Lately I have had this thought that sometimes we put too much emphasis on the eternal perspective. Now while I don't agree with it 100 %, I think that there is some truth to it. I believe that everyone interprets different areas of the gospel differently although the doctrines remain the same. It is important for us to have opinions per se so that we may be able to share them with others and give different perspectives.
That being said the eternal perspective sometimes gets a lot of emphasis. But of course it does!!!! It is the reason we are here. It is the reason I get up in the morning, otherwise I would lay in bed and feel sorry for myself because of ALL THE TRIALS I have been dealt. (blah blah blah) Without this goal to look forward to or to have in store, there would be no purpose for me here on earth, right? I need the eternal perspective. I cling to the eternal perspective. It is what helps me to know that I will be able to live with and raise Daxton again. I NEED that. I have to have that.
Everyone needs a goal, something to work towards, otherwise we would wander aimlessly from point A to point B and seriously, where is the fun in that?
A while back I posted on "what I was looking forward to." It was a question posed to me my a friend. My response was nothing, I am glad for the now. I am not wishing my days away to some event or holiday.... at least not right then. I was just glad that I had 3 beautiful children and I could eat them all up every day and see the things that they were learning and learn with them. It was a "happy time" (LOL). What I didn't realize at that time was that the Lord was helping me to enjoy each moment with my precious Daxton so that I wouldn't have any regrets from "wishing away the time."
This is a frequent occurrence in my life. When I was in school, I wished away the time I would be finished. Whenever I was pregnant, I would wish away the time until I wasn't anymore. If we had a fun trip planned, I would wish away the time until that trip. Heck, I wish away the time until bed time when I have a little bit of peace of peace and quiet (funny since I only see the girls like 4 hours a day, how selfish is that?) And I missed all those events in between by wishing the days away.
Lately I have found myself going through the day to day wishing away the time to the eternities where I can see Daxton again. I miss him so much. In the meantime, I have been doing the mundane things of life and not really "enjoying" it. I don't want to miss out on important events in my girls life, just because I am wishing away time, so I have decided to stop and smell the roses, to sit down and play with the girls, to enjoy their birthday parties, their little chatter, and them playing with each other. Time is much more enjoyable this way.
While I find that it is important to have an eternal perspective in order to keep my eye on the goal ahead, I am going to stop and enjoy the here and now. It is the here and now that will determine where I end up in the eternities. It is the here and now I learn what it is Father in Heaven wants me to know.
5 comments:
Brittany thank you for this post. I REALLY needed it today. I am going to try much harder to enjoy the here and now. Thanks again. We love you guys.
Brittany, once again, thank you. My cousin just lost her 10 month old little boy today. Another tragic "accident" I don't understand why this keeps happening to people around me and my life is just "normal". I mean, not that i'm not totally grateful that nothing "tragic" has happened to me personally, but it's hard to stand by sometimes too. I have a deep love and admiration for you and the way you handle yourself in your own trial. You are amazing!!!
True, true. We do need to focus on the now as much as we can.
You are an amazing person. I would wish for the eternities too. I think it would be VERY hard to "enjoy" this life when you are longing to be in a better place with your baby. You said it though - what we do here and now will determine our eternity. You continue to amaze me in the way you are living now.
Such good news. I hope you don't mind a fellow LDS blogger commenting. (A fellow original Arizonan too)
Congratulations on your little baby girl coming your way.
I remember asking my sweet, "favoritest" sis-in-law how she made it through those extremely tough times...immediately following the tragic accidental death of her little boy... she too had a newborn baby girl and she told me that it was her baby girl and her little "baby needs" that kept her from free falling into extreme depression. Still, today...many years later, never a day goes by that they do not remember their "Jon Jon."
Good luck in your pregnancy. Any names?
Post a Comment