Few people in life touch your hearts and are never forgotten. They come into your life and make such a difference that you will never be the same again. You will know them forever and you will always remember the small acts of kindness they serve you with.
Mrs. Debbie is one of these few. Each week Savannah will beg to talk on the phone to Mrs. Debbie. She will count down the days until Sunday (we reserve this day for her otherwise she would beg EVERY day and every Sunday seems to be enough begging for me) so that she can talk to her beloved Mrs. Debbie. She will grab my phone and say, "Mommy, you have Mrs. Debbie phone number?" And of course she knows I do, so what can I do but say yes and dial the number.
We then here Savannah say "HHHEEEEELLLLLOOOOO? Mrs. Debbie? This SaVanNah." And on the other end we hear a laugh. Savannah giggles and says, "Mommy, Mrs. Debbie laughing." And so begins the weekly 30 minute ritual of Savannah talking to Mrs. Debbie. I always wonder if she is imposing on Mrs. Debbie's day. But I am always reassured that Savannah calls at just the right moment when Debbie needs to hear... HHEEEELLLLOOOO?
Let me give you a little background on Mrs. Debbie. She is the mother of one of Doug's long time friends and a very big part of the Kunz's family. She has taken to Savannah. Each time we go to Idaho to visit, we stop at Mrs. Debbie's house to see her, to feed her chickens, and to collect the eggs, and of course to collect many a kisses and hugs. It is not uncommon to see Savannah glued to her hip. And the best part, Mrs. Debbie LOVES her!!!! LOVE IT!!!
Mrs. Debbie has a darling daughter of her own with many physical challenges and trials. The last time Doug was in Idaho he and his family thought it would be a good idea to give back to Mrs. Debbie and her family, for she has touched out hearts forever. We made this come to pass with the "Make a Wish" Foundation. It is an organization that provides a "wish" to children ages 2 to 18 and their families. There is a significant amount of paper work and phone calls but it was all worth it.
We were able to present this to our Darling Mrs. Debbie's daughter. My husband and his crazy family put on quite a show. Maybe I will post the video if I ever get smart enough, but don't hold your breath.
Anyway, this one is for you our Mrs. Debbie!!!!! You are one of a kind. Truly.
1 comment:
We just heard about the wish, from Nick and Tanya last night. I didn't realize that you guys were in on it! What a special thing you did for her. She is the sweetest little girl. Nick said that she can't think about what wish to make. She just feels guilty because there are so many other kids who have cancer and who are worse off than her. She is so humble and sweet. I am so glad that you guys did that for them. It was so great to see you guys. I wish so much we all lived closer. I think our kids would totally get along. Katelyn LOVED Savannah. She thought she was so cute. I am so sad we were not able to get together again. Hopefully next time:) You can always come to Georgia and we can take Savannah to Savannah!!!!
Post a Comment