It wouldn't be hard
My brother Daniel recently left on a mission. I told him I was pregnant when he left, just mere 10 weeks ago (ish). Then I had to tell him I had a miscarriage, a D and C and the whole bit. He thought it over and in his next letter he said, "I have been pondering why bad things happen to good people." He then referred me to a scripture.... I didn't read it. I should. But I still struggle with why bad things happen, so we will just leave it be for now.
He was so sweet and so sincere. I can't believe how grown up he is in just a few short months. He leaves for Portugal on the 17th. It will be a great experience for him. He is quite the guy.
So I pondered why bad things happen to good people. Why does it feel sometimes that I am being crapped (my VERY good friend used this term and I thought it very applicable) on day after day after day after day?
I can't really answer that question.
I was a rotten teenager.... maybe this is my penance (no I don't really believe that). Or maybe I just need a lot of lessons to help me progress and become better (I sure would LOVE a different way). Or maybe I am such a chosen spirit that I "GET" to have all these trials because I am SO DANG AWESOME!!! (Ya. I hate it when people say, "Wow you must be really awesome to handle that trial." Ya. No. Or maybe I just need to taste the bitter again and again so that I can stop being so ungrateful for what the Lord has blessed me with. Or maybe He just wants me to be stronger. Maybe there is a greater purpose for me.
While I would NEVER have truly agreed to some of the trials on my block, I would not give up my sweet Savannah; she continually and constantly teaches me patience (by fire sometimes), self control (all those emotions and compulsions and she holds it together surprisingly well), unconditional love (no matter what I say or do she ALWAYS forgives me and loves me) I could do without the scars on my face, but they have taught me that looks aren't everything.
We all have scars. Some we can see and some we can't. That is how we learn and grow and become better. I really could have done without Daxton dying, but I would do it all over again, just to have him in my life to learn from him while he was here and when he was gone. He has taught me to appreciate my girls, everything they do. Good. Bad. Ugly. Anything. Of course I loved them before, but I might be a better mother because of it all (or worse, depending on the day and the stress level, which thank to school has been lessened tremendously).
Losing my job has forced me to find other ways to keep busy, to expand my knowledge, and to make a final decision of what I want to be when I grow up (well I have at least narrowed it to two). I was also able to spend the entire summer with the girls. 4 weeks of just them and me. It was fun, tiring, stressful, and OVER :). Pray that I will get a job soon. I am going nuts!!!!
The miscarriage taught me that losing a child is much much much much much did I mention it was MUCH worse? And that was that.
I think that the saying "If life were easy, it wouldn't be hard" is an interesting one. It pops into my mind daily, following the thought of my precious little boy on the other side. I think of him often. And it hurts to the bottom of my soul. Especially when I look at Isabella. I see all that he was, all that he could have been, all that he won't be in this life, and then I think of all the joy I will have when I see him again. When all the trials in the world will no longer matter because I will know. I will know why we have had to suffer. I will know why I accepted these unbearable challenges. And it won't matter anymore. I wish it didn't matter now..... but it does.
Holding her:

9 comments:
I hear ya on this one girl. Wish I had something truly profound to say to make you smile or something that would take even a second of pain away. But know you are loved by so many and are so inspiring. I think of you every single day. Our two years are over (mine is almost over...) Our boys should be coming home. If only....someday right? Love you Brit!
I felt like you tapped in my brain and stole my thoughts and feelings! Our family keeps getting crapped on almost on a weekly basis it feels like and sometimes I really wonder what in the world I must done wrong? Then I get the catch phrases...your so strong the Lord must Love you so much...blah blah!!! Sometimes I do not feel so loved! Or wish I was not loved so much. The day before Sage died we found out we were pregnant! We were excited and so happy...6 kids! The next morning when my husband found Sage in his crib not breathing...I miscarried right there and then. I was on the phone with 911 trying to take care of myself everything was a mess.
I almost feel like poking someones eyes out when they would say I know how you feel I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks...blah blah blah...yes I feel terrible for you but really please do not compare my 8 month old to a miscarriage. Anyways. I tend to ramble. I love your honest heartfelt posts and think and pray for your family daily. Your girls are adorable. Thanks for everything.
I don't think anyone can answer this question, unfortunately. And anyone who tries to answer it with all of these trite phrases is probably trying to comfort themselves (You're so strong to be able to go through this trial translates to I know I'm not as strong as you and couldn't handle this trial therefore I won't lose my child...) Anyway, I might be wrong, but that's what I think about that. We know Christ suffered more than anyone in all of mankind and he certainly didn't need to learn from his suffering nor did he need to pay some sort of penance. Christ expressed gratitude in all he did, so this can't be the reason either. Blah, blah. Our mortal, logical brains just can't know the Lord's ways. As I have watched good people suffer and bad people move on with little to know consequence, this is the only conclusion I can come to that keeps me a little bit sane :) In primary last week we talked about letting our light shine. Through all of your trials, you manage to let you light shine for those of us around you. You aren't prefect and you don't have to be - we just appreciate your light!
I loved this post. So real and honest. Those are the things I appreciate : when someone is willing to really open up. It's not all rainbows and sunshine. And yes, we get crapped on a lot ( that is my new favorite phrase ) I cannot tell you how much I agree when you say you hate when people tell you how amazing you must have been in the previous life to have a child taken back early. It never makes you feel better - at least it doesn't for me. If I was pretty amazing, then why can't I handle this experience amazingly. You know.
Thanks for your real thoughts.
Thanks so much for this post!! Your thoughts in this post helped me realize a few things. I don't know how to answer the question if life were easy it wouldn't be hard. At times I wish I knew why life was so hard and things fall often. The only thing I can say is that Heavenly Father knows best and I've had to tell myself that many times.
Thanks again for your inspiration. Your little ones are so cute. It was good to see you guys when you were in Victor again.
~Melissa
Britt,
I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I miscarried between Jaxon and Asher at about 9 weeks. I had a D and C as well. It's a hard thing to deal with by itself, let alone with all that you've been dealing with recently.
I wish you luck getting a job. What are your final two choices for what you want to be when you grow up?
I sure do love you. And BTW you were NOT a horrible teen ager. I couldn't do what i had to do if I didn't have you to depend on. Actually you were pretty awesome. Or I should say You are Pretty awesome. LOVE YOU....
If life gives you lemons, make some lemonade! Ha ha, the lemonade still makes my throat burn, my eyes water, and my lips to pucker and it sure is not DIET COKE. But, it wouldn't be life without it.
It was funny, the first thing that came to my mind was " I hear ya Sister." Then I opened the comments and saw Tiffany thought the same thing. I am sorry to hear of all the trials coming at you right now. Praying for the rain to end!! (the figurative :)
Michelle
Gavin's Mom
Post a Comment