Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Whipping cream and Sprinkles

These past few weeks have been SUPER fun, crazy, full of partying, late nights, and LOTS of family. And we have LOVED every minute of it. I love to have family in town and I hate to see them go. Really. I am not one of those who LOVES see them come and loves to see them go. Quite the opposite. Especially when your in laws are as GREAT as mine. Sorry if they aren't :).

We have been to Jeepers, a fun little kid amusement park. We have been to Bounce U, a fun big people and little people place where you bounce, go on slides, have boxing matches, and much much more. We have eaten until we think we are going to fall off our goard (or just make it LARGER). We have been to Polar Ice, an ice skating rink, where we fell and got up many a time. And we have just hung out watching movies, basketball, and each other. It has been great!!!

The other night we went to Red Robin and Mikenna as usual put in her order and was dismayed when her cousin received a chocolate milkshake. Ya. We don't even know what those are. Well my girls don't anyway, because of the strict diet we adhere to with Savannah. But that is beside the point. SOOOO we tried to pacify her by rounding up enough milk to shake into a glass. It was enough to fill it, but we were missing something. Mikenna about had a coniption fit. LUCKILY granny came to the rescue. She convinced Mikenna to crawl into her lap and tell her what the matter was. She told her she wanted to have whipping cream and sprinkles just like her cousins. That was all it took to cheer her mood.

Granny said, "you know why not just fix it with a little whipping cream and sprinkles if that is all that will make her happy."

I have thought this was such a simple, yet profound statement. Since then (it was only last night) I have had many experiences with her (Mikenna) where with just a little bit of whipping cream and sprinkles I can make her happy. In most cases this works and for that tid bit of advice I am grateful. Just the simple things can make my girls happy. If I just give a little more and "make a point" a little less.

I often find myself in a power struggle with my girls. Where I am "the mom" and they are "the children." While this is important to establish, there is a little bit of give and take that can be had here. We don't always have to 'win.' Where does that get us? If I can lay by Mikenna and give her a drink of milk before bed to make her happy? Why not? And how long does it take to answer the request to "Mommy, tell me a story." All but 2 minutes. 2 minutes. In the scheme of things, that 2 minutes is more important than anything I have to do. I am here to raise my girls, not ignore them so I can do what I want to do. My life right now is them. They are mine. And I love them.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

I'm so glad you've had so much fun! Wish we could have partied with you longer! Thanks for sharing that analogy...I loved the last paragraph about the power struggle. I totally agree with you on everything you said. You are right, those 2 minutes are more important than anything I have to do. My kids are more important that anything I have to do. They are my world... So I shouldn't let those other "things" seemingly take priority sometimes.

MotocrossMom AKA Autumn H. said...

Hi there,
I don't know you personally, but I pop in and keep up with you guys from time to time on your blog.
Just wanted to let you know that people out "here" are pulling for you. I feel your struggles and pray for you and your family. Everyone needs to know every once in a while that they have a friend and the world is not a cold, uncaring place. Even strangers do care about the well-being of others. I care about you and your family, even though I don't know you.
This is some great advice that I need to follow more often with my 2 children. You seem to be doing a fantastic job with your family, just wanted to let you know.

julie said...

Thank you for this post. It is exactly what I needed to hear tonight. I have been struggling with Tyler for the past couple of days, and the answer is so simple. I need to spend those 2 minutes with him instead of dying to have "alone time". Thank you for sharing your wisdom tonight.

sherie said...

Very well put. Thanks for inspiring me to be a better mom.

Jessica said...

How FUN! I just wanted to let you know that I too enjoy your in-laws. How could you not?! And I can totally see Ranae making the most and best of each situation.

I have commented before - I went to school with Angelica - but I look at your blog all the time. I just lost and buried a baby at 16 weeks. Granted I did not have to go through the hardships of raising and the having to bury. so it kinda doesn't relate - But she was still my baby. So thank you for your words of support and in-sights.