Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Curve Ball

I am a planner. I plan. From the time I was very young, I knew I wanted to be a doctor or at least work in the medical field. I wanted to be the doctor because they are the "boss" or so I used to think..... It was all planned, I would graduate from high school, go to college, get a degree in Chemistry, and on to Medical School where I would study surgery or pediatrics.

I think I really began to think about a medical career when I was involved in a car accident at the age of 15, (my first curve ball). At that first moment in the hospital when I walked into the bathroom to look at myself, I can still remember the reflection staring back at me. I had 3 VERY distinct scars, covers with about 200 black stitches. I was lucky though.... a plastic surgeon was there to stitch me up and send me on my way.

I was having a particularly hard day, when a good friend of mine at the time and I were sitting outside my house. I was really feeling sorry for myself, because I was really "ugly." He turned to me and asked, "What is different about you? Are you changed on the inside? You are still the same person I knew a few days ago. You are beautiful just like you always were, and this will all fade." I pondered on those words and thought to myself, "Yeah, snap out of it." Of course I had hard days after that. I underwent extensive plastic surgery and was very lucky in the end. I had very supportive friends and family, who never once judged me for what was on the outside.

When I graduated from high school, I moved out, went to college, and set my heart on a Chemistry major (seriously, why would anyone do that to themselves). I was finishing up my Associates at Ricks (BYU-I) when I met Doug (we won't really count this as a "curve ball" per se, but not necessarily part of the "plan"). We fell in love, got married, and moved to Provo (BYU- yet again, not part of my plan). We thought we would wait to have kids, "Get some school and then get some kids."

Also, not part of the plan..... We found out we were pregnant 6 months after we were married and 9 months later Savannah Ranae Kunz was born. When she was born the doctors said, "She is small, she is not growing, and she is failure to thrive, and by the way, she has a syndrome called 'Russell Silver Syndrome' (another post will have to cover this one)." All in all, it was not what we expected in our "plan." (another curve ball) We grieved the perfect child, we grieved with each of the trials and setbacks as she was in the NICU for 3 weeks, we grieved when she didn't hit the milestones as she should have. However, each time we picked ourselves up, and looked ahead to the next challenge and milestone in her life. No use sitting around crying about it. We are doers, so we did. We attended conventions, saw therapists, slews of doctors, and learned all that we could about how we could make Savannah successful in her life.

Today, she is happy, mostly healthy, albeit another diagnosis and another curve ball, but we manage day to day. It is the best we can do. She is walking and talking, eating, and going to school. All things that were constantly on our minds. I know there are many other challenges yet to come with her, but each of those curve balls will hopefully come one at a time and we can decide how we are going hit each one.

Fast forward 6 years and 2 precious babies later. Mikenna Marissa and Daxton Douglas. We went on a trip to Havasupai with a group of friends and left our babies home. Monday morning as we were hiking out, we got the call, the call I hope that NO one ever has to receive. Daxton was taken from us. My worst fear had come to pass, the curve ball that makes or breaks a person.

How does one pick up the pieces and go on? How does one get up ready to bat for the next pitch after that curve ball? How can you run even if you hit that ball? The answers are yet to come. I hope someday I can look back on this particular "bad pitch" and think, "I sure hit that curve ball right on the money, right back at the pitcher, and then I made a home run."

Life throws us all sorts of "curve balls." No one ever said it was fair. We get all sorts of "bad pitches" too. How are we going to handle each of those challenges? How are we going to pick up the pieces? Are we going to turn and run? Or are we going to stand up to bat again? I hope and pray that each of us will be able to stand up to our challenges, to face them, and then plow right through them. No matter what they may be, big or small.

If they are too big, I challenge you to get on your knees and ask our Savior to help you, to give you the strength that you need in order to make it through just one more day. Each day brings new challenges, new emotions, new events, and sometimes most importantly a clean slate.

28 comments:

margaret said...

Ohmygoodness! You were away when you found out about your little baby boy! I can't even imagine....I can't imagine any of what you have gone through. I am so so so sorry! I just want to hug you and your family! I will be thinking and praying and crying for all of you!

Anonymous said...

Your strength leaves me speechless. I cannot even begin to imagine what you are going through. You are still in my prayers.

Rebecca said...

I am a mom of three little boys. As I read this, I feel gutted, in a very primal way. My heavy heart goes out to you. I will pray for you and your family. What you just shared on your blog is my worst nightmare. I can NOT imagine getting that call. Your strength and the beautiful way in which you are remembering your son, inspires me. I will check back often. Sending big giant hugs your way!!!

Vanessa said...

