Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Friday, August 14, 2009

Savannah and PWS: the horrible, honest to goodness truth

Some of you have asked about Savannah.... well here ya go :)

Savannah was born on November 1. I was 21 years old. VERY young by most standards. Ok all standards, but that is old compared to the babies I take care of. She was initially diagnosed with Russell Silver Syndrome. There are many traits and characteristics and I will only list those of Savannah. She was tiny. They call it IUGR (intrauterine growth retardation). They told me it was nothing that I did. That was comforting. She has her left side shorter (and smaller) than the right. You can see the physical mostly. She has a shoe lift about 9cm and brace on her left ankle to keep her from falling and breaking it. She has low muscle tone and tires easily (you would NEVER know this if you have seen her in 'action.'

She learned to roll over at 9 months, sit up at 12 months, stand at 2 years, and walk with a walker at 3. She shed the walker at 4.5 years old and has been moving EVER since. She had her first surgery when she was 6 months old. And has since had 3 others.

When she was about 4 years old, she was diagnosed with Prader Willi Syndrome. It is the UNCONTROLLABLE UNSATIABLE desire to eat. There are other characteristics, but this is the main one. Not only are they ALWAYS hungry, but they burn less calories because of their low muscle tone. So NOT only is she on a limited diet, but she gets 70% the calories that other children her age get. Sounds fair right? One might think that it would behoove someone like Savannah to hit the nearest buffet and load up. Truth is, PWS children and adults have been known to eat themselves to death. Literally. Their hearts, guts, and overall body just can't take it.

Typically it is late diagnosed and by that time the kids are too old and too overweight. Not that it can't be fixed but it is VERY hard. Trust me I did it and it was torture for us all and she was only 4.

What does this mean for us? We lock our pantries, my mom, my aunt, me. There were times when we would wake up in the middle of the night and find her scooping ice cream, cool whip, popsicles, anything she could find. She didn't even realize what she was doing until we found her, but she was shoveling food in like she would never see another bite. This sets us back LOADS of calories when she does this because I have to make up for it by decreasing her already LOW calorie diet.

I have gates up in my hallway to my bedroom and from their bedroom, that way they can only come into my bedroom. I had to do this because I would find her doing random impulsive things (very common. the impulsions for PWS) like emptying ALL my lotion (really it was like 10) onto the bathroom floor. Opening all the toilet paper (from costco) and then unraveling it all over the floor, painting my bathroom walls with nail polish, and oh did I mention buzzing her hair? And she was 6.5 years old when she did all this.

This is all to be blamed on the PWS. Really. She isn't being 'naughty' per se, it is more the uncontrollable impulsiveness and not enough will to stop. When she is caught, she feels terrible, but sometimes she just can't stop. This is the maddening part. I can't get TOO mad at her, you know like slap her silly or yell because ten minutes from now, she isn't going to remember what you are mad about.

Back to the food. There can't be one morsel ANYWHERE, gum, candy, crumbs, food. ANYWHERE. She will sniff it out, find it, and eat it. No exceptions. I don't know how she does it. So all food is in pantry and fridge under lock and key. NO EXCEPTIONS. After each meal, the food is cleaned up, dishes done (because she will see if there is anything in the sink) within minutes of finishing. There is no food in any bedrooms of any house she visits regularly. We have certain snack times and meal times and if there is any wavering, the day is shot to you know where.

Thing is, Savannah is NEVER full. Despite the large plates of fruits, veggies, low carb items that I feed her. NO amount of food is enough. She is NEVER full. Someday this will be a big problem for me. Some PWS kids are not uncommonly found sneaking out the window to run to the local grocer and get some food. It is not uncommon they will do favors for people in exchange for food. I have to know where Savannah is at ALL times. Not a minute goes by I don't know exactly where she is and exactly what she is doing. Did I mention that NO amount of food will fill her up? NO AMOUNT. She goes to school 'hungry,' she goes to bed 'hungry,' she leaves the table 'hungry.' ALWAYS. She always will. It is the fact of her life.

It is the most horrible, awful way to live life. I have been hungry and it sucks. To feel that way all the time because me brain is broken in that area? I just don't know if I could bare it. One might ask is the appetite suppressants work or if there is some special "yoga" to do to decrease hunger. NOPE. NOTHING. The part in the brain that says you are full is broke. BROKEN. Someday (hopefully never) she will have to be put in a home where PWS adults live. Where they lock all food away. Where they have to lock all the doors and windows. Just to keep them safe. I hope it doesn't come to this. But one day it might.

16 comments:

The Holland Family said...

What a hard thing for you as a parent and her as a "Hungary" child. Fasting about kills me! Don't you wonder where these diseases come from? When Mia was born with SMA I had never heard of such a thing. Crazy how we are "blessed" with such things in our lives. You truly ARE amazing Brittnay! Love, Nicole - Mia's mom ^i^

jen said...

