Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Friday, October 24, 2008

Prayers answered and Unanswered

Sometimes prayers aren't always answered in the manner we want them... obviously. It is all in the Lord's time, which is hard for us because we don't really know what that is. When Savannah was born and she was so small and wasn't eating, we prayed every day that she would grow and eat and be healthy. There was a ward fast for her as well where we prayed that she would learn to eat. It wasn't until 3 years later that that prayer was answered. (now be careful what you wish for here, because now I can't get her to stop eating). However, point is that our prayer was answered, maybe not like we thought it should or in the time frame we would have hoped, but it was answered nonetheless.

My prayers are pretty simple as of late. I pray that I will be able to get out of bed, that I will be able to take care of my kids, that I will be able to complete the tasks that I am expected daily. I pray that I will have a good attitude, that I will find peace, that Daxton will be safe, that he will know how much I love him. I continually pray that my girls will be safe. Which leads me to something..... I pray all the time that my kids will be safe... what exactly does that mean? I prayed that Daxton and the girls would be safe when I went to Havasupai. I prayed that all would be well. I prayed like mad each night I was gone that I would return and all would be well. However, in my heart, I knew that it wasn't to be. I didn't really know what would happen. I didn't know the depth or heartache or tragedy that was upon us or to be given to us, but I knew that this time this prayer wouldn't be answered in the way I wanted. (that being said, I knew I had to go. I struggle daily with this) Does that mean that God didn't keep my children safe? Depends on how you look at it. Where is he "better off" so to speak? Where is he truly safer? Honestly? With me, but in reality, with Father in Heaven. So did he keep my kids safe? My reasoning says yes (of course my heart says another).

Some people shy away from prayer when they are having problems, they think that God isn't listening or they are mad at him or something. Honestly? I haven't really felt like that, at all. The first thing I did was pray, it was the only thing I knew how to do right at that moment. I didn't think of anything else that would help. I couldn't of course pray that Daxton would magically come back alive, but I prayed for peace. I prayed that I wouldn't become bitter. I prayed for understanding. I prayed that the "what ifs" and "why mes" would go away. I prayed that all those this had effected would be comforted. I prayed that I would be comforted. I still pray for these things, depending on the day and the triggers.

One particular day I was thinking to myself, 'surely I am not the only person in this whole world who has lost a child.' I actually prayed that I would find those people, that I would be able to relate to them and talk to them and find some comraderie (not really the word i am looking for but it is almost 1am) Not a week later did I find Stephanie, a mom who lost her baby 6 days after Daxton passed away. We emailed, talked on the phone, and then finally met. This may sound terrible, but I slept better that night knowing I was not the only mother that was grieving at that time. Since then I have met countless moms who have lost children. My prayer was answered.

I still long for the peace that will settle in. The understanding that I hope will come. There really isn't anybody who truly "knows" how I feel but Father in Heaven, there really isn't anybody I can pour my heart out to who will really understand the hurt, anger, and grief I feel except for Him. He is the one I cry to the one I draw strength from. Without prayer, I would lose my biggest supporter and then where would I be? who knows.

16 comments:

marinda said...

Brit & Doug & girls,
I Love You all so much-we pray for you every day to have peace & comfort. Today we'll pray extra hard! Hold on- the Light (our Savior) will come!
Love, Max n Marinda n kids

Stoker Family said...

You don't know me. My cousin is good friends with Kami Smith and through her I heard your story. I haven't been able to get your family out of my mind the last few days. Maybe because Heavenly Father knew you were struggling and needed a few extra prayers. Your little Daxton is so precious. I can't believe how perfect he is. Your story has made me stop and appreciate the little things my boys do each and every day. I will continue to pray for your family each day and night for the peace and strength to get through the hard days and the good days, too. Thank you so much for sharing your feelings through your blog and letting me feel of your testimony and strength in the gospel. You are an amazing person and a great example to me! I love your family even though I have never met you. Our Savior loves you and wants nothing more than for you to be happy. I can't even fathom what you are going through, but I know that you can lean on those who love you when the hard times come. Thank you for writing about the hard days, those are the days that I will pray extra for you. Ok, now I am silently crying for you. I am sorry! Have a great weekend!

Amber

Joanne Brown said...

