7 years ago we traveled to New York City to visit with Dr. Rozbruch about lengthening Savannah's leg. As we were in the waiting room holding Mikenna and I think I was pregnant with Daxton, I saw a lady come in in a wheelchair. She had this huge halo thing around her leg and it literally hurt my heart and soul to look at it but I couldn't take my eyes off of it.
We were a little too late on the external fixator that we could have done when she was 5, so we had to wait a few more years until better technology came around. Luckily about that time a doctor in Baltimore was creating an internal fixator for kids with a bone larger in diameter. We met him two years ago after he decides to relocate to west palm beach Florida. It's gorgeous here ms he knew the market here didn't ave an orthopedic surgeon doing limb lengthening... No duh! He could move anywhere and people would still travel across country (not unlike us) to have him perform surgery.
He's a superstar surgeon and after two years of visiting him here in Florida we decided to make a Go of it. Tiling was good and Doug's work has been working with bus wonderfully to be able to leave town for three or more months and have this surgery! I'm grateful for rock star doctors like Dr Paley who honestly are about their patients and families.... Unlike unrockstar physicians who leave 3 minutes before you get to the appointment you have waited months for....
Leaving Savannah in ever so capable hands... We got up early and dressed n readied ourselves down to the hospital just in time for preop. Savannah pulled down her socks and said "mom, I pulled down my socks so that doctor Paley won't cut them with my leg." She's a thinker that one. Always thinking... And talking!!!
She made friends with all the babies and nurses and doctors and even gave the surgeon and anesthesiologist the one two. Only savannah can get away with that ;). They wheeled her back to the OR and I was able to go back with her until they had to start intubating her (breathing tube).... They gave her some happy medicine and she became very combative and put her legs over her head at one point. I was trying not to bust a gut but it was pretty much next to impossible.
She didn't like the burning of the anesthesia in her arm... And at one point during surgery she bought herself another IV... I don't know why they ask for an IV if they are just going to place another one, but whatev. I asked if I could stay and watch because I think it would be fascinating...
Of course they said no. I was ready to leave anyway after I saw her laying asleep on the table. It's much easier when it is someone else's kid on the table or in pain or in the hospital bed. I don't like seeing her so down. (Even though some days I pray for these moments)....
Surgery was a success!!! It was about 4 hours long... A little long for my taste but bit went really well. The bone was a little smaller in diameter than they had originally anticipated so they had to do some maneuvering to make it fit but he said that that was ok and that the bone would grow around it. Crazy. I can't imagine how they will get it out... (In a year) but I'm sure w has already though of that. He also put a plate in her knee so that she can walk straight. Pretty slick how good he is. When I grow up I want to be one of his PAs. ;)
Savannah has been a little sick after surgery. We have changed her sheets pillows and blankets a few times but all is well. She is sleeping the pain and that's all I can hope for. Poor little honey. She was all smiles before surgery. Now she is locked up in her foggy head is anesthesia and pain meds.
The cafeteria is something to behold for sure!!! Totally repulsive. I vomited in my mouth when I saw the good they were serving. Gross!!!!!!
B










No comments:
Post a Comment