So I have been reading or skimming a book called "The Life Beyond" by Robert Millet and Joseph McConkie. In it there is a chapter titled "When children die." I had been pondering a thought "why me?" A perfectly valid thought, but selfish at best. I have been corresponding with another mom who has lost her baby and she made a comment, "why not me?"
In the book I was reading a particularly interesting part... and I quote:
"Why do some children die and others live? Lacking a memory of what went on before... we as Latter day saints are not in a position to provide all the answers to all the questions that might arise. We rest secure in the knowledge that God is our Father, that he is intimately acquainted with each of us, that he knows the end from the beginning.... We rest secure in the knowledge that God knows what is best for each of us, and that he will bring to pass those conditions which will maximize our growth and further our opportunities for exaltation.
An eye of faith provides a heavenly perspective. Joseph the Seer asked, "Why is it that infants, innocent children, are taken away from us, especially those that seem to be the most intelligent and interesting?" ... he found a partial answer to this most difficult question, "The strongest reasons that present themselves to my mind are these: This world is a very wicked world; and it is a proverb that the 'world grows weaker and wiser'; if that is the case, the world grows more wicked and corrupt. In the earlier ages of the world a righteous man, and a man of God and of intelligence, had a better chance to do good, to be believed and received than at the present day; but in these days such a man is opposed and persecuted by most of the inhabitants of the earth, and he has much sorrow to pass through here."
I have decided I am the type of person who is always up for a challenge. I decided it would be fun to run a marathon... ok done! I thought it would be a good idea to go to nursing school with 2 kids and one on the way... done! I like to have a full plate and I like to keep busy. I am happiest when I have stuff to do and deadlines to make.
The other day I was talking with a friend of mine and I mentioned that I am always up for a challenge. Seems as though Father in Heaven also thought I was up for a challenge. I imagine (well my dad imagined in his talk at the funeral) that in Heaven, before we came to earth Father in Heaven and I had a conversation that went something like this.
"Brittany, I have a very important task for you. I want you to raise my special spirits. I am going to send you 2 extra special ones, one will stay try your patience and you will learn and grow from her, she will teach you to love, and teach you to laugh. I will let her stay with you for most of your mortal life. I will also send you a special little boy. He will be with you for only a short while for I have a mission planned for him here with me. It won't be easy. Are you up for the challenge?"
"Yes Father, but I will need your help. Your son sacrificed his life for me so that we can be together forever as a family. I will need you to listen when I cry, I will need you to help me endure the pain and heartache that I am sure to feel. I will need my son to comfort me when I need him most. Please Father."
Then there was a voice in the background, "Father, can I help?"
"Yes, Lauralie. You can."
And so it is. I know Daxton is serving a mission in Heaven and he is helping me serve a mission here. All of my brothers and sister have served missions and I will be the only one in my family who was unable to serve a full time mission in my "youth." I now know what my mission is.
One more quote if I may,
Elder Bruce R. McConkie said: "There are certain spirits who come into this life only to receive bodies; for reasons that we do not know, but which are known in the infinite wisdom of the Eternal Father, they do not need the testing, probationary experiences of mortality. We come here for two great reasons- the first, to get a body; the second, to be tried, examined, schooled, and tested under mortal circumstances, to take a different type of probationary test than we underwent in the pre-(earth) life. There are some of the children of our Father, however, who come to earth to get a body- for that reason solely. They do not need the testings of his mortality."
18 comments:
I love reading about all things you are learning. It helps me understand our meaning here a little more...or maybe just remember that meaning a little better. You and your family continue to be in our prayers and in our temple's prayer lists.
We love you!
-Summer
You are so amazing! You know, I never met Daxton as so many who have commented on your blog. But look at ALL the lives he has touched! It is truly amazing that through this tragedy, your family has reached out and touched so many peoples lives. Thank you Doug and Brittany. May Heavenly Father continue to guide and bless your lives.
Britt-
I know this is a very hard time for you in this life. Your strength and wisdom truly amaze me. I want to thank you for strengthening my testimony of the gospel. Watching you go through this trial in your life has been so hard but yet such a faith builder for me. You truly are amazing and I'm so blessed to have you as a friend for so long. You've always been such a good example to me through some hard times in my life. Including now. I love you and pray for you always!!!
