Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Monday, September 14, 2009

A Lesson on Love....or something

Yesterday in Sacrament Meeting the talks were on How we can show love to our spouse and our children. Both of the speakers did a phenomenal job. I would like to give my own thoughts and maybe sum up some of what they had to share.

The first speaker had previously asked her husband in what ways did he think she showed her love toward him. His reply surprised her when he said that he thought it was when she made his lunch and cooked his dinner. This answer surprised me as well, but there is also a lesson learned here too. The little things are what matter. It is the little daily things we do for our spouses that count. That they remember.

Another thought she shared was to find something that our spouses DON'T like to do.... and then do it for them. A caveat she added was if you DON'T like to do it either, then just do it once in awhile :) LOL. Like for me, I STRONGLY DISLIKE emptying the dishwasher. In fact, nothing else even compared to how much I dislike doing it. I don't know why. I would rather load the DIRTY dishes!!! SOOOO, my sweet husband has taken on the one chore I LOATHE. Every once in awhile, I will unload the dishwasher (ode to the day the girls can do it by themselves).

Another such chore would be taking out the trash. I like nothing more than FILLING it, because that means a clean house, BUT I really LOATHE taking out the gargage, especially the one in the garage with the dirty diapers. Once again, my husband has taken upon himself this chore, and every once in a LONG while I will do it for him. I am not sure if he shares in my LOATHING of these chores, but he continually does them for me.

We should also put our spouses first. Before our children. I have a hard time with this one because for the last 3 years I have had a baby or a toddler and truth be told, they scream louder than my husband and after caring for them all day and clinging to me, all I want is a little peace, time to myself, and then I CRASH on my pillow.... only to begin another day of neediness (which I really do LOVE by the way. Really). But sometimes my poor husband doesn't get all the attention he deserves.

It is important to remember that we were once madly, deeply, head over heels in love, can't see anything else but you kinda thing. (not that we aren't anymore, we just have 3 other people to look over now:)) And we need to continually nurture that love; spiritually, emotionally, and physically.

And that my friends is my soap box for the day. :)

***If you find yourself repeating this phrase... "If my spouse loved me, they would (do this, know this, see this) etc." You will FOREVER be dissappointed!!!! They don't know what you are thinking. They don't have mind reading skills. You MUST COMMUNICATE :)

***I also have listened to a great CD, it is by John Lund For all Eternity. SUPER good!!!

3 comments:

jen said...

I read a great book about this, called "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands." It really opened my eyes to the things that matter to men. And I've tried to change. It was mostly temporary, but I do try to remember sometimes!

Amy Rapier said...

Thanks Brittany, this was good. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I needed this. :)