I know that I should be grateful today because it's November and by golly we should be grateful in November because it's Thanksgiving.
But I am just fit to be tied. We had a meeting with "the team" at Savannah's school and I was seriously less than impressed. It seems as though it gets harder and harder the older that Savannah gets to find people who will love her and be good to her.
I have turned into "Mama Bear" and she is not a fun person to mess with. Trust me. You all know. When the Mama Bear comes out you better watch out.
So after all these meetings of spending time with the principal, the psychologist, the teacher, the parent advocate, and Doug and I, I am still left to wonder if any of it will make a difference or sink in. It is all just so frustrating.
As I sat there, the teacher tried to tell me that since she had a friend with a child who had Prader Willi, she had SO much experience on the matter and that I had none. I just live, breathe, eat, and sleep daily PWS... but it's all in my head. I am sorry. WHAT?!?!?!?! And that we really need to find a way to get Savannah's behaviors under control (we have had like 100 good days and 5 bad days.... but when the bad days come, they are REALLY bad, not going to lie). We need to find a way at school to handle them... so STOP suspending her!!!
The suggestion came up that she be put in a time out padded room that is more like a closet than a room. I am SORRY?!?!?!?!? At first I thought that was a good idea, and the more I thought about it the more ludicrous I thought it was. If it comes to that... I am just not sure what I will do.
So I guess today I am grateful for the parent advocate that went to the meeting today with us.
6 comments:
Ack. They have one there?
I have no advice to give except to say that I'm thinking of and praying for you all...
When will principals, teachers, psychiatrists, etc., learn that MOMS KNOW BEST! I can't count the number of times I went to bat for Tucker (not the same as Savannah I know) and how people would question my opinion just because I was the mom, not trained in child behavior. Excuse me? Wanna punch in the face, lady?
Enough of my Mama Bear routine. Good luck. Don't back down. And squeeze Savannah for me. You'll make it through this, a little battered, but through it.
And thanks for being willing to rescue me Friday night. What kind of an idiot loses their keys? I guess that would be me.
I sooo Hear You! I don't know if you know this, but my eldest daughter has bipolar disorder and OCD.
When she was younger (about 7), it was REALLY bad. :( Seriously, bad anxiety and severe mood swings. Just going to school was a challenge for her. She could not handle being cornered, yelled at, and GOD forbid do NOT grab her (she has some sensory issues too). One day, one IDIOT woman/teacher did all three. She FREAKED! They did NOT call me. I lived practically across the street. She ran from her terrified, and the stupid woman pinned her down, with the help of two other adults and they forced her to go sit in that 'padded room', which they called 'the box' (I had NEVER even heard of it before). My baby had BRUISES on her from them, and I know she is STILL traumatized from the experience.
They never called me. They waited to tell me about it when I picked her up. I was SOOOO FURIOUS you can't even IMAGINE. HOW DARE they do that?! My husband and I held countless meetings, wrote letters to the superintendent, etc...
Ultimately, they said they were 'legally' justified in there treatment of her (BRUISES, BOX and all). Can you imagine if we as parents treated our kids like that? CPS would come!
Honestly, we ended up switching schools, and she had a wonderful experience. We talked to her teacher ahead of time about things that trigger her, positive ways to help redirect her, and she was MORE than happy to help her feel safe and comfortable, and she did SO Well!
Good luck to you. There is nothing worse than entrusting your most precious treasures to someone and having them treat them poorly. :(
I don't think you know me but I found your blog through Kami's a long, long time ago and have been a reader ever since! My younger brother and sister both have special needs and my mom has had to fight to get them what they need in their schools. My mom is always talking about how wonderful GPS is and that MPS is a lot harder to get what you need (not sure what district you are in). My mom now volunteers and helps other parents who have children with special needs get the attention and help they need through the schools. I'm guessing that is what a parent advocate is.
Honestly, that whole padded room thing had me furious from the get go. My sister does not speak and is autistic and often throws tantrums and pinches or pushes people. But she isn't crazy and I dont think my mom would ever allow someone to put her in a padded room for a time out.
I am so sorry you're having a rough time with Savannah. The few times I'e met her (Kami's bridal shower and wedding) I can tell she is a special little girl. I hope things get worked out with the school and that she gets a better experience.
That is so crazy! If I were a parent and in your shoes I'd be frustrated as well. I work with 2 students on the autism spectrum and one student I never know they will get upset or throw a tantrum. At first I thought it depended on the day but no pattern was found so I just do the best I can. The only thing I've found that has worked with that particular student is allowing more breaks and to do work for 25 minutes - then give a break of a few choices - then work 25 minutes with a 5 - 10 minute break. Our classes go about 84 minutes long but I do my best to see how long work can be done. The student has a quiet room that they can go to if need to so maybe Savannah needs a place where she can go cool off and just take a few minutes alone. In my opinion a padded room will not work.
I hope for the best for you and your family. Savannah is a great girl who just needs some compassion and love. Good luck!!
Wow. I totally understand your frustration, as my son has autism. Luckily this year, we finally got a great team of teachers for him. Hope things get better! My son's school does NOT have one of those rooms THANK GOD!!
Post a Comment