Ang (bonehead)
I look forward to checking your blog everyday. You always say so many things that strengthen me. love yer guts! :)
This is beautiful! Seriously thank you for taking the time to post that. What an amazing perspective. I KNOW Heavenly Father knows us and gives us what we can handle. You of course have to be amazing people to be given this trial. That's how I see it! I pray the Lord continues to bless you and give you the peace you deserve.
Brittany, your words are inspiring to me and bring me to my senses a bit more. I think I should read some of these books and talks that you have read. It seems as though they offer great words of comfort that I did not think to search for. Thank you for all of your thoughts.
At most times it must be hard to comfort the heart; but you sure have nailed on the head soothing the soul. If only every Ladder Day Saint could have the insight, the faith and the ability to take on such challenges. Bless you for willingly taking on such a challenge, when others would not. What blessings must be saved for you, and only you on this earth and in the eternal worlds to come b/c of such faith and willingness. You truely are an amazing woman of God, who someday will recieve that exaltation that you so deserve with your sweet Daxton and the rest of the family! I love you. Thank you.
I remember when your dad said what he imagined the conversation in heaven would have been like about your current situation. It was very sweet and I was very touched. It is truly such a blessing to know that our Heavenly Father is in control and knows all from beginning to end. What an amazing testimony you have Brittany! Thank you!
I'm going to stop looking at your blog if you keep making me cry like this. No J/k it's a good cry and I am so very glad that you share your thoughts and feelings. Especially when I live so far away and can't be with you everyday. Love you tons!
I am just a stranger that stumbled across your blog. You have such amazing insight. This is just so hard. I lost my 14-month-old son in an accident 5 months ago. He reminds me a lot of your son--in fact I noticed they had some of the same clothes. I was in Mesa visiting a friend last month and she came home and told me about your family's accident. I don't think she knows you. My heart went out to you at the time. It still does.
Thanks for sharing these wonderful quotes. I hadn't read the McConkie quote before and it's wonderful.
I'm so sorry about your beautiful little boy. It does me good to read your thoughtful insights. I'm glad you're writing it down--that's one thing I regret from the first few weeks and months. In many ways, it is such a special time--where you have the Spirit as your constant companion.
Thanks for all that you've shared.
Love,
Gillian
love you Brit!
I am just a friend of a friend who sent me to your blog as I was asking her advice on my preparations for teaching the Relief Society lesson on "Words of hope and consolation at the time of death". Thank you for sharing your experience, testimony and insight. I am sitting here bawling and feeling the spirit. Reading your words is what I needed, thank you and my prayers are with you.
hi..you dont know me, although, i heard you went to mountain view also (I was class of 97)
I heard about your sad story and have been reading your blog. You seem so strong and I really loved this post. I KNOW you have hard times, and I can tell that..but you really seem to be understanding everything Heavenly Father wants you to understand at this time. Hang in there, you have been in my prayers.
I have to be honest--I don't even know how I got to your blog. I'm a stranger but I am humbled by your strength. I am so sorry about what you are going through. I just read some of your posts about your handsome little boy. You have such amazing insight and amazing strength. A couple weeks ago, a friend of mine sent me a link to her friend's blog. This woman just lost her little one year old in a tragic accident, also. Her insight is so much like yours and I thought it might help you to read and maybe correspond with her. She welcomes all readers to her blog. The blog address is: adailyscoop.blogspot.com.
I want you to know that your quotes lately have helped me in many ways. If it's okay I will be using a couple this coming Sunday since they go along with the lesson for RS, and using a little bit of your story. You are such an inspiration. Your family and extended family is such great examples to many. You are continually in my prayers and on temple prayer rolls. Keep smiling! Thanks for your quotes and inspiration again.
What a sweet post! I think you are a strong and amazing woman to be able to take on such a challenge. Your testimony is so inspiring. I feel strengthened by reading your posts. Thank you for being willing to share such personal thoughts and feelings with perfect strangers!
Thank you so much for posting those quotes, especially that last one from Elder McConkie. Ever since losing my precious son at 38 weeks, I have wondered what his "test" was. Elder McConkie's words have cleared that up for me. My prayers are still with you.
~Michelle
Post a Comment