Very interesting and timely that you would post this today. I dropped Ben off at a friend's house, and as I was meeting the mom for the first time, she mentioned that her youngest has special needs. I politely inquired, and she said that he has "Prader Willi, you've never heard of it." And I said I had, mentioned Savannah, etc. Her son is three, and she said that the PWS chapter for AZ is inactive, etc. Anyway, long story long, she asked for your number, and I told her I'd have you call her. So call me, and I'll give you her number. Nothing in the world is coincidental, surely.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, reading your post brought tears to my eyes. You are a wonderful mom..I admire you for all your trials you have been faced with!! I could not imagine being in your shoes, you are truley AMAZING!! God bless you and your family <3

Amanda said...

Wow, thank you so much for educating us on her condition. Very enlightening. What did you do when she was a baby and hungry all the time. Babies cry when hungry.. did she cry all the time?

You are an amazing mother. I have been following you this past year and enjoy your writings and open thoughts.

Heather said...

Wow. I really can't think of anything else to say. I've heard of PWS but never knew how involved it really is. Thank you for sharing. It really is great to know about things like this and the sweet little Savannah's around us.

Jennifer said...

Hi,
I am your mom's 1st cousin Jennifer. Your grandma and my dad are brother and sister.

My little sister Leah and I have followed you for awhile and admire you and how you have moved forward through it all! When my little sister and I need a pick me up about are own lives, all we have to do is get on your blog and be inspired. You are an inspiration in moving forward in faith during trials and being a mother, etc. My sister and I had a few tears at the Dunford reunion with your mom about how amazing you are! You also have an amazing mom! Thanks so much for keeping us inspried.

P.S. I am think my 15 year old son who is figuring out what he want to do for his Eagle Scout Project like the idea of Daxton Boxes for where we live! Again amazing and inspired you are! Much Love, Jennifer Dunford Edwards

Franklin Family said...

Thank you for letting us into your thoughts, and your world. What I think is interesting is that you always knew you would have a special needs child - so you were prepared for something. To me, though, it doesn't sound like anything could prepare you for that! You have a special girl, and you recognize all the wonderful things about her - and that's more than most parents focus on.

Kristina said...

I think those of us who know Savannah thank Heavenly Father for her sweet happy nature and the amazing light that is around her. Even when she is at the end of her rope she's the greatest of kids. I have thought so much about how it must feel to be hungry all the time and never get that great satisfied feeling. She deals with that so well - even after 3 long hours of church. You are doing such a wonderful job as her mother. That Savannah, she's the greatest. Tell her I will miss her at church tomorrow.

Angie said...

Thank you! I have often wondered about your Savannah so thanks for sharing! I had never heard of PWS and I think the more educated we are the better people we can become! I cannot imagine having to tell your child no when you know she's hungry--but I know that you must. You are inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

How I love our Savannah. I am still cracking up from Wednesday night, when I asked her how her first day back to school was.

Her response: "I am so done with this day".

Michelle Arnett said...

Wow. Words don't express how difficult this really must be. Honestly. How hard. How unfair. How unfair for all the trials you have been dished. Don't you wonder sometimes why in the world you(we) get so many trials stacked on top of each other? It seems to me that one of your trials would be enough in and of itself. I admire your strength, honesty and ability to hold it together. You are inspiring.

Kambria Smith Robinson said...

Yup. Super mom.

Thanks for letting us come play. It's been too long since the girls and I just sat in their room and played. I love seeing Savannah laugh so much and Mik is just adorable all the time. I'm glad she loves thomas so much, cuz we feel pretty darn blessed to even know her. Love you and hope to see you all soon!

Bridget said...

Wow. I think I saw a documentary about a British kid with this disorder. He was huge and ate his mom out of house and home. I'm glad that your children have you to help them. You seem to have a hidden strength to handle all that has been given to you. And I only say hidden because I'm sure you don't see it sometimes. But it's there. You can do anything.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

I have to say...I am absolutely amazed. I have never heard of this. You are living in a different world from most people. Not only from the loss of your darling darling daxton, but your sweet daughter savannah. how has your "grief" or adjustment to savannah's condition differed from the grief of losing daxton? (sounds silly...i know, but i'd love to hear). you are super mom. i cannot believe the amount of supervision and work that goes into that little spit fire. no wonder you have an incredible sense of humor...you'd have to. GOD BLESS BRITTNEY KUNZ.

Margaret said...

Love you more than you know. (ok. you know.)

Anonymous said...

I just saw a story on PWS on Good Morning America. You can catch the story online at yahoo's home page also. I can't imagine how awful it is to be hungry all the time. Please let us know if there is a place to donate money to research this more. I would love to help. God bless your family and thank you for sharing this info with us.