In 2005, I decided it was time to push myself to the limits. I had been awaking at the very early hour of 6am every morning (except Sundays) to run 6 miles. It was challenging, invigorating, and I was in the best physical shape of my life. I was also running my partner ragged, bless her heart.
I knew it was time, it was time a change. When I was in high school, there was a girl who told me that she wanted to run a marathon before she turned 18. I thought to myself, why in the world would anyone run 26.2 miles VOLUNTARILY!!!! She must me crazy. Well my turn came in 2005. I was in my prime, ready to take on the world (or something).
A girl friend from my ward and I started talking. We were going to do the St. George Marathon... crazy or not. We met up with a group of about 5 men and women and began our sweat and tears. We shared many a good moments and many a not so great moments in our 1000 miles of training together. We sweat together, we hurt together, and we prayed we could go the 22nd mile together.
I remember a particular morning on a training run, we had been up since about 415am and were on our 19th mile (with still 2 more to go). We wondered what we were doing to our poor bodies, why in the world were we doing this? We kept our eye on the goal and played a "game." The "I am grateful for..." game. We were grateful for our shoes, for our legs, for the shade, for the previous 19 miles we had already run. We were grateful we had water and sunscreen and hats and sunglasses. It was a not so pretty moment as we were grateful for various things. However, as we realized how grateful we were at a time when we were so tired, weak, and just ready to be done, we were able to carry on.
After all the sweat, tears, soreness, and two very expensive pairs of shoes later, we headed up to St. George for race day. It was exhilarating. The course was beautiful, the morning was beautiful, every one was excited and full of energy. Of course it wasn't all roses, one of the members of our group got the "flu" and was sick the night before and that morning, but she persevered. All that hard work was not going to waste on her.
We began the race, all pumped and ready to go. We had all the energy and excitement in the world, this was what we had trained for. The wind was blowing to keep us cool, we had water and gatorade, ipods (well something like that), and each other. It was invigorating. The first 7 miles, I hit my best time ever!!! It was all downhill (kind of).
And then came our first hill.... (dun dun dun). It was uphill for what seemed like eternity, really it was just a mile (JUST a mile HA!!). I felt like I was going to pass out, but this is what I had been waiting for, I still had 19 miles to go, I couldn't poop out now. So persevered we did. We said our "gratefuls" and up we went. Well you know that what goes up must come down and boy were we grateful for the downhill after that uphill. It was easy sailing. I thought "OH, this is easy..." and we continued on.
As we ran, we thought about the people who were waiting at each point to cheer us on, boy were we grateful for them. They boosted our energy, increased our confidence, and renewed our vigor to carry on. As we saw our husbands, they cheered and put smiles on our faces. Then came the halfway mark, 13.1 miles. Boy the countdown could now begin, we knew there was an end in our sight.
And then.... the wall. Everyone hits the wall. It could be mile 10, 15, 18, 21, 25, mine came at about mile 22. I thought to myself, there is no way I can make this. I can't do this, it is just too hard. There is a car right behind me that I could just wave my hand and he would pick me up and take me to the finish line, simple as that. Then I thought to myself, seriously? Seriously? You spent all that time preparing and training and eating right and all that TIME? And you are going to give up? Are you crazy? YES!!!! LOL. So I told my running partner and she said, "You can do it." I put my ear phones on and up ahead was the crowd.
They were everywhere, there were so many people cheering us on, little kids putting their hands out so that we could slap their hands. They were cheering for me, they were rooting for me. I knew that I could do it then. I said a prayer (one of MANY during that race) and off I went with renewed (well kind of) energy and mentality to continue with the race. I wasn't about to give up. I am not a quitter and if the one person in my group could go on after puking all night, then I sure as heck could. So I carried on. I ran my little heart out.
My friend and I saw the finish line up ahead. We looked at each other, grabbed one another's hand and raced for the finish line. 26.2 miles. We did it and we did it together. I know that I could not have done it without her. We knew the sweat and pain and heartache and soreness like no one else. We knew all the hours and money and time and sleep we gave up to accomplish this goal. And finish we did. It was another exhilarating moment, a real sense of accomplishment.
The marathon was complete and we had accomplished our goal.
15 comments:
you are an amazing, beautiful family. i sobbed through the video of your priceless, precious son. your daughters - both so vibrant,loving and obviously well-loved. i pray for you all for continued strength and hold you in my heart.
