I had forgotten how productive I used to be in the mornings.....
It has been a long time since I have seen the early hours of the morning. I woke up at 615am and went running at 630am for 4 miles. It was exhilarating. I remember the days when I used to think that I would NOT get up early in the am for less than 6 miles. OH boy those were the days. That are OVER. If I get up at all, I consider myself exceeding all expectations :).
Well anyhow, I went running. It felt good.
Then I got home. I did 2 loads of laundry, emptied the dishwasher, loaded the dishwasher, picked up the girls toys, fed the kids breakfast..... all BEFORE 830.
After all that, I had a nap.
Doug asked the girls the other day what was their funnest memory of when Granny and Grandpa were here. After we went to Jeepers, Bounce U, Ice skating, had an Easter egg hunt, and a trip to Target where the girls got matching outfits....
Savannah said, "When Brody chased me and when Brody by me (by me= lay by her at bedtime)"
Mikenna said, "When we went for a walk."
Ah, the simple things. I wonder at what age we get so spoiled that we forget about the simple things in our life. When do we stop appreciating the things in life that are truly important. Really, it doesn't matter what brand of clothes we wear, how big our house is, what kind of car we drive, or what big activities we plan. It is the simple things. Like spending time with family. Like reading story to the kids. Like making "projects" as the girls call any activity requiring glue, paper, and scissors, or taking a few minutes to lay by the girls.
This morning, Mikenna was begging me to go for a bike ride. Lately, this is her new thing. She LOVES to go on bike rides and BEGS any chance she gets. SO the long awaited bike ride came this afternoon. I needed to pick up the house, make dinner, feed Isabella, and get ready for work.... I had a million things to do. I thought to myself.... hmm what is she going to remember, that we had chicken alfredo and the house was clean? OR will she remember that I took her on a bike ride? And if she does remember one over the other, which one will she care more about? So on the bike ride we went, messy house, leftovers, and a bottle for Isabella (and I forgot my planner, checkbook, and cell phone at home). BUT WE GOT THE BIKE RIDE.
7 comments:
Big things rarely resonate with kids. I think it's because big things are only big to big people.
I Loved this post! How true it is that we forget to enjoy the little things in life. I have become better at recognizing those small moments in the last 3 years. Don't be hard on yourself for not getting up in the AM. The energy will return with time, a lot of it. I am at 3 years and sometimes I have the energy/desire to take the world on head first and some days I don't and I linger in bed until 9. Grief is hard, exhausting work. Stay in bed and rest a while:)!
I'm proud of you for getting up!! I still got up at 8 this morning and still haven't showered and its 10:30 but I'm thinking about exercising!! so I feel a little better!
We didn't have a lot of money growing up, at all. So we did a lot of things that were close to home and didn't cost much. But the time I was able to spend with my sibblings and parents is priceless. I have wonderful memories from my childhood and I didn't know that we were poor until much later in life. Great parents have wonderful impacts on their children's lives and memories. ;)
Thanks for inspiring me to do more with my kids! Now I wish I would have gone outside today and played with Owen in the big puddle of water in front of our house. He loved it! I said "oh great now you are all wet" and he said "I don't care it was like the funnest thing ever"!
You are such a cute and amazing mom! I love that you put everything on hold just to take your darling little girl on a bike ride. I'm super jealous of your ability to run! :) My ever growing belly just keeps getting bigger and bigger! Love to you! So wish that we lived closer.
so, u trying to one up me on the whole running thing huh? good, you can have it, running just isn't enjoyable unless you there cherring me on! i miss you friend!
Post a Comment