My cousin asked me my thoughts on this topic and for some reason I think better when writing on my blog. I just finished making 2 batches of rolls and I really hope that they rise good enough for me to use in the am, because I really want to make cinnamon rolls and the rolls you roll in LOTS of butter. I was having a bit of trouble with the yeast. You see, I bought a jar from Safeway, opened it, and then put in on the shelf in the pantry. Doug walked in one day and said, "You know, if you put yeast in the pantry and not in the fridge it will go bad." So I put it in the fridge (a little to late).
So the next day or so, I went to Walmart and bought a jar of yeast (for NO kidding 1/3 the cost I paid at Safeway) and promptly put it in the fridge after use. Well since I am SUCH a genius, I left both bottles in there and didn't bother to toss the "bad" one away. Seriously I just couldn't stomach tossing the bottle that cost me 3X as much away. I couldn't do it.
That leads me to tonight.... I was making this batch of rolls trying to figure out which yeast was bad and which one wasn't. Nobody but me knows I am making these rolls, so they won't know any different if they turn and crappy and in the garbage, but I KNOW that I made them and it was hard work, so I would like them to turn out :).
On to personal revelation.... we will see how we can tie all this together (LOL). First of all, if we aren't worthy of living with the Spirit then we are unable to receive personal revelation for ourselves, our family, our children, our circumstances, or anything for that matter. Much like the dead yeast. It no longer works and you get bad or no rolls at all. (a stretch I know).
Interestingly enough when I was cooking I thought to myself, "you bought that at Safeway and you have some other in the pantry from there. It was all the same brand, so if you can find it you will know which brand you bought where and the one from Safeway is the 'bad' one." I looked in the pantry and sure enough the one I had used on my rolls was from Walmart... or the good one.
Personal Revelation? Sure. I think that we don't necessarily need BIG revelations. A lot of little ones will help us gain a testimony. I run. My dad runs (or used to) It is our time to think, ponder, and we have both received countless numbers of personal revelation while running. I would also ask my dad to do a 'gut check' for me. He would fast, pray, or whatever he had to do and get back to me, with a verdict on my question.
Throughout my life I have had a number of personal revelations, albeit through the still small voice and personal prayer. I don't believe very many people receive personal revelation through angels, or the Heavens opening, or visions. Personally, I don't think very many people could handle it. However, I am simple. I just like simple answers to 'simple' questions.
From a very young age, I knew that I would have a 'special needs' child. I didn't know what the special need would be, who it would be, or if it would be a girl or a boy. I just knew. And then I had Savannah and it was made sure. The moment I saw Doug walk into my physics class at BYU-Idaho, I knew he was the one (I just needed to convince him :)).
When I left for Havasupai, I knew something very bad was going to happen. I would check my gut every night and was relieved when I felt peace. And then something bad did happen. Something tragic happened. I knew that I would come out of it. I knew that I would be able to survive it, to survive the death of my baby. I work towards it every day. Someday I will look back and see all the bitter and the sweet.
I know that each of us is capable in some shape, form, or fashion to have a personal revelation from our Father in Heaven. It is His way of communcating with us. It is His way of showing us He loves us and wants us to be happy. I don't know if this answers my cousin's question, but that is my answer :).
5 comments:
Thank you Britt, it is perfect. I really appreciate it. Oh, and I imagine that your cinnamon rolls will be fabulous...wish i could be there to sample one. ;) love you!
SO I just realized that the above post says Joy wrote it... but really it was me. She is staying at my house and her blogger account was still open and without realizing it was hers I just posted on yours. Just thought I'd tell you I wrote that. Again, thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on the matter for me. I owe you!
Thank you.
That is lovely and inspiring. And suddenly, cinnamon rolls sound delish!
Very well put! You are an such an awseome example to so many of us!!!!!!!
Post a Comment