Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Sunday, August 10, 2008

After the Race - Part 2

While you run, all those who have been training with you are the ones you rely on, draw strength from, and share the sweat and tears with. It isn't until the end of the race that you get to see those who have been silently cheering you on.

When you cross the finish line, it is like no other feeling. You see your loved ones, in this case my husband and other various family members. There are treats such as ice cream, bbq, water (of course), oranges, bagels, anything you could imagine.

I remember just having the "runner's high." To me, it was the ultimate accomplishment for me as a runner. I had set a goal and achieved it to the best that I could. My time wasn't as good as those before me (obviously). I just went at the speed I could with the endurance that I had and performed as well as my body and mind would allow me to.

As I explained this to Doug, I could see the pride in his eyes (or something). He knew I had done my best. He knew this was important to me. He listened to me chatter on and then he helped me in my ice bath and listened to me whine about all my soreness for weeks.

I relate this story much to life. There are uphills and downhills. We are here to be tested. Nobody ever said it would be easy, nobody ever said we wouldn't have deep sorrow, nobody ever could imagine the happiness we would feel or the joy we would feel also.

We were however promised that we would be sent here for a purpose. To gain a body and to learn how body, mind, and spirit all worked together toward one goal. To return to our Father in Heaven. He gave us a set of commandments to follow, much like my marathon training schedule. He gave us trials, much like the uphills I had to climb. He gave us downhills, so that we could draw strength from them and recover from those uphills so that we could have the faith and endurance to climb the next hill.

At the end of the race, or our lives, we will be able to see those who are silently cheering us on. They are rooting for us, they want us to join them again with our Father in Heaven. They pray for us and comfort us in our very darkest moments, so that we can draw strength from them and endure just one more day.

10 comments:

Alisa said...

So simple, yet so profound. Thank you for that analogy,as sometimes a mother's life seems to be all uphill. I guess we have to keep focused on the finish line and our loved ones, especially your precious baby, are there cheering for us and our victorious finish.

Stephanie Waite said...

beautiful. I have thought this analogy too when running but haven't ever run so far. I can only imagine how much more real this analogy is to a marathon.

what do you do when you hit "the wall" at mile (hmm let me do the math here - if i live to be 80 that makes me about 2/5 through my life. 2/5 of 26 is about 10 miles?) Ok at mile 10 - hey that actually makes me feel better strangely enough. I guess in my mind it still feels like mile 3.

Ok enough gibberish. love the analogy. Glad to have such awesome running mates like you.

stephanie

Natalie and Logan said...

That makes me want to run a marathon. What an acomplishment. Thanks for the analogy.

Nilda Noel said...

Beautifully said. It reminded me of an impression I had the first time I walked into the Celestial Room. "This is what it's all about." I fully believe that the exact though I will have the moment I cross through the veil for the final time. "This is what it's all about." The heart ache, the tears, the trials, the loss, the love, the laughter, everything...it is all about the moment that we return Home. I remind myself of that inspiration when I wonder why some things in this life just aren't what I hoped for. I'm grateful for your example. Your posts remind me of the eternal perspective in a very real way.

Philip, Melissa, & Summer said...

A friend of mine has been trying to convince me to run a marathon with her. I told her I would think about a half marathon. This gives me some encouragement. I think it would be good for me to at least train for a half marathon. However, I went running for the first time the other day since having Scott, and I thought I was going to die. I only ran one mile and my heart felt like it was going to pop out of my chest. Anyhow, It sounds like it was a great experience for you.

Sue said...

This brings to mind the hymn we sang in Relief Society today.

Be Still, My Soul (verse 3) Hymn 124

Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last. by Kathrina von Schlegel

Your baby boy will be meet you at the finish line:)

Amanda said...

I can so relate to this analogy. I am also training for a marathon and have had many many miles to relate my running to my life. You said it so perfectly. I pray for you! My heart goes out to you more than you could ever even know. I have 3 girls and a boy at the end. We all have trails..... at some point in our lives our trials will be unbareable. You are helping so many of us for "our day". I will remember your faith and testimony so I will get threw my trials. We are so blessed to have the gospel! We are all cheering for you Britany.... Hang in there!!!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Your posts are so insightful. I can only imagine the joy that will be waiting for you and your family at the end of your race--one adorable little boy as well as many others that are cheering you on. As tough as it is now, you're right--it will all be worth it in the end. Your analogies are spot on!

MaRilla said...

Thanks for sharing Britt. You are an amazing inspiration. I love you, still. It seems as though we had the same feelings during the marathon. Some day we need to do one together.

kristi said...

This post is amazing....and so true.