Isn't running amazing?!??!? I used to compare every hard trial in my life to running. Running is an amazing blessing!
I rememeber when you were up visiting me in Utah and you and Doug got up early to run and a watched your girls and I thought you were crazy when you came back and told me "yeah we did our 6 miles" What?? Little did I know that the big picture was 26.2. You are a little crazy! But I sure love you and all your craziness!!
My mom's motto is, "Only run in emergencies" and I happen to agree with her. I think you're totally crazy. But what I love about you is that regardless of your task you press forward and accomplish all that you desire. I've seen you do it many times before and I'm sure you still have great things in store for all of us!
Rachel runs cross country at the high school and they are big on running quotes - here are a few to keep you motivated:
"The only reason I would take up jogging is so that I could hear heavy breathing again." ~Erma Bombeck
"It's unnatural for people to run around the city streets unless they are thieves or victims. It makes people nervous to see someone running. I know that when I see someone running on my street, my instincts tell me to let the dog go after him." ~Mike Royko
"The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." ~Martin Mull
"I don't think jogging is healthy, especially morning jogging. If morning joggers knew how tempting they looked to morning motorists, they would stay home and do sit-ups." ~Rita Rudner
I hope those keep you going when you hit your wall.
Love, Tifani
That's awesome! My friend ran the Chicago Marathon last year on like the hottest day ever. I couldn't be there because I had a little nursling at home that couldn't be without me for very long. My friends kept me posted on her progress and I cried happy tears when I heard she had crossed the finish line. It really was a feat! Will you do another one? Did I miss that in your post? I continue to think of you every day. Hugs and prayers!
What a great story and uplifting analogy. Loved it.
That is a perfect analogy to life. You really have a way with words. You're definitely at an 'uphilll' point right now, but it's obvious a lot of people are thinking of you and praying for your family, so hopefully that encourages you. (btw--i'm always impressed with people that do marathons--that takes SERIOUS motivation/dedication!).
think of that incredible feeling, crossing the finish line--Knowing all those people had been cheering for you and then waiting to congragulate you on a job WELL DONE.
Makes me think of your little guy, cheering you on through this race, waiting to greet you at the finish line.
You have a BEAUTIFUL little family. I have not met you but feel I know you through your open honest words on this blog. Thank you for sharing with each of us.
i pray you will continue to have the enurance to run strong through these uphills. You seem to have a solid testimony and a bright attitude. I'm sorry you have this trial to endure. Please know you are admired and loved by many.
I get tired just reading that. What an incredible accomplishment. You are an amazing person in so many ways. Love ya!
What an EXCELLENT (real life, no less) analogy to life!!! You can do it!
Just wanted you to know that I'm here and thinking of you all! :)
Wow! I just ran a 10K and wonder how in the world ppl run marathons. But someday .. someday I will be crazy enough to run all 26.2 miles. My next race I want to run is only a half marathon .. so I'll work my way up and keep you in mind! You are amazing!
good for you! I am so glad you ran that. Are you training again?
by the way. Hang in there. I just got back from one of my best friend Stacies home in cali(you posted on her blog) she lost a child too. It is interesting to read your thought they are so much the same as hers. the Lord loves you.
You amaze me in so many ways! I say I want to run a marathon someday, yet an injury could impact my ability...I still swear I will some day try. Maybe after the heat goes away this year I'll get back into running.
I was extremely moved by this post (like so many others of yours). I'm so glad that there are people cheering me on in my marathon of life. I certainly believe that many are cheering you and Doug on during this part of your race in life. I certainly am.
I have yet to read your blog without tears in my eyes. That day has changed my life forever. Words cannot describe the impact, yet somehow I'm okay with that. I wouldn't want words to take away from what I've learned and experienced because of those 4 days. I love you both so much, though I only spent a few days with you. That trip is certainly one for the books. I'm grateful that I have a testimony of the Gospel and can look at things from an eternal perspective...though it doesn't always make it easy. I'm sure you feel that daily, if not moment by moment. My thoughts and prayers are with you very often. You amaze me! You both amaze me! I have grown so much by reading your blog. I rarely make a comment because I'm not sure that I could say anything that others haven't. I just want you both to know that I love you, I pray for you and you are an inspiration to me. I hope our paths will cross again some day.
Post a Comment