I just read your blog for the first time and I am amazed by your strength. I have also had a lot of "curve balls" thrown into my perfectly planned life and they really are hard to accept, I haven't lost a child though and I cannot comprehend how to deal with that one. Your strength and testimony has strenghtened mine.

Neener said...

Once again your strength is amazing. Those curve balls have made you the woman you are today. Way to stand up and face lifes challenges. Without the gospel, it would be so difficult. Thanks for your message today.
From a friendly blogger in Canada
Denine

Lisa Haws and family said...

Brittany,
What a profound way to describe how you are making it day to day through your trials. You amaze me. I appreciate that you are sharing your day to day thoughts as to how you are getting through this trial. It gives me hope and courage for things that go on in my life. Thanks for being so courageous. I sure love you. My prayers continue to be with you.
Lisa Haws

See it Try it Love it said...

Oh I feel so bad about all that has happended to you. YOu are so courageous and such an inspiration. As I read your blog, and Camille's Mom and others, I feel like I don't think I could ever be that strong. I feel like I would fail. I want to be more like you guys and gain a stronger testimony. I will work on it. I am praying so hard for you to feel some comfort and peace. Much love-Jenna Lines

Kambria Smith Robinson said...

Thanks, Britt.

love and prayers

Hubers said...

Jesus is a pretty good batter huh?
We're praying for you.

Nicole W. said...

You are one of the most amazing people i've ever had a peek into the life of.....
My biggest fear has been losing a child, if it ever happens, I will think of you and the strength you've shown...it gives hope that people can go on and the Love the Savior has. One of my mission companions lost her husband at age 27 and only 18mo's into their marriage. He left her and a 1yr old son behind. She said she has never felt the Savior so near as she did during that experience. It makes me so grateful for the Great incomprehensible love he has for us. We may not always understand it, but I know we can feel it, and it is stronger than any challenge that will try to break us. I've felt it and I know there is no greater power on this earth than the motivating force behind His love.
thank you for this post. I know you will bless many lives through your experience.
Nicole

Stephanie Waite said...

Britt,

I love this post. I will have to email you tonight. I am just laughing at how alike we are. I am so thankful for your friendship.

You are awesome.

Stephanie

Jessica said...

Hey Brittany and Doug. I was a year younger than Angelica in school. Danced together and hung out too. I have to admit I have been a blog stocker! I have wanted to leave a comment but my words just wouldn't type out.
What an AMAZING little family you are. I am soo inspired by your last posts and have pondered on those great scriputres and words from our apostles.
I have a strong STRONG testimony of Prayer, you are right the Savior will be there to help you out of bed the next morning.
I would love to read more about your little girls diagnosis.
I bet you will hit that home run!!!!

Allred Fam said...

hi- you don't know me- i've been reading yours and Stephanies blogs. My heart is heavy for the burden you have been asked to bear. I think about you and what you are going through and say a prayer that you will be comforted. I know that you are uplifted in times that you don't even realize. we are busy raising 3 little ones and our baby, Damon, was 1 on July 10. So each day I think about you and your little guy. My 4 year old daughter saw a picture on your blog and said "Look at that sweet little bobo!" But we lost our first 2 babies. The oldest would be 10 and our daughter would be 8. I can't imagine what you are going through even though I've had my own hits, as each persons story and pain is so different. I pray for your strength and comfort and also for that of the person who was staying with your kids while you were away. I know that the Lord has a plan for all things, and that he is blessing you through all of this. I believe all things happen in his plan, even you not being there and his being with a sitter. Please take care of yourself and know that you are admired and loved by many. I want to hug you and tell you that you join us in a sisterhood of woman, including such noble women as Emma Smith, who are asked to bear such a burden in this life.- Beth

Rhonda said...

You are so right. No guarantees about those curve balls. You can be the best batter up and have the pitched ball hit you hard... (as my son found out this past week in a tournament game) However, there really is just the aching painful reality that we know it will be worth it!

I come back time and time to read your blog. My husband has family all over Switzerland with the last name Kunz. I think I keep coming back especially to read about little Savanah. Beautiful girl.

So sorry about Daxton and your horrible loss. He is so incredibly cute. Hopefully this mortal life is bearable to you, just knowing he is there waiting for his mommy and daddy.

Love Haze said...

Brittany,

You really have a way of putting things in perspective. . .

My biggest fear is anything happening to one of my 3 kiddos. I know the entire time I am away from my kids I worry and pray for them to be safe.. .

When my son was born he had a liver condition and for the first couple years of his life we weren't sure that we would be able to keep him. I felt the saviors presence more strongly at that time then any other. It is the only way I was able to make it from day to day(and through all the procedures and doctors visits). The Lords presence, His spirit, and His strength gave me strength to face the challenges, and I see His strength in you.

