Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Life: what a ride

I can't believe I have a kindergartener!!!! That makes me OLD. But what really makes me old is that I have a second grader. The first day of school went well. The kids met their teachers the other night and LOVED them. I was nervous for Mikenna, new school, new class, new friends, new bus. But Savannah took care of her. She sat with her on the bus. She said "hi" to her at lunch. She gave her a hug at recess. She was the big sister today. It. was. awesome. She doesn't always get that role.

Babies grow up way to fast. I hold Isabella and kiss her and cherish her. I spoil her rotten. I carry her almost anywhere. She is almost attached to my hip. When I drop her off at the gym, I have a hard time leaving her there for an hour. Seriously. I know.

I don't take my precious little gems of girls for granted either. I am grateful for every successful swimming adventure. I am grateful for every morning we all wake up. I am grateful that I have hair to do and clothes to buy (and wash) for my little ones. I am grateful for their health (mostly). I am grateful for each time I leave them and come home to their smiling faces. I am grateful every time I see Isabella's smile, or laugh, or cry. Nothing is missed (ok. maybe.)

I am grateful for their kisses at night. I am grateful that I can hear them play or fight or ignore each other. I am grateful that when they get off the bus they have been safe. I am grateful for every car ride that goes without incident. I am grateful that when I get home from work, I can see Isabella's pinchable bum and kissable cheeks awaiting my arrival.

I just can't believe they are getting so big. And that I have had them all this long. Sometimes I have to look around and realize that there are families who have all of their children. Most of the time this is a conscious effort. Just like when Mikenna was born, I thought to myself, babies suck? on a boob? on a bottle? They actually eat? They don't eat from a tube? They don't blow up like balloons because the doctors tell their mothers to keep feeding them? It was and continues to be a whole new experience. Life.

It is always a new adventure. Every day. And for that, I am grateful.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! 2 in school now! What fun, huh? Glad that Mikenna had a good day and that Savannah loved the role of big sister!!!
Matthew has been picking the "Miss Pat" books at night lately - so fun to see he and Savannah so very tiny! :)

Bartel's said...

You are such a wonderful mother & an inspiration. I love reading your blog posts. Thanks for sharing your life.....and YES, they do grow up WAY too fast!