Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Monday, February 16, 2009

Bittersweet

Today I learned of the 3rd baby who was taken back to Father in Heaven in 3 weeks. Maybe it is because I am 'driving' the same car as them. I don't know. This post is for them.

The road is long. I do not in any way shape of form wish I could go back to those grueling, emotionally, physically draining first few hours, days, weeks, months. It is painful. There are sleepless nights. There are countless buckets of tears. These poor mothers and fathers and siblings who are just starting out on the road of grief. I hope they are strong enough. I hope they can make it. I hope that they can hold on to the thread of faith and that their faith will grow and they will not fall away. I hope that they will hold on for dear life to the teachings they have been taught all their lives. I pray for them. I cry with them.

Today I also learned that one of the 'Daxton boxes' was used. A blanket was given. A stuffed animal was given. A camera was used. A difference albeit ever so miniscule was made in the life of a grieving mother. The blanket was to wrap her precious baby in because in all the hurry to get her sweet child to the hospital she didn't grab his favorite blankie (or maybe she did, but she didn't want to leave it, she wanted to take it home and snuggle it, smell it, pray it wasn't so). The stuffed animal was given so that when she left her baby in the arms of the nurse, hers wouldn't be 'empty.' The camera was used because maybe, just maybe one day she will be ready to face the reality of what is happening and be able to remember those last precious moments she held her son.

7 comments:

Lauralie said...

I read this entry and I thought about daxton, the plan and then I cried. Thanks Britt, I love you

jen said...

What third baby in three weeks? I guess I've been living in a shell.
When I lost our daughter, I made ten of the kits that they give stillborn moms. Only someone who has actually used one knows what those few mementos mean to the parents. I wish often that I could personally thank those women. Consider this a thank you from her. You'll probably never know. But know that her gratitude is unending.

Caryn said...

Brit I am so glad the Boxes are out and so sad that they are getting used. I am so sad for their family, but you have done an amazing thing in comforting them. Are you getting the boxes to more than just Gateway? I am sure other hospitals need them too!

You are amazing.

Hubers said...

There's no better word than 'bittersweet.'

I cried for them too.

Steph (and Bryant) said...

I am assuming that this post is for my brother and his sweet wife. I will email them this link. Your mom came over to my parents yesterday and was so sweet. THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts. This is so painful, and I have been wanting to tell my sister-in-law about your blog ever since Sunday morning...I will give her your blog address and hopefully the two of you can get together. It's always comforting to talk to someone who truly knows. Also, I saw the camera, stuffed animal and blanket at the hospital...thank you.
Thanks again,
Stephanie Holmes
azholmesadventures.blogspot.com

Brooke said...

I bet you will never truly know the impact you are having on so many people. You are such a beacon and strength and I am sure that those families who are using the Daxton boxes and those who receive counsel and comfort from you are forever grateful to you for your charity and your faith. I know I continue to be amazed by you. Thank you for being the person you are.

JLynn said...

You have such a sweet sweet family and what a wonderful woman you are. I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Daxton. He is so handsome. I love the Daxton Box idea you have created. Your family is touching so many lives in so many ways. You are amazing. I would love to donate some flannel fabric. Sorry I tried to email through your profile. I'm not that good with computers and I don't have a mac email account through my mac,,,,. I hope it's okay if I just leave my email and blog address. Your strength and perseverance is inspiring. I hope the Lord will continue to keep you strong and bless you with His tender mercies. Congratulations on your new little one. She is a beauty. :)

jenandcurt dot blogspot dot com
nobull underscore curtjen at comcast dot net

Thank you!