Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Thursday, July 23, 2009

What I didn't get to say- to the reporter

To my readers: Today I met with a very nice reporter who is going to tell Daxton's story. I hope that she got the answers that she was looking for and that she will write an appropriate summary of our discussion.

To the reporter: I hope that you were able to find what you were looking for. There were so many thoughts as I left you today. I wanted to make sure that you got all your questions answered and I am not sure that you did. So here are my thoughts on paper, they work better this way. At least I think so. The pressure of saying the right thing the first time is off because I have a little key known as the "delete" button and it works well. :)

Here is the 'story' from the beginning.

Daxton was born on May 31, 2007. He was the most beautiful baby in the entire world. I have posted my most precious memories on a different blog and you can feel free to visit at www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

We were out of town when the accident happened. It was obviously tragic to say the very least. We came from out of town and went straight to the hospital. I can't even begin to describe walking into the room where my son lay silently. I just can't. I referred to the loss as losing my right arm. I had. I have. I lost my right arm. My baby. He was literally attached to me. In every sense. I carried him on my hip. I carried him in my sling. I carried him everywhere. He crawled to me when he wasn't in my arms. He loved me and I him. And then suddenly, he was gone. I held him. I cried. I sobbed. My heart broken. Where do you even begin? Where do you even pick up the pieces? And can you? Those were some of my thoughts.

You asked what my thoughts were when I walked into the room. When I saw him. There really aren't any words. I can't even begin to describe the sorrow and loss. You truly don't know unless you have been there and I hope that you or someone you know NEVER are. It is horrible. It is tragic. It is hard. But here I am. A year later. I never thought that time would go on. I never thought I would see a year later. Not because I was suicidal, but because how could life go on? How could I begin to care about the price of bananas again? My world was turned upside down.

The details of Daxton's death are truly irrelevant unless I want to become an advocate for Parents for Window Blind Safety and honestly, I have found something else to fill the void if you will. The truth is that he is gone. It was his time. Perhaps not from my perspective, but he had completed his mission or time on earth.

At the hospital, they were wonderful. They did the best they could with what they had. I wanted to help to give back to families who were going through the same thing I have. I wanted to help them in some small way. I also needed to help myself. I am not going to lie. I needed something to occupy my time. I got wind of a nurse at the hospital about starting a Daxton Box and I instantly thought of my brother who was doing his Eagle Project. We sat down and talked about what we wanted to put into the box. We wrote our little notes to the families. You can get more details about what is in the box and why at www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com.

We began fundraising at church. We had many generous donations from family, friends, neighbors, people I didn't even know, and my blogging world friends (thanks again yall). With those funds, I hand picked blankets, stuffed animals, cameras, and spent over 50 hours alone sewing and hemming 75/100 of the blankets.

I continued delving into many projects. We talked about this. About my different projects. I am not too good on the spot. I began sewing blankets for my baby girl ( I was 7 weeks pregnant with my 4th child Isabella. I forgot to mention her) and I crocheted around the edges. It took hours of my free time. It was AWESOME!! I learned how to make bows. I made 2 diaper bags. It was intense. We redid our playroom. I scrubbed my house top to bottom every week. It was amazing how much free time I had when the girls were in school. I began blogging. Faithfully. It was and has been SO therapeutic. I have met so many people who have been so supportive and faithful readers of my ramblings.

Then Isabella was born in January. 6 months after Daxton passed away. It was incredible healing. To have my arms full with a baby again. Of course I still felt the loss. In fact, there were times when the loss was extremely poignant after she was born. I mourned almost all over again. I was supposed to have 3. I have a family of 5 from the outside looking in. But my family has 6. I have 4 children, yet I can only see 3 of them. This was and sometimes is the hardest part for me.

A year later: I am doing better. I have filled my time and my arms for the most part with the joys that I see in front of me. There was a time when I didn't think I would be able to smile or laugh or live again. I am glad that I don't feel that way anymore. I have days where I still fall on the floor (literally) and cry from the physical and emotional pain that I feel from the loss of my precious little angel. But I am coping. Hopefully I am helping others. Hopefully Daxton's story has touched the hears of many and that his death was not in vain. Actually I know his story has touched many. I know he lives on in all our hearts. I know that his mission was complete.

