Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Friday, July 25, 2008

What to do?

I was inspired by a similar post of a friend who lost her baby a week after Daxton to write about how to help a friend or loved one who have suffered a loss. I have often thought of this. I still don't really know what helps. I know all the things that don't. There is nothing right to say, everything is wrong, at least that was how I felt. I have been on the other side, I have done and said all the wrong things. Having been on this side has given me more of an outlook and insight to true grieving. Hopefully I can gather my thoughts enough to put them on to "paper."

I recently came across a book called "Tear Soup" by Pat Schwiebert and Chuck Dekylen. This is the main source of my thoughts tonight.

Things to do to "help"

Be there for your friend or family member, even when you don't understand: I would never expect you to understand. I would hope and pray that you never knew the loss that we have felt so dear. Just being there is all. I had a friend come over, giving up her job, and her birthday, dropping everything (like so many of you did) and she said what can I do. She brought paint brushes to paint, she brought mounds of stuff to decorate Daxton's room, and she stayed, even on her birthday. So many of you gave up what you were doing, gave up your kids, and your time to be with me at the moments when I needed you most. Family traveled thousands of miles and friends too. With each person that walked into the viewing or funeral, I would nudge Doug and say, "Look babe, look at who is here." The love and support was more than I could ever have imagined.

Another of my friends would just listen, we laid on Daxton's bed and just cried together, another gave me a months worth of hugs each time she came over, every day, just for a hug. Another texts me daily just to check in, and that is just the surface. I would take up the entire world wide web if I continued to list them.

Be a source of comfort by listening, laughing, and crying: It is nice to laugh. I don't always want to cry, I don't always want to talk. It is nice to just have someone there for what I need. Send cards. The message doesn't need to be long. Just let them know you haven't forgotten them. Send one every few weeks for awhile. It helps to know that someone still cares.

Call your friend. Don't worry about being a bother. If they don't want to talk they won't answer the phone. Leave a message. Let your friend know you care. Answering machines and email are a great way to keep in touch. Avoid offering easy answers. Be patient, don't try to rush your friend through their loss.

Don't make the loss the elephant in the room, acknowledge it. I was so grateful when we went out to dinner with a couple we hadn't seen for 6 years and they brought up Daxton. It was a small act of kindness on their part to acknowlede the loss. Give your friend permission to grieve in front of you. Don't change the subject and don't be uncomfortable when they do cry. Go ahead and ask them questions about their loss, if they seem like talking about it.

Invite your friend to activities you are participating in. Let them decide if they want to go or not. They will tell you, or sometimes in my case avoid you :), but let it be their decision.

Last of all, don't assume that because your friend is having a "good" day that they actually are. They think about the loss all day and all night, it never leaves their mind. It takes all they can do mentally and physically to hold themselves together to have a "good" day. They aren't over their loss. It will remain with them for the rest of their lives.

I appreciate all the cards, hugs, time, traveling, hard work, phone calls, emails, texts, packages.... EVERYTHING!! Not one thing, big or small, has gone unnoticed. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

loves

8 comments:

Hubers said...

Brittany, You are so smart! This post is so helpful to so many people. I lost my dad last year. He was really young and it was very fast. I grew away from some people that didn't know how to react. They never talked to me normally or felt awkward because they were unsure to react. The fact that I was hurting and they didn't acknowledge it made me not want to be around them. I too didn't expect people to understand, but I expected them to be there. Even still, a year later, I don't know exactly what to do for a friend who has experienced death. It was so different for me from moment to moment. I know people are wondering though. People want to be helpful. You are so good to think about others!
Brittany, I wish I was there to just give you a hug. Please know that I think of you often.
Love-
Summer

Jessica Steed said...

Brittany,
Thank you for this wonderful post. It reminds me of an email exchange we had a while ago ;)
I have some good news . . .
Mark just got Rock Band for our Wii, so you can come over and play the guitar (I'm hoping to get good at the drums, we'll see)
Love your guts.

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

I still think about your family every day. Hugs.

Dave& Jaime Adams said...

Brittany, I know that you don't know me. I am a friend of Brianna Allens and I saw on her blog about Daxton and since then have checked yours out every so often. Just recently our neighbors lost their granddaughter and have really struggled with it. Especially their daughter who is not real active in the church. I have not really known how to be as a friend, what I should and shouldn't do. Your blog is awesome. Its helped me to know how to be there for them in there loss. Thank you so much you are such an amazing person in my eyes.

Angenette said...

Well said, Brittany. I wish we lived closer so I could hug you everyday. Please know you're always in our thoughts and prayers.

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing and being patient.

The Blaisdell Family said...

I should be sleeping right now but I can't. I don't feel well and there's a lot on my mind.

I remember hearing about your sweet little baby last year and often think about you guys and wonder how you press forward each day.

My friend lost her little boy last September and just lost her husband last week on June 2nd. The trials some people need to face are trials I hope I never have to endure. My heart is so sad that it aches when I hear stories like this. I have been going crazy trying to figure out what to do to help my friend...what to say, should I call, am I over doing my concern, etc.

How I came across this post from a year ago is amazing and just what I needed to hear right now. Thank you so much for writing this. Your strength is amazing, I know you have hard days but you still have the strength to express those feelings.

Thank you for your help tonight and may Heavenly Father continue to look over your family!

~Sherie~ said...

I know this was posted over a year ago, but I just stumbled upon your blog and have been reading it all night. I don't know what I would do if I lost my little boy, I truly don't believe I could survive it. I almost didn't survive losing my mother unexpectedly, and then a year later my little brother, also unexpected. How can a healthy athlete develope a headache and be dead from an aneurysm in just a few hours? Life is unfair, it doesn't make sense, and just surviving it is the hardest thing we'll ever do.

Thanks for sharing your life and thoughts on this blog. I've never had anyone to be a friend to me through my loss, so I turned to blogs and message boards to find my "friends". Your blog has helped. God bless, I'll be praying for you.