I have a friend who loves puzzles. She will do 1000 piece puzzles in a few days and 3oo piece puzzles in under a few hours. I am amazed each time I watch as she carefully places each piece of the puzzle in the correct spot. Only one piece can go it its own space. No two pieces are the same and no two pieces are interchangeable in where they lay in the puzzle. When the puzzle is complete, it is a great piece of work, planned with thought very carefully by the creator.
There are a million different pieces to this puzzle of the tragedy that we bear. Many people were involved and there were many players in putting it all together. Just one piece placed in a different spot would have completed a different puzzle for sure.
Here are a few pieces of the puzzle I am sure of:
1) I am sure that I was supposed to go to Havasupai. It was where I was supposed to be. I had only left my children one other time and we had been planning this trip for months. I had my reservations about my safety and the difficulty of the hike, but I knew that it was where I was supposed to be.
2) I knew that something bad was going to happen. I didn't know what or who or how, but I knew. I moped all the way to Havasupai and was even quite a bit mopey while we were there. I knew that this was a time for Doug and I to grow closer. So why did I leave you ask? I knew just as sure that I knew something bad would happen that I also needed to go. I have struggled deeply with this, but I know that God had a bigger plan for me.
3) I know that it was my sister who needed to watch my kids. I know this.
4) I know that my Heavenly Father is a true and loving Father in Heaven and He chose Monday morning to take my little baby home, so that I would be able to be there in the hospital. I am glad He chose Monday rather than any of the other days, because there would have been no way to contact me and if there was, it would have been very hard to get off the reservation with alternate plans.
5) The staff at the hospital was the best of the best. After talking with a few of the nurses they recalled that they would not have asked for anyone different on the team there for Daxton.
All these events and many others were orchestrated such that not one instrument was out of tune and no one was playing off key. Heavenly Father's plan is bigger than me. The pieces of my life are put together according to His will and my agency.
I am finally able to share pictures from the day of the funeral and the viewing. I thought that I was going to burn all these pictures, but am now grateful that I just put them in a folder deep in the heart of my computer.

This is only a small part of all the effort that went into the viewing and the funeral preparations. It looked beautiful. Everything except for the occasion was PERFECT!!!

The picture was taken right before we left the viewing the night before the funeral. I was kissing my baby good night for the second to last time.


There is always something to laugh about when Savannah is around . For those of you who know her, you know just how true this is....

I do not envy the role my father played during all this. He was the one who made "the phone call." When we got to the top of the mountain , I checked my phone as soon as I had service. When I saw there was a message, I knew that it could not be good news. My hands were shaking as I tried desperately to get a hold of my mom, dad, anyone.... I finally did and well let us just say, it was not pretty.

We may have been crazy, but I knew that little Daxton wanted us to speak at his funeral. I had previously asked my dad to do "special memories" but then we both came to the conclusion I was supposed to speak about the "special memories" and dad was to share his thoughts.

This was the last time I kissed my baby good night. I have another picture, but it is too full of heartache. So I decided to spare myself the embarassment.

So throughout this whole crappy day, I was glad that my hair looked FANTASTIC!!!! and this dress made me look 10 pounds lighter..... coul

I am grateful for my girls. They give me a reason to get up in the morning, when all I want to do is stay in bed. They make me smile and they make me laugh.

These are all the girl cousins that were at the funeral. I am so glad that they were all able to make it.

