Elder Wirthlin, one of our apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, spoke in a semi annual conference this last month and his words were, "Come what may and love it." His mother had spoken these words to him after a tumultuous game of football at the University of Utah that didn't have the expected outcome they would have hoped.
This was the title of his talk, "Come what may and love it." I have pondered this thought many times and for long periods of time. While Daxton's passing is part of the "Come what may," I don't think I love it. I love him, but I don't love that he is gone. Maybe someday his passing will be bittersweet, but I don't know that I will ever "love it."
However, there are a lot of other things that I can put that phrase to. Like the spilled milk on my brand new clean and spotless floors. Like the spilled chocolate all over the counter because Savannah wanted to see what was in the bowl that everyone was licking from. Like all the toys falling from the shelf because the girls were playing dumping dodo heads. Like the broken cups, plates, or even the hand molds. Like the money stolen from my account (which has since been put back in thankfully), or the twisted ankle. All of these things are daily and "Come what may, I can love them."
We are all given trials and while some are not the ones we would have chosen, our attitudes are what define us. Our attitudes will define how we deal with the trial, grief, and sorrow. Our perspectives will depend on our attitudes and even vice versa. What will we learn from our trials? How will we learn to "love it?" or better yet, embrace them, accept them?
6 comments:
This was a wonderful talk and a wonderful blog. I hope I get to meet you someday. I think you are wonderful.
Thank you for your beautiful words.. I love that quote and I think it might help my son who is missing his brother something bad lately. Thanks again for the wonderful inspiration and words of love. I pray you have a wonderful day.
You are so inspiring. Thinking of you & your family daily. Hope the pregnancy is going well!!
~Kristi from WI
You are so brave!
Love you Britt!
Brittney,
I'm with you on this one. I miss my little Holly terribly. She was taken from us about two weeks after Daxton. Some days are better than others. We really enjoyed confrence too. I don't think Heavenly Father expects us to love this trial, but just to except it and try not to complain too much. I know he will make it all right and better than it ever could have been. I have to look at the "big picture". I picture Holly running to me with her little two year old legs, when our Savior comes again and I try to imagine how happy we all will be at that time. This blog does help. Thank you for sharing. One of these days I'll figure out how to set up my blog. I'm just technologically challenged. later Jeanenne
Post a Comment