Mikenna came home the other day from school and presented me with a paper. It was entitled, “When I grow up.” Beneath it she had written “When I grow up I want to be a mom and a nurse,” then drew a very cute picture of her as a nurse and a mom. Looking back, I wish that I would have kept it.
For as long as I can remember I have ALWAYS wanted to be a doctor. I wanted to be the boss. I wanted to write the orders for others to follow. (I know this comes as a surprise to you all)
Yes all those years of medical school and residency excite me. I have never wanted anything more that to sit through 40 hours of instruction only to study for another 50, then enter residency where I am a slave 80 hours a week to the next doctor who went to medical school and be tortured by the nurses (who are ALWAYS so nice) and the residents before me.
Before we got married, Doug and I talked about it. Talked about me going to medical school and how I would have kids and raise them too. It seems like such a long time ago. I went to school with the intent of pre med. I majored in Chemistry and transferred schools to start my prerequisites for med school. Look out University of Utah. Here I come!
The other day at work I had a little run in with a resident (the 3 to 10 years you spend working 80 hours a week getting hands on) and it was well interesting. It got me all riled up (I know… hard to doJ) and I was a little (ok A LOT) peeved about the whole situation which I won’t share just in case she reads too… and then there is HIPPA…. (you know the pamphlet they give you that you have to sign they gave you and then you promptly throw it away….yes, that is the one).
Made me wish I wasn’t the nurse.
That I was the doctor. Then maybe I would get a little respect. I mean come on. If she (or any other docs) would see me on the street or at the grocery store, I think they would at least smile and say hi…. But NOT at work. That is SO beneath them, or whatever.
I mean seriously… they aren’t any smarter than I am. I did nursing school full time with 2 kids and 9 months pregnant. I could do med school. Piece. Of. Cake. But I haven’t (note the haven’t).
Been talking to the NNP (neonatal nurse practitioner) at work who is going to med school. She is in her 3rd year and she is MY HERO. She did nursing school, she did her masters, and now she is in med school. But she is old. Not that old. But old. She inspires me. Currently I am on her path…. And I don’t know if I want to be.
Something to ponder.
1 comment:
My mom always regretted not becoming a Dr. I don't know how on earth you would juggle it all, but it seems to me, that if anyone can, it would be you. And believe it or not, I think it just gets harder as your kids get older. Having teens and toddlers at the same time totally ate my face.
Post a Comment