Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Homeless Woman

About two weeks ago, I made an appointment with a local myopractor (after stalling for months) for yesterday afternoon at 3:15 for Savannah and I. After school I picked up the girls and went about my business getting snacks, talking with the husband, and fending off the baby so that I could get the older girls settled and doing their homework and chores. As the girls were finishing up the dishes, I was making cookie dough (as a bribe for the girls... and a coping mechanism for ME)... the phone rang.

It was the myopractor's office. (Looking at the clock it was 3:45) CRAP! I answered phone and was immediately apologetic for missing my appointment. The woman on the other end said that it would be fine if we came just then.

OK a little side note here. I woke up in the morning and threw on some clothes, didn't bother brushing my hair (because seriously with a baby in tow who has the coordination for that). I don't even think I bothered to put on any deodorant or brush my teeth (since that only happens when I take my habitual shower and then brush my teeth and put on deodorant). The white shirt I was wearing was covered in chocolate and boogers and oatmeal and macaroni and cheese... and the pants I was wearing were actually rather cute and in style (or so I thought). I guess you could say that I looked rather homeless.

As I ran out the door the thought did not even occur to me that I looked as though I was in disarray because so is the life of the (rather) young mother. I hauled Savanah out wearing her overly washed faded navy blue uniform shirt, khaki uniform pants, and very stylish black, grey, and white plaid socks. We entered the office huffing and puffing because I couldn't find the place and I was dragging Savannah by the armpit to speed her up. I filled out the necessary paperwork and we were ushered in to meet with the myopractor. The visit went well. Our concerns were addressed and we were on our way.

Side note: Savannah was diagnosed with scoliosis a few weeks ago and we had x-rays done and they looked HORRIBLE. Savannah has kind of a hunchback from it and it has been worrying me ever since my dad pointed it out. I had attributed it to her asymmetry but it is really from her scoliosis. I told the practitioner this and he proceeded to adjust and align her. Some may disagree that I took my special needs 11 year old to be adjusted by a myopractor, but I am here to tell you that her hunchback IS GONE!!!! Oh my word. Its seriously unbelievable unless you have seen it. I really wish that I would have gotten a before and after picture because it is truly remarkable.

I digress. We walked into the "lobby" area and I asked the receptionist/wife of the myopractor how much it was and what form of payment was accepted. She said only cash or check and I looked a little bewildered apparently because who has cash on hand? I proceeded to dig through my wallet looking for whatever cash I had.... $21. I asked if I could just come back tomorrow with a check when they opened or at my next appointment.... She said that wouldn't work. Then I asked her if she wanted me to run home and get my checkbook and come right back... That was then acceptable so I took me and my homeless looking self and child home to get the checkbook and dropped Savannah off at activity days and grabbed Isabella (who hadn't had her hair brushed in two days, wearing her new swimsuit, and without shoes).

I walked in and sat down to write out the check at the receptionist/wife's desk. This was our conversation:
ME: (pen in hand writing in checkbook) So what's the total?
HER: um well, usually it's, (flipping through the schedule book and I am like oh crap I bet she is going to tack on $10 because we were late) um, well.... Are you guys doing ok?
ME: um.... (thinking to myself yes we were just adjusted and my daughters back looks amazing and I feel amazing) what do you mean are we doing ok?
HER: um... (alot of "ums" in this convo) well... Is there a reason you had to go home and get money?
ME: (I THINK I AM CATCHING ON HERE!... I LOOK HOMELESS)...(I explained) Well actually I wrote my last check this afternoon and left the new checkbook on the counter so I had to go home and get it... Is that what you mean?
HER: Well I didn't want to take food from your mouth.
ME: (MOUTH GAPING OPEN... I AM NOT EVEN SURE WHAT I SAID AFTER THAT) but me and my homeless child walked out the door.

Sometimes we as mothers just get so ragged and run down that we just look homeless. And so is the story of the homeless woman. ME!!!

4 comments:

Steph K said...

I feel sooooo much better about all the times I look homeless! Thank you! I'm not alone. :)

jen said...

Where's the picture? That would have been awesome!

Unknown said...

Brit, you always look gorgeous! No matter if you are sporting breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Love ya!

Chanelle said...

That made me laugh. Thank you! I keep saying, "I`m a frumpy housewife and I can`t help it!". Three has done me in! There`s just no time to primp anymore.