So many thoughts run through my head as I think about today. There are many emotions swimming around in here.... I think of moms who have recently lost their children. They are just starting on this horrible journey. I hear their stories and I cry for them. I feel for them. I hope that they are comforted. I hope that they can find peace. Losing a child? Well there is just no 'fairness' about it. I have recently heard of more tragic stories than my own. I never thought I would say that out loud. Or write it for that matter.I had Daxton for 1 year and 9 days. That is more than some of the mothers I have met have had their little angels. I am grateful that I had him for as long as I did. Do I wish that it would have been longer? OF COURSE!!! Do I wish I could see him again right now beside me and give me a big hug and make all the hurt go away? OF COURSE!!! But it is not so just yet. I am to wait what seems like an eternity.
I am comforted though, as I watch Isabella grow. I was sitting in church yesterday and was looking around at all of the people of different ages. How quickly time goes, how quickly we age, how quickly we grow up. I am trying to enjoy the 'now,' the time I have with my kids, the time I have with my husband, and the time I have with my extended family. Life is short, although sometimes it seems SO long
I was able to attend Sunday School ( I am in the primary in my home ward) and the lesson was on Emma Smith, the wife of the Prophet Joseph Smith. How she suffered in her lifetime. She lost 7 out of 11 children. I can't even fathom. Her husband was beaten, taken from her on many occasions, and ultimately murdered. Once again. I can't even fathom. In a revelation given to Joseph Smith from God, she was told to not murmur and to find the good in her situation. (Doctrine and Covenants chapter 25).
If anyone had any right to murmur it would have been Emma Smith. With all of her suffering, sorrows, and tribulations, she had every right in my opinion to murmur. BUT, she didn't. (ok maybe she did a little bit, but I imagine she was able to find ways to serve others and lose herself in the service of others) She accepted that she was the wife of a great prophet. She accepted that she had the divine call to be the great lady she was and in order to mold her into the woman she was to become, she had to endure these trials.
I don't pretend to know what her thoughts, feelings, or attitude was. I can only guess. What I do know is that if I wanted to be bitter and hateful and spiteful and give up all I have been taught because of my suffering, I likely wouldn't be judged for it. It would seem I would have a 'right' to be mad or to fall away from the teachings I have been so dependent on in my life. I could find offense in every conversation I had. I could be angry and bitter and close myself off from the world. But I have chosen not to.
It hasn't been easy. There are good days and bad days, even now. 9 months later. It is often times hard for me to fathom that there are people who actually get to raise all of their children. It is much like when Savannah was born and was fed with a tube for 3 years, then Mikenna came along and sucked from a bottle. It was a miracle. My world has changed. I have been opened up to a room full of women who have angels as well as me. They have become my lifeline. The ones I depend on to get me through those hard days. They are the ones that know the loss of a child to a mother.
These last 9 months have molded me to the person I am today. Losing Daxton was the hardest thing I have ever had to endure. But I am still here. I have survived up to this point. If you would have asked me 9 months ago if I thought I would be here, I would have said no. But here I am. And I am grateful.
6 comments:
Well said my sweet friend! thanks for coming up and supporting my little family this weekend, i love u SO very much!
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I feel so bad for you and all the suffering mothers. I know the Lord will bless all of you one day beyond measure. Isabella is perfect, she looks like Daxton. Much love to you guys- Jenna lines
I have been thinking about you today. Wish it weren't so. Love you.
I have been wanting to tell you for so long now, how sorry I am for the loss of your little Daxton. I read your blog often, and I am always amazed at your strength and attitude. You are such an example, and I know your story has touched many lives. You have such a beautiful little family, the pictures of Isabella are so cute. I think you are amazing, and I mean that in all sincerity, and wish I would have taken more time to get to know you more in our short time as roomates:)(too busy thinking of myself back then!) Sorry for the long comment, and wish the best for you and your family.
Oh my sweet Brittany, I am so sorry. I wish there was something I could do to take away your pain...even if for a moment and add it to my own grief. It's hard, there is no doubt about it. Some days just plain suck the life out of you. I want you to know that YOU were one of the biggest reasons I have a postive (most days) outlook on things. YOU were the one who called a complete stranger 3 days after my Jack was called home. YOU took the time to console ME despite the fact that you were grieving for you sweet little Daxton. I am sure that Jack and Daxton not only know each other, but are glad that because of them we are now friends. I love you Britt. Hang in there. I wish I lived closer so we could go on a walk...I want to say run...but my belly is getting too big now. But you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. Tons of love to you.
Britt,
I can always count on reading your blog to make me realize what I already know! I have been STRUGGLING big time lately with my own trials. Having 2 autistic kids and a preemie...not an easy task. But I welcome anything that may come our way..as long as I get to raise my special sweet angels!! The Lord knew we could "handle" these trials. Sometimes it makes me angry when people say that to me, but in the end, I know it to be true!
Life is NOTHING like I thought it would be back when we were in high school. But I have learned so much love and patience. (still kinda working on the patience thing:) ) We shall get through this life! One thing that gets me through is knowing that in the next life, they will be PERFECT! And they will be MINE!
Post a Comment