I can't promise you this post will be uplifting. I can't promise you this post won't make you cry. I can't promise you this post will be "good" but I can promise it will be real.
I worked last night and so today has been a bit of a blur... which I suppose is a good thing because I was really dreading this day. Not as much as I am Daxton't birthday, but close. I came home from work and took a sorry excuse of a nap and then zombied my way through church and the rest of the day.
Don't get me wrong I think Mother's Day is a great day to honor mothers. I should turn this post around and make it uplifting and enlightening, but I actually don't feel that way. I feel cheated. I feel sad. Tonight Mikenna and I were looking at pictures that Doug put on my mom's digital picture frame. It was just a short year ago almost that my sweet Daxton was still alive. As I held Isabella in my arms, I watched Daxton grow up before my eyes through the photos. And then I watched him slip away. It made me feel sad, bitter, and cheated.
I have 4 children. It is getting "easier" to tell my "story" and I hate it. I sum up Daxton's life in a sentence. People ask how many kids I have. I tell them 3 girls and a boy, but my son died almost a year ago. That is it. That is his story. How can I cheat his most perfect life in such a way? I guess I could just skip that part. But I can't. I do have 4 children. I do have a son, whom I love very much.
I took care of a little boy last night. Ok I take care of a lot of little boys, but this one in particular really struck me. He was suffering a little because of his respiratory distress. I just wanted to hold him and love him and tell him everything would be ok. But I couldn't. I don't know if everything will be ok. Likely it will, but maybe it won't.
There was a little baby that died in the PICU the other night and my heart broke for the family. I don't know them. I may never know them, but I know some of their pain. The baby was one year old. I don't know the whole story and if I did, I likely wouldn't be able to tell you, but the story is the baby passed away. There was a mother in the depths of sorrow. I wanted to run to her and hug her, but how do you justify that? You don't. I am a nurse and while at work, I have to be a nurse.
Mikenna wanted me to tell her a story. So I told her about Daxton. I told her that one day a little boy was born. He was born into a family with two big sisters who loved him and cared for him and nurtured him (ok lets be honest, they tortured him too). She giggled. I told her that this little boy loved to play in the water. He loved to be held. He loved to laugh. He loved to crawl into the refrigerator. He loved to climb into the pantry and dump out all the plastic silverware (I remember that day like it was yesterday... I thought to myself, I should get after him and then I thought 'no' I will miss this one day. Yes. Yes. I do) She giggled some more. I told her that this little boy loved to take a bath. He had just barely had his first big boy bath before he died. Just his first. There are so many firsts that I am missing right now. I know I will get the chance to see all his first, just not right now and that is what hurts the most.
Tonight at the dinner table we were discussing what the twins should start to eat. My sweet aunt asked what Daxton ate or if he did.... it went unspoken in my mind 'he didn't get to live long enough to eat much other than breast milk and some nasty rice cereal.'
If today is any indication of what is to come in less than 3 weeks with his birthday and the "anniversary" then I just want to crawl into a hole and re-emerge in about 2 months. But alas, that isn't so. I will pull up my boot straps and face it head on. I have suffered deeper than I thought possible and I have come up for air. I can do this. I can do this. But I will need some help. Lots of help. Lots and lots of help.
Overall, today really wasn't that bad. I got some really really cute pictures made by my husband and girls and Mikenna made the cutest "recipe" book on the planet. One of these days I will share. I got a cute little handprint from Savannah and lots of loves from Isabella. We ate dinner at my moms and the chocolate cake was divine!
I am grateful for my mother. For all that she does for me. For her example and her patience with me.
Tonight this is for all the mothers who are grieving or suffering or wondering if they are rearing their children right. You can do it. You can do anything. You are daughters of God who are sent here to be an example, to teach your children to love and serve one another and the Lord. It is a huge responsibility and who better to do it than us. We can't do it alone. We need help and lots of it. But it can be done. And please, just kiss your babies for me. :)
Happy Mother's Day
12 comments:
I will be thinking of you today and until your sweet little guys birthday. Keep your chin up.
Kendalee
(Loughlin and Rhiannon's Mom)
Oh Britt, I know. I'm so sorry. I wish I could crawl into the hole with you. I missed Jack so much yesterday. I'm sure Daxton was close yesterday. I admire your strength...even though I'm sure you don't feel that you have any right now. You are one of my heros and I love you so much. I am so grateful that we have had the chance to get to know each other despite the reasons to our meeting one another. You are amazing Britt. I love you!
I was sitting here watching the video picture frame and wow, talk about emotions...... I miss our little guy. I can only imagine how much your arms ached, cause mine did. Boy, these next couple of weeks are going to be hard. I pray we will be able to get through them, together we can. I love you Brit. You are amazing.
I don't think Daxton is the only angel in your family Brittany. Seems to me he had a great example. ;) Thank you for all that you write.
What a beautiful post! I have been meaning to call you back, and when it comes down to it, I'm just a wimp and don't know what to say. My heart just aches for you, and I am so touched you and your mom reached out to me and my family in our greatest time of need. I know that your heart is still broken, so thank you for help lifting me up when I know you're the one that needs it as well! :) Strange how sometimes days you can be doing and can be at peace then there are some days that are just plain dark. That's the best way I can explain it. I know your precious son was with you on Sunday, so proud of his mom! Thank you for being brave enough to share your feelings, I'm so not and wish I was! I think of you all the time!
Brittany, I should just add you to my blog list because I check your blog all the time, but would that be weird, would you feel weird. I know stupid question. I just really do look up to you and the strength you have - even though I am sure you don't feel like that. I love reading your words they help me see the "light" when I miss my little angel. Completely different circumstances but.....
I was just wondering too - if I could copy/use your last paragraph?
Jessica, you can add me to your side bar and put whatever you want on your blog. Feel free.
Love you lady! I keep thinking of you and praying for you.
Amen! I loved this post, because it is SO REAL, raw and honest. I too feel cheated. I think time has healed some pain, but I really struggle with feeling cheated and robbed. People always say "you 'll get to see him/her again." But that doesn't make the pain stop now. Because RIGHT NOW is when I want to hold my baby. Right NOW is when I want that promise. Right now is all I can't wait for. I am grateful for the promise that is giving to us. I just wish that we could somehow see a glimpse of that promise to reassure us. I guess that's where our faith comes in. WE have to have faith that it will all work out. We have to trust in the Lord. In the mean time make sure that we hold our end to the bargain. May 30Th I will celebrate my "twins" birthdays. One daughter will get a cake and presents, the other will get millions of balloons with love notes that will fly express to Heaven. Good luck with Daxton's birthday. Let people lift your burden, don't carry it alone.
I hope you don't mind that I left you a (LONG) comment. I check your blog often and look up to your for your strength. P.s. I'm one of Annie's friends if your wondering..:)
THANK YOU!!!
Way to go to get the tears flowing! Mothers day is so so hard. I pretend as if it's not a holiday at all. I find I am so focused on myself being a bereaved mother, it's hard to even give thanks to my own mother. You can do this. We can do this. We will do this. But sometimes, we do just have to crawl into a hole. Sometimes, it's okay to find that dark secret hiding place. . . . pull up your boot straps if that's what you want, but no one is expecting you to be any stronger than you feel like being. Much much love.
I am still at the point where I don't know whether to say I have 1 child or 2. But whenever I say I have just 1, I feel my heart break because it isn't true. I have to figure this out, I am not sure what to say yet.
Post a Comment