I know you don't know me - I've been following your blog for a couple of months and just want you to know that I remember you and your family in my prayers and ask for our Heavenly Father to give you comfort and peace. Just wanted you to know that. Joanne x

MaRilla said...

That is very beautifully said Brtt. Thanks. I Love you! Rell

Hubers said...

Sometimes I want to help and say something profound, but there's nothing. I just wast you to know that I'm reading and listening, and feeling as much as I can with you.

With love.
Summer

Heather said...

Brittany,
I love this post. I love that you say you've never felt the urge not to pray, no matter what you have been going through. We continue to pray for you, too. I'm glad to have you for a friend and to have your thoughts to inspire me from day to day.

Love you!!

Jessica Steed said...

Britt,
I admire your faith that prayers are answered.
I really struggle with this and I haven't had tragedy like you have had to deal with.
Thanks for your post. It is beautiful and so heartfelt, like all of your writing.

Tina said...

I have a 13 month old daughter in heaven. You are not alone. I love your blog. Your prayers are the same as mine and normal.

Tina

Tiffany said...

Great post! I am reminded of the Garth Brooks song, "Unanswered Prayers". "Some of God's greatest gifts, are unanswered prayers." I love reading your sweet posts. They are so inspiring. I am always lead to some new prospective and feel such gratitude, despite our circumstances. We'll see our boys, then we'll have to live close so our boys can play and grow up together. :) Have a great day and know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

loves,
Tif

Bridget said...

Thank you for your post. It's the only one I've read so far. One of my friend's just reccommended that I read Stephanie's blog (I clicked on your link from there). It's been 4 and a half weeks since my son joined yours and Camille. My heart goes out to you. You're definitely not alone.

lovinglife said...

Your blog is an inspiration to me. I don't know you, yet as I read I learn so much. Your little Daxton is so precious. Those big blue eyes are just beautiful. I can't imagine losing one of my children. I cry and cry reading of your journey as you've lost your baby and I can't imagine your pain. Thank you for being so real and for sharing so much. Your little boy's death is not in vain--so many have been touched by your story and I love thinking of Daxton being your little missionary. Maybe this was and is truly his mission on earth. Thought and prayers.
Darcy in CA

Natalie and Logan said...

We love you! We're looking forward to seeing you at Thanksgiving time. Logan and I just bought Settlers of Catan. Logan says that you and Doug play it all the time with your friends. We're trying to copy you and get our friends to come and play it with us too. I also made muddy buddies the other day, it was inspired by you because you made them at the cabin and I've been craving to have them again ever since. Love ya

Kendall said...

This will be one more of those "you don't know me, but..." comments. I found you "blog surfing" one night. Your family is beautiful and your posts are so very touching. Although it seems that you have a great support system, feel free to contact me if you'd like. We lost our sweet daughter, Elle, 6 years ago to a heart defect. I still pray for her to be safe and and loved and I still check on my boys at least once before I go to bed.
Just know that you are not alone, it does get easier and although it seems impossible; you will be happy again.

Thoughts and prayers,
Kendall
kendallpeterson@gmail.com
peterson411.blogspot.com

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

He is our greatest supporter. I needed to be reminded of that tonight. I have a large wooden carving of the words, "Someday" in my bedroom. I think of you every time I see it. (You have said it is your theme..Someday, just not now). It's like those wooden words people have in their kitchen (Cucina) or that say Simplify, or whatever. Anyway, you get it. I found it at TJ maxx and have been keeping my eye out for another one for you. I love it...Someday, just not now.

Sara said...

I just found your blog through Bridget's. I too have lost a child. My story is a little different as we knew that our daughter was going back home. We were with her in the hospital and holding her as she passed. However, before we unhooked her from life support, we prayed. It was my first thought to pray. I prayed that I would be strong enough to let her go, and I prayed that she wouldn't hurt as she was leaving us. No mother should have to do this, but having the gospel helps so much! I wish I could give you a big hug! My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Larsen said...

I know just what you mean. For months before I lost Gavin I would pray so earnestly that he would be okay. And it didn't feel right. I Knew something was coming and the Lord was trying to prepare me, but i didn't want to hear it. So I ignored it. I learned that if the Lord it trying to prepare you LISTEN because you can't stop what the Lord has planned by being unprepared. Your have a BEAUTIFUL little boy.