Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Activity Days

In our church there are different age groups that meet together to do different activities for service or development or fun. One particular group is the activity day girls. They age from 8 to 11. Today one of these groups, led by a great friend of mine, performed the greatest act of service.

About a month ago and old friend called me up and asked me if her group could make Daxton boxes for their activity. I was speechless, greatful, and excited to see what they would do. Over the last few weeks we have met together, talked on the phone, and emailed to hash out the details.

I met with the girls today and it was such a great experience. As I watched all of them come in, I felt their spirits. Each eager to learn, eager to serve, eager to do what had been asked of them. Their smiles brightened my day.

As I was introduced by my friend I had so much to say. I wanted to say just the right thing. I wanted to convey to the girls just how special the Daxton boxes were to me..... I stood up and introduced myself and then proceeded to tell the girls about the Daxton box, the eagle project, and the ongoing donations we have been able to receive in order to help other families just a little bit.

I really didn't want to stand up there a blubbering mess and have them only remember the lady with the squeaky voice that they could barely understand, so I choked down my tears and told them my story. A hum of "ahs" was heard when I told them my little angel had passed away. It was actually really sweet. I told them about each of the items they were going to make and why they were in the Daxton box.

I hope that it was what my friend wanted. I wanted to convey how grateful I was that they were doing this for me and what it meant for other mommies and daddies who had lost their babies and that they were helping them in a small way that no one else could. I hope it was everything she wanted because I know that she has put a lot of effort into this project..... as I know the work that goes into it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH DONNA. YOU ARE TRULY AN ANGEL. And a big thank you to all the many hands that made this activity day a great success.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

That is really cool that they picked the boxes for their project!!! Yay!
I was so happy to run into to you yesterday!!!! Sooooooo good to see you! :)

Jessica said...

All right - you are YET again another inspiration. I am in the Primary Presidency {here in Driggs} and we do not have an achievement day leader yet... so I get to do it this week. I was just asked this morning and kinda have been having small anxiety attacks about it. I just am kinda not very creative. I WOULD LOVE TO PUT TOGETHER A DAXTON BOX!! {with the girls}
What do I need???!!! Please email me jessicadriggs@hotmail.com
This activity is on Wednesday - is it possible? Well I know all things are possible, but......
This is something that is obviously close to my heart as well.
THANK YOU!

Jessica said...

Sorry.... Think how cool it would be to have these girls make it and possibly present it to THEE STAKE PRESIDENT - {your father-in-law} double benefits -eh'??!!