I hope that you have found what you need. You can go back to the beginning of this blog to June 9, 2008 and find more information that you could ever have dreamed of needing. I know that you will do a great job. I know that it will be tasteful, touching, and will be a great story (but then I am biased :)) I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see what you have come up with. Thank you for your time and for telling our story. If you have any other questions, you can email me. You will find it under my profile. Or you can just leave a comment. Actually, if you do happen upon this, would you leave a comment?

9 comments:

Michelle said...

(((HUGS))) to you!
Please let us know when and where it's going to be - in the newspaper or on tv!

Nee Nee said...

I am a stranger to you, but I have followed your blog for the past year. You have given me strength at my weakest moments... you have buoyed me up when I was giving up... we all have our own crosses to bear and our own personal Gethsemane's. You are amazing... you are a fighter. You have a precious angel who is on the other side cheering for you and leading you home. May you always be comforted. Thank you for being you!

LL said...

I'm guilt of reading EVERY one of your posts and never commenting (i might have left a comment or two long ago).
I guess I haven't known what to say, so I silently mourn your loss and celebrate your happy moments with you.
You have a BEAUTIFUL family!
I love the Daxton boxes your doing for the hospital...I look forward to reading his blog.
You are a woman of amazing strength, thank you for sharing so much of your life with us!

Kelly said...

I honestly think you should send this post to her, along with a link to your blog so that she can get to know you, Daxton and the rest of your beautiful family better.

Most reporters have their e-mail addresses posted with their articles.

I echo what Michelle, Nee Nee, and LL say...you are an amazing woman and mother!

kisha said...

love you... miss you... happy that things are better but know that you struggle and worry about you all the time. I am not good at knowing how to comfort but I think of you often. and miss you. I too read your blog every week and am in awe of how strong you are. You amaze me with your ability to find the strength to keep moving forward with each obstacle that gets in your way. I thank my Heavenly Father for bringing you into my life and allowing me to call you a friend! Hope to see you soon.

Hubers said...

That was so beautiful. I'm glad you wrote it down.

Ras Family said...

I am friends with Krystal. I met you once, a long time ago at college. I ran across your blog about a year ago. The day I read it I called my Mom and cried and cried. My son was just a few months old and I was having to go back to work. My heart ached for you! Since then I went back to work, then quit to be a SAHM, laughed, and cried as I've read your blog. I don't read it daily or weekly or all the posts, but I LOVE it!. It reminds me to love everyday and reminds me that I am human, that I will and can have all sorts of feelings, and that's okay. You are a strength and inspiration to mothers everywhere! THANK YOU!

m e g h a n said...

Well.. I have never commented before on your blog, but you asked, and I will do just that! My name is Meeghan, and I am fifteen years old! I don't know anyone who has lost a baby as tragically as you did. But your story inspires me... It inspires me to be a better person, inspires me to work, to share, to love, to care, and so much more!! I never thought by reading a blog, my life would change so dramatically! I read your blog everytime there is a new post! You children, not just Daxton are so wonderful! Savannah! Oh what a doll!! One day, I would like to hear her story as well... She looks like such a blessing in your life! Mikenna, she has a life expirence, that not many girls will have! She knows what it is like to have a sister with special needs, and also knows what it is like to lose someone so dear to her... Most girls her age, or even my age never have to endure what she has had too, and for that, she is amazing! and Isabelle, what a cutie!! She is Daxton's best friend! They played up in heaven. She has a special bond with her older brother!! I am sure you already know all of this, but I just had to speak my mind on your story! I cry, everytime i read this! You are an AMAZING women! You inspire me so much, to be a great mom, you raise your kids, they way I have always wanted to!!
Thank you SOOO much for sharing your story with the world!! It really has changed my life!!
-Meeghan!
Mypurplecircle at gmail dot com

Sarah said...

Beautiful. I love how you cover what needs to be covered but don't dwell on the sad. It is a part of you but not ALL of you. You see life so differently and challenge others silently to look at our lives.