Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Migraines

Oh how I love a good migraine. Sucks all the energy, gives me black spots, and really is a PAIN.

When I was in college, my first semester, I was putting on my make up. All of the sudden I started seeing black spots. I thought what in the world is going on? I had no idea. I might have had a handful of migraines before, but never one with an aura (sign of something).

This particular day I began to freak out. It was early in the morning and I seriously thought I was going blind. I couldn't call the doctor because they weren't in yet and it was too early to call my mom. So I went to class.

About half way through my physics class (loaded with very cute boys, including my future husband) I had to RUN out of the room to the bathroom and puke. my. guts. out. It was the strangest thing I had ever experienced. I went back into the classroom somewhat sheepishly, grabbed my stuff, and headed home. My head was pounding and so I did what any college student would do. Took a cocktail of 3 extra strength Excedrin Tylenol, 2 Ibuprofen, covered my eyes, and went to sleep for 6 hours.

By the time I woke up, it was just a dull memory accompanied with a dull headache. I had experienced my first REAL. LIVE. MIGRAINE. Yeah. Throughout college I got them on and off depending on the stress and sugar levels in my blood.

Well they have resurfaced!!!! Can I say how seriously NOT excited I am about this? When I was pregnant with Daxton from about 30 to 36 weeks I experienced about 2-3 migraines a week. I only remember the weeks because I was doing a critical care rotation in nursing school and had one every other day for 4 weeks. Yay.

SO as I enter my 30th week, I am initiated with a repeat cycle of these lovely Ms. I have had 2 this week and it is only Thursday. I could seriously do with some suggestions that work for you all. I don't have the luxury of taking a Tylenol PM, Excedrin, or Percocet (which I think would REALLY work), so any other home remedies would be VERY much appreciated.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course a VERY dark room - a lot of people find ice good but I cudnt bear the thot so I had someone alternating warming up my pillow on the outside of the over door and gently resting my throbbing head on the warmth. Someone always had another waiting when the first one cooled. In a particularly bad "cluster", I finally noticed that tomatoes were the trigger so stay away from tomatoes. If you must speak, try shielding that side of your mouth in case your teeth are sensitive triggers too. In fact, forego brushing your teeth - a warm saline rince shud suffice.

Hope this helps - I really feel for you. My 1st trimester of my 2nd pregnancy was loaded with migraines.

Unknown said...

IF you do not have a microwavable rice warming bean bag, get you one. They are very easy to make. Go to Target get the washcloths that are 8-12 pack, usually sell for 2.99-4.99. Stitch around the edges, leaving a small opening, pour in 2 cups of rice, stitch the hole up and you have made the best device with many uses, in car seats when it's cold, throw in the bed at night when you need to get warm quickly, but more importantly they are soft, and you can wrap them around your neck, shoulders, place across your forehead, eyes, etc. I have come to do this with every migraine and it does ease the pain....These also make the cutest teacher gifts at Christmas. It is a gift you do not even have to wrap. Buy the stiff ribbon and tie around the warming rice bag and it looks like a package. All my teachers at school ask when they can have another one....CHEAP and wonderful, and has many uses.....Oh I usually warm mine for about 2-2 1/2 minutes in the microwave but you can do as little or up to 3 minutes...depending on how hot you want it. For gifts, I usually give the instructions and the various uses. They love it...

KellyB said...

I get 3 a week but found that running and lots of water is the only thing keeping them away. Good Luck!

jen said...

Ask your dr. if you can take midrin. I don't get migraines very often, just usually a few weeks after I have a baby. But this one they let me take while I'm nursing. I don't know if the restrictions are the same when pregnant. I'm sure they're different. There is NOTHING worse than trying to take care of kids with a migraine--the noise, the smells, the unavoidable responsibilities that make you leave the dark room sanctuary. Good luck.

Nate and Jamie said...

A nice tall glass of coke has worked wonders for my migraines while I'm pregnant. I've been getting Migraines since I was little and Excedrin is the only thing that works but I'm 37 weeks prego so I stick to coke. Good luck!

