I have been training for 4 LONG months. 8 Miles no longer seems LONG. In fact our "short" runs consist of doing 12 miles.
We have completed
1-13 mile run
1-14 mile run
1-15 mile run
2-16 mile runs
2-17 mile runs
1-18 mile run
1-19 mile run
1-20 mil run
AND Many Many Many "short" runs like 8's, 9's, and 12's. In fact, I had to read "17 miles is not normal to run" about 4 times before I actually started to believe it (that is AFTER I said it to myself 12 times every hour for 2 days straight).
.... So it is NO wonder that I have injured myself. I believe that I have pulled my rectus femoralis muscle (after the 20 miler.... go figure). That is the muscle that attaches your hip and knee along the middle part of your thigh. Ya. It is a little painful. So when you see me limping. Please don't laugh.
I have shed many a tears through the pain. Through the let down that perhaps after all the above mentioned runs, if I don't complete the marathon it will be all for naught. The training is the hard part. The marathon is the easy part. And if I can't do it? Well boy that is a doozy.
You can forget the bragging rights. No one cares if you say "I trained for a marathon" They are only impressed when you say "I ran a marathon (2 if I actually finish this one)."
So here I sit. Leg propped up. At my computer. Eating peppermint bark and a few cookies. When really I should be partaking in oranges, green beans, and lettuce.... since those extra calories are going to do nothing for the figure :) since I am not running 40 miles this week. Just resting. But maybe I can sugar rush my way through the let down.
Not giving up hope yet, but if this week doesn't prove to be healing......
8 comments:
Oh man Britt! That stinks! I'm really sorry! I hope that you feel better soon!
Love you!
Megan
So sorry to hear that. I ran track for 3 years and ended up having to quit because of some major shin splints. I remember being very disappointed and feeling like I failed. I can relate to you being upset. We will send some prayers your way : )
So sorry...I too sit and eat...plantar faciitis in my right foot...hope you get better real quick!!
Hope to see you this summer!!
"Miss Amy"
You can do it. I am sorry to hear about your injury. I am very impressed with your running. I fell off the running express after the half last year. Now I need to get into it again. You are going to do great.
You don't need to have run 2 marathons to impress me. I am already beyond impressed by your running ability especially because you started so soon after having a baby. I hope you are able to heal and run the marathon, but it won't be worth it if you are even a little bit injured and hurt yourself even worse. I hope your rectum muscle... err... whatever it is you pulled heals quickly. Yes, I know I am very funny.
That really stinks. Your amazingeven if you can't run the official marathon.
oh brit,
i think the bark and cookies are going to work wonders and you;ll be better in no time! thats what i think and hope.
I hope you feel better soon. You have have some tremendous dedication and will power. Keep going. This isn't the last marathon in the world. The thought that no one cares if you trained for a marathon puts a smile on my face. I think many things in life are like that...but really it's the training that counts.
Post a Comment