Thank you for sharing your strength and spirit with us. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Rhonda said...

...and waiting for his sisters. I did not mean to leave them out of the circle of love.

Natalie and Logan said...

Thanks for your comments. That was really uplifting and comforting. You're the best.

Jessica said...

You amaze me. I'm so grateful to have you as a friend!

Dyer Family said...

You dont know me, but I found your blog from Christy and John via Mandy and Cameron. Anyway, I just wanted to first say Im so sorry for your loss and secondly, thank you for the words you have written. Your testimony has strengthened mine and I admire you and your families strength. You are making a difference in every persons life who reads your blog! Thank you so much.

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

wow, that was an amazing post. Thanks for sharing it. You have gone through a ton in your life but so far really seem to have come out on top. I guess your reward in Heaven is going to be a HUGE one...just keep thinking about that :)

TexasTwinsTwice said...

In addition to previous challenges, you have lived through every parent's worst nightmare--and yet you are strong enough to give encouragement and help to others. I am in awe. I do know we are given only the challenges we can handle, so as I've said before, that says a lot about you! I really appreciate your posts and insight. You are very inspiring.

Joni said...

You don't know me but we lost our 16 month old grandson in a drowning accident in our backyard swimming pool on May 30, 2008. My daughter and her husband had just moved from Utah to Oklahoma and were living with us at the time of the accident. I was made aware of Stephanie's accidental drowning of her daughter through a friend of hers who is in our ward and as I was reading her blog today I saw the link to your blog. It is interesting that these three little toddlers were all taken within a two week period. My daughter has a blog that she has expressed her feelings about her loss. I have never felt such agonizing pain in all my life and on the other hand I have never felt such love, peace, and comfort that comes from our Heavenly Father. Through this tragedy we have experienced some tender mercies. I really need to write my feelings on my blog but I haven't been able to do that yet. My daughter just left yesterday to go to Tucson to help her sister who just gave birth to her first baby. I admire her courage and strength! I am so sorry for your loss of your sweet little baby boy. He is absolutely adorable. I am so grateful for the gospel and for the knowledge that we have to help us through times like this.

Heather said...

Britt-

This is a beautiful post... and you are a beautiful person--inside and out! I feel so blessed to be your friend and to have this little window into your experiences. I've never met anyone more skilled at hitting those curve balls. The Lord trusts you so much. Don't forget you have friends to lean on--it's okay to need to lean sometimes. I love you!

Annie and the Boys... said...

well put my sweet friend! see you next week, So many loves!

Shana said...

I do not know you, but I want you to know that I found your blog through a friends and this brought so many tears to my eyes! I have a son who is 4, his name is also Daxton. I could not ever imagine going through what you have. This post is amazing! Isn't it so true! When life throws me those curve balls I always think, 'How am I ever going to get through this one??' But there is a way! And our Savior & Heavenly Father has provided a way... It is a short road compared to the eternal aspect of it all. Sometimes it is scary, sometimes joyous, sometimes sad, etc... But we get through it and it only makes us stronger! Don't you hate hearing that?? I know I do when I go through a hard time. But it is sooo true. I am grateful you have the gospel and you KNOW it! I will pray for you and your family. I am so sorry. There is nothing more I can say but say I am sorry from the bottom of my heart. If you want to look at my blog, you can e-mail me. It is set to private only... it's shanapyne4@yahoo.com
I don't mind if you don't want to. It won't hurt my feelings. I just hope you can feel the love from all around you!!

Brimaca said...

I found your blog on Stephanie's and I am a blog stalker of both of you. Thanks for your words and lessons you are teaching all of us through your loss.

The Beus Family said...

I know we haven't talked in forever. I feel like I don't even know you anymore. I'm sure we are both so different from who we were 10 years ago. I know we didn't always see eye to eye. I'm glad to say you are a person I am proud to have known and now have you in my life through your blog. Our boys are the same age and it just bring me to tears everytime I read your blog It just melts my Heart. You have helped me now be a better mother and person. If for this one reason we met ten years ago. Have you read "may we so live" in the Aug ensign I thought of you the whole time. It is true things never go as planned You are in our prayers. Love Rozzie Phelan Beus

Olsen Family said...

I LOVE YOU BRITTANY! Thank you for being such a strong friend to me. You've helped other people believe in themselves and you will be blessed for that. I can't put into words how wonderful I know you are. I know that you a choice daughter of God and He has given you these "curve balls" because you are His Star Player! There are so many more feelings and words which I cannot express to you. I just love you so much and am very proud of you for your strength and your love for others.
Love, Rachel Olsen