Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thanks

I am fast approaching the one year mark and I have a wide array of emotions. One minute I am driving in the car singing at the top of my lungs (yes my girls think I am nuts) and the next I am crying my eyes out. (yes they thing I am nuts)

Tonight I met my sister's new soon-to-be in laws. They seem great. She is lucky to have such a great family to marry into. Tonight I found myself desperately wanting to shout out that I didn't just have the 3 beautiful girls that they could see, but I had 4. I have a son. You just can't see him. He is just as beautiful and vibrant as the girls. But he is no longer with me.

One of his sweet sisters took a look at Isabella's innocent face and blue eyes and told me how lucky I was to have such a beautiful little girl. I know I am lucky. But my son. Oh he was beautiful. Never before have I seen such an angelic baby. And he truly is angelic.

I was going through the pictures for a project I am doing, I came across Daxton's funeral. After I got over how great my hair was, how lucky I was to find two amazing dresses and a skirt, and how "skinny" I was, I cried. Really? Is that my baby laying in the coffin? Yes. I said the coffin. It sounds horrid. But he really was laying there. It really was his sweet little body, void of his vibrant spirit. And I cried. Of course I cried.

You know I was also looking at the pictures and it is interesting the "funeral" face that people have. You have seen it. If you have ever lost someone you love, you have seen the "funeral" face. Is it morbid that I actually cracked up over that? I had the "funeral" face. The people around me had the "funeral" face. Maybe that is just how I dealt with the grief last night. I don't know.

Tonight I played a much needed game with my "sisters." Technically they aren't my sisters, but I know that I can count on them no matter what. Without back into some sort of reality, without them picking up the pieces of my life for me, without them taking care of me when I needed them, I don't think I would have made it.

The next few weeks are busy. If I keep myself busy maybe it won't seem as bad. Maybe it won't be as hard. I don't know. Some might say I should be over it by now. But I am not. I am not falling on the closet floor crying but my heart still feels like it has been ripped into a thousand pieces. I have come upon a "new" normal. I don't yet know if I like it or care to stay very long, but it is there. The "new" normal. Each day is a new day. I never truly know when the waves of grief will come. They don't come as frequently as they used to, but they are still there and still just as intense as they were when I first got "the call."

We have a trip planned to California with some friends who lost their little girl the same week Daxton died. We are going to visit amusement parks, zoos, the beach. Pretty much we are running away. Running from the pain. Running somewhere new. I don't know how it will go, but I am up for anything. I am ready for anything.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

(((hugs)))!!! Thinking of and praying for you all!

Annie and the Boys... said...

that was such a good read sister friend! i don't think ANYONE would feel that you need to ever be "over" your loss, but i am comforted to hear that you are in a new normal and i hope you know that you are loved by SO many! but MOSTLY ME!!!!

me said...

this post was so real, your emotions are normal, good luck.

Eric & Penny Kunz Family said...

Oh Brit and Doug we have been thinking of you these past weeks. Can't ever read without crying my eyes out. So glad you are running away for a few days. Thanks for sharing "you".

Anonymous said...

When my little guy was 2 weeks old, I was holding him late at night and my husband and I were watching TV. He was sound asleep and all of a sudden he started laughing like a little toddler would. He laughed like he was being tickled and he sounded so happy. Then he sighed and half smiled and then proceded to crack up again. (2 week old babies don't laugh!) It was the neatest experience of my life. I had never felt the spirit so strong. To be honest, my husband and I were both struggling with our testimony's at that time and after this experience I will NEVER question it again. That was one of the few times I've seen my husband cry. I just wanted to share that with you and let you know that I will never take my 3 children for granted and your words help me to have a little more patience and to enjoy each day with them. I have prayed and cried for you and know that all of us moms out here love you :)

Kami Milliron said...

I feel that way everyday. I want the world to know I have two children, not just one. I have a beautiful little Girl that is real. It is so hard sometimes.

Joy said...

We are thinking about you and praying for you, always. Love ya.