Dear Yoga Powers that Be:
I have been doing your exercises. Twice a week.
My arms are sore. My butt is sore. My abs are sore.
LOVE IT.
But I have a beef with you.
Corpse Pose. (this is where you lie on your back relaxing all muscles of your body in the dark)
Seriously. Why must this be the name? I mean really?
I can't even relax because all I can think about is my sweet little boy, lying in his casket.
And that isn't very relaxing at all.
Do you think you could change the name to "Laying down Dog" Or "sleeping baby" Or "fallen down tree" pose? I mean you have downward dog, upward dog, tree pose, mountain pose, triangle pose.....
That would be Awesome.
Yours Truly,
Brittany
4 comments:
Great post. I haven't done yoga since I went to BYU. I loved it when I did it, but I do get the dilemma.
I love yoga. After I get trained for Zumba this Saturday I want to get certified to teach yoga.
I like using the sanskrit words instead of the translation, so I always call it Shavasana which sounds a lot more calming than the alternative.
Or, maybe you could take your time in Shavasana to find peace with the idea that everyone on earth is or will be a corpse. It's symbolic of the cycle of life, and symbolism is a big part of yoga. For example, I really like Tree pose, not just b/c of the balancing, but because as the Tree, WE are the connection between the heavens and the earth. It's a very powerful symbol.
I hope you find peace in yoga and all your other endeavors.
Much love,
Jess
Oh my dear Brittany. The rest of the yoga world can eat it because we will come up with some fabulous substitution for our little class. Maybe we'll have to brainstorm this weekend while we're stuffing our faces and laughing uncontrollably!
Eek...I didn't know that was one of the pose names. I wouldn't like that either. :(
~Bethany
Post a Comment