I am a firm believer that God has a plan for all of us. He wants us to learn and grow through good times and bad times. He wants us to be more like Him, to submit to His will and accept that we are here to gain a body and learn how to use it in combination with our Spirit. In order for us to be able to grow to our full potential He gives us trials and stretches us to the point that we think we can be stretched no more.
Just as firmly as I believe God has a plan for us, I believe that He gave us our agency. We are free to choose. We can "choose the right" or "choose the wrong" (as I tell my Primary kids :)). Because of the agency we have been given, our Father in Heaven sent His Son to suffer and atone for our sins that we might be forgiven, have a clean slate, and be able to live with Him again.
So back to Accident or God's will. In Daxton's case, it was God's will that he return to Him. At any given moment He could have intervened. Our Father in Heaven has a purpose for us and Daxton's purpose was to come to earth, gain a body, and bless our home, even if it was for a short time. I think that when little children die, it must be Heavenly Father's will. He wouldn't willingly let His children suffer without a bigger purpose. When I think of losing Daxton, I am reminded that God the Father sacrificed His only Begotten Son so that we might be free to choose and to live with Him again. I feel yet a little bit closer to him.
I honestly didn't know that I could have so much love for another human being. Daxton was perfect. I remember my dad holding him on the table a few weeks before the accident and he said, "This is a special one, he will do great things." I rolled my eyes, but really I agreed. I knew he was destined for a greater purpose.
Agency in all this.... I believe God's will took Daxton from me. However, everyone has their agency. I have heard several tragedies from the ER. A woman and her family were sitting at a stoplight when a drunk driver ran into them at 90 miles an hour and killed the mother instantly. In my opinion, the drunk driver used his agency and took the life of that young mother. Again my opinion, when someone commits the act of suicide, they are using their agency. Is it God's will? I don't think I know the answer to that, nor would I even begin to touch it. When the mother who drowned her children in the bathtub because of postpartum depression. She was using her agency. Was it God's will? Again, I would never go there. I was just trying to think of exceptions to the Accident or God's will comment and this was all I could come up with.
No judgements are made on any of these examples. I don't know the situation of the individual or the mindset of them, and I sure wouldn't be able to comprehend such horror. There are just examples to me.
6 comments:
I can't remember how I found your blog, but all I can say is WOW! You are a very strong woman! I am so sorry for your lose. I can't imagine losing any of my children, let alone my 7 month old baby. I cried for hours after I read your WHOLE blog. You never know when it is your time to go. You have taught me to always say and do postive things towards my husband and children because I never know when I might lose one. Thank you for your lovely blog. May god bless you!
I totally agree that agency is a major role in it all, which in essence is God's will.
There is a book called Tragedy or Destiny. It is really great and addresses this topic. The wonderful thing is that our Father in Heaven already knows how we are going to use our agency, and he works His perfect plan around our imperfections.
You don't know me. I actually found your blog through a friend of a friend. My heart truly aches for your family but I wanted you to know that your words have been an inspiration to me. Your eternal perspective has really opened my eyes and has calmed so many fears in my heart that I have had about death. Since reading your first few blog entries after your sons passing, I have found myself constantly worrying about my loved ones and lying awake at night thinking about your family. Your last blog entry has helped me come to an understanding of life and death. I have often wondered about the line between accident and God's will and my conclusions fall closely with yours. I don't have all the answers, but I know that when it is our time to go, we must return to our father in Heaven. It is His will and His plan. I am so grateful for the knowledge of eternal families (as this helps to ease the pain) and I feel sorry for those who don't realize we have that to look forward to. I can't imagine losing a child, but I want you to know that your words have helped me to change. I strive to be a better mother to my children and a better wife. I am trying to be more patient, kind and loving. I find myself wanting more time to spend with my children and loving them every chance I can. I know your little boy is something special and very important to the Lord. How amazing that all he needed was a body and a loving family and he got to be called home straight to the Celestial Kingdom! Your family is in my prayers. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.
Brit, this is Big Al. It is now 2 am and Erica and I have just spent the last three hours discussing your most recent two posts. I know we aren't supposed to have spiritual hobbies; however, I am terribly guilty of courting the “God’s Will” query. I hope Doug didn’t mind me posing that question in EQ. As I concern myself with the variables associated with agency, mortality, and divine intervention, I find comfort in the one constant: if we so choose, the atonement of Jesus Christ will heal our pain. “… but if not … we will trust in the Lord.” You exemplify this in a most graceful manner. I am a better person for knowing the five of you. May you be successful in your late night wrestings with God. I am praying for your family’s good night sleep. Let’s do dinner. I’ll have Erica give you a call.
Britt thanks for sharing everything! Love you! Rell;)
Post a Comment