Sant Family said...

My sympathies, I get them too. And especially when I was pregnant - probably more tired and dehydrated.

I usually get the aura too - for me it is twinkling lights (thought I was having a stroke) and if I can treat it RIGHT THEN I can usually beat it. If that fails what works for me now is 4 Advil, 2 big dog Excedrin, cold washcloth on my forehead, dark room, ear plugs, and NO movement. Even the air moving from my bedroom door opening is painful. So what I would do is take what meds you can and try anything above that sounds like it might work. (Some people like warm packs, but that increases my nausea.)

No excedrin OR tylenol? Is that new? Haven't been pregnant in 6 years ...

One time I had particularly nasty migraine and Larry rubbed my feet and it totally worked. I do have to say that I think sometimes that would make me puke more.

Good luck with the next few weeks. Hopefully you get a magical suggestion from someone.

Kristina said...

I feel your pain... literally. I had a very similar experience with my first migraine, only I was in junior high and just walked home after a class because I was frieking out and thought I was going blind! I am still at that stage in my pregnancy that I can take advil, but am not looking forward to those last couple of months. One thing that I did before when I had a stubborn migraine that continued for days was drink a ceyenne tincture. It was horrible, but the terible burning pain only lasted a few minutes and after that the migraine was gone. I guess because migraines are vascular, the ceyenne opens up vessels and gets rid of them. I have heard of people snorting it too (ouch)! Good luck, I hope you find something that helps.

Anonymous said...

Caffeice is supposed to do wonders for migraines, but I have also heard not to try it. When I have migraines and am nauseous a big tall glas of OJ usually does the trick.
Of course a dark room, and a nap help too but sometimes we can't be afforded all the "luxuries".

BTW, I've been a lurker for quite sometime on here.

Heather & Greg said...

I too am a lurker and when I was pregnant with both of my girls I had horrible migraines, mine normally started somewhere in my 20 weeks. My first girl I would have to go to the hospital and have demoral shots and my next one my doctor prescribed me medicine. Maybe your doctor would prescribe you something. I'm almost 11 weeks pregnant and am curious if i will get them again (I didn't have them with my boys so we'll see). I wish you the best of luck and hope they don't last long!

Angenette said...

I'm so sorry! I get them like crazy in my first trimester. The first time I went straight to my OB's office in a panic. For me, they are tied to morning sickness and a drop in blood sugar levels when I can't keep stuff down. When one starts (visual disturbance is my clue), I try to eat something I know I'll keep down, splash super-cold water on my face and lie down in a dark room with a cold, wet washcloth over my eyes. It usually does the trick and I can fend it off before the pain starts, usually within an hour. Good luck!

KT said...

I've been a lurker for a while. I find your posts inspiring and uplifting. Thank you.

One thing I do for pain is soak my feet in the hottest water they can stand (usually sitting on the edge of the tub). It helps draw blood away from the head and lessens the pain. Be sure to have a towel near by so you can dry off asap or you will get COLD!

Coke also helps, though I try to limit how often I use that one.

Hopefully you feel better soon.

Joy said...

Hey Brittany. Me and some sisters in the Relief Society were just discussing this the other night because they get migraines. Anyway, one lady said that her doctor prescribed fioricet. I don't know if you ever tried it, but she took it during her pregnancy (her baby is only a couple months old now) and the doctor said it was fine. I know drugs are kinda "if-y" during pregnancy, but I just thought I'd share what I heard. I hope you find something that works.
And I still love reading your blog. Thanks for all the insights!

MaRilla said...

I do not remember if we talked about this while I was there... I have mentioned it to several people lately... I was getting 2 a week for one month a little while back and knew it was stress, but just in case I went to the dr. and the eye dr. Nothing from them. In the profession that I am in, I decided to go talk to someone. I made and appointment to see a therapist/counselor... and lo and behold after about a month of weekly visits, no more headaches! You have experienced several life changing events(death, graduation, job, etc.) recently and I am sure you are stressed to your max. Talking to a professional just may be what you need! It works. If you need any ideas call me. Love ya!