I also feel that there are no such things as only "accidents". The Lord does have a plan for us. We as parents have to only know that we cannot have "faith and fear" in our hearts at the same time. Thank you for your faith. You are amazing. You are in my prayers.