All of Doug's brothers and sisters were able to make it. It was so heartwarming to see them all make the effort and sacrifice to be with us on this day.
19 comments:
You are a beautiful woman. Your words are beautiful. How are we doing this? I am amazed.
That can't have been an easy post and I can understand why those pictures would sometimes be too difficult to look at. Thank you for sharing them with us.
It's amazing that even in the most difficult hours of our lives we can see the tender mercies of the Lord extended. Where would we be without them?
I have been following your blog for sometime, not knowing just what to say. I just want you to know how wonderful you, Doug,and your kids are. I've enyjoyed getting to know you guys, your parents, your bro's and sis. each month when I come to cut hair. Daxton could not have a better family. It is so wonderful that we do have the gospel in our lives. You are all in my thoughts and prayers each and every day.
P.S. It's crazy that you and Miss Molly have "met" each other through this. Her husband Vic was a good friend of Scott and mine before we got married. =)
Thanks for sharing these. In the middle of my tears of actually seeing pictures of the funeral I did think wow her hair looks good and wow, cute dresses, where did she get them? It was hard to see a glimpse of him in the casket. I can't imagine saying goodbye.
Isn't it amazing how you know that Heavenly Father was so aware of you and your family during this time? He could have just taken Daxton, instead he gave you promptings, and sweet acts of love, just for you. We really have a wonderful Heavenly Father.
I am thinking of and praying for you.
Loves.
P.S. You're baby boy will always remember a beautiful mommy.
I am totally crying. Thank you for sharing...
I can see one of your gifts emerging... You have quite a way with words! Thank you for continuing to write...
Wow, that was a tearful 10 min! You are such a strong person. Thank you for that post, I needed it...we are struggling alot with my little boy and I needed that kick in the butt to realize that I still have him and I need to be grateful for that. You will continue to be in my prayers..
You dont know me, I found you through A Daily Scoop, but thank you for sharing those special pictures. Your family remains in my prayers.
I have tears streaming down my face looking at those pictures. I can only imagine your pain, the pain my mom endured when my twin sister passed away when we were babies. I am sad for your loss and hers. Sincerely, Sheri
I loved seeing the pictures again. They are so beautiful. It was so nice to be together as a family and you know that we wouldn't have missed that for anything. We love Doug and you more than words can say. And.... your hair is always beautiful and you always look great!! We love you
Very sad and very touching at the same time.
I appreciate that you have shared this with all of your friends. Every time you make another post I just start bawling all over again. You are a very strong mother. I am inspired by your strength. I seriously doubt I would be able to handle this situation with half the class that you have. Again, I am so so sorry for your heartbreaking loss. Words cannot express the sorrow I feel for you on a daily basis. You and your family have been in my heart, thoughts, and prayers. {{{HUGS}}}
Thank you for sharing these pictues and memories. Like the other readers, my eyes are not dry. I can not even fathom your pain. You are a beautiful woman. I think of you so often. It is wild how this giant blog world can totally change your life by following the lives of others.
Your hair did look Fantastic!
Britt-
I come to your blog just about everyday. I smile and laugh at you girlies, and I sob and I miss your chubba bubba. I love your sweet little family so much and I want to squeeze you all. I need to see a huge toothless Savanna Smile and I can't believe Mikenna is in Preschool. That is crazy. She is so big. and Guitar Hero rocks and Rolls!
So, I wrote you this super long email a few weeks ago and then something weird happened to my laptop and then I never got back to it. The gist of it was that I love you so much, I love the gospel and I KNOW with my whole Soul you will be with Daxton again. and you will be his Momma and you will play and he will wipe his boogies on you and smile his huge chubby face smile.
I am writing a song for you two. Its called
Your Beautiful Blues. I will send it to you soon.
I love you.
I hope you don't mind I ready your blog... I found your blog through stephanie waite's blog a few weeks ago and I have been checking in, a silent listener, ever since.
I am so thankful for your post today. I, too, lost a baby boy. I look back and am grateful for all the love and spport that was available because of the Lord's timing. It amazes me that he is mindful of every aspect of our lives. He knows what we need and our hearts desires.
You are such a brave, beatiful woman and a wonderful mommy. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
I hope you don't mind me always commenting on your blog. I just can't even tell you what a profound impact your story has had on me, and I think of you and your sweet family all the time. Our lesson in R.S. last week totally reminded me of you, and they talked about how Joseph Smith only saw 5 of his 11 children grow into adulthood. Truly special people are called to experience such trials. I appreciate being able to learn from you and your experiences. Your thoughts and words AMAZE me, and I am truly impressed with how you're handling the most difficult thing a mother could ever be asked to endure. I wouldn't blame you if you never wanted to get out of bed. That would be a normal reaction in my opinion. I would think it would be the little things that would be the toughest (like you said not seeing him in your husband's arms as you went to work). My heart breaks for you--even though it is all part of a bigger plan. My thoughts and prayers are with you, as I know so many people's are. We are all rooting for you. By the way--you are one BEAUTIFUL girl, inside and out. LOVE the hair, LOVE the outfits, LOVE the inspiration. =)
I agree that everything but the occasion was perfect - even your hair:) Those pictures made me sob -reliving that moment. I can't imagine what you went through and what you continue to go through. Heavenly Father does know. I hope you don't ever blame yourself for leaving. You are a WONDERFUL mother - one of the best.
Bless you! My heart now aches with sadness for you. What a loss, a loss I can not begin to imagine. You and your family have now found a place in my heart and my prayers.
Post a Comment