Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Confession

I must confess. The picture posted yesterday was not a creation of mine. It was designed for me and given to me by my sister in law. It is hanging up on the wall in the new playroom. It was perfect for this day.

I wanted to post on "this" day but I didn't want to commemorate or make a big deal about it. It isn't a day I want to remember. In fact it is a day I would like to permanently erase from my mind with a big black sharpie. Ok not erased, but I would like to sharpie it so I don't have to keep living it over and over. It did happen. It is what it is. Daxton is gone. I still miss him.

A year later. I never thought that the time would pass. It stood still for me for so many days, weeks, even months, that it is hard to believe that one year has actually gone by. There have been birthdays, holidays, babies, marriages, even other tragedies. Time has moved. It has continued. And I have made it. I have survived.

I am a survivor. I don't necessarily carry the attitude "bring it on" because I don't really want anything "brought." But if it comes, I will beat it. I am a fighter. I will do this. There are so many others fighting this battle with grief. With losing a child. With losing a husband. With losing themselves. I look up to them for strength. It makes me want to continue fighting.

A year ago, I explained my loss as losing my right arm. A year ago, my right arm was cut off without me even being prepared for it. A year ago, I lost one of the most valuable earthly possessions. A year ago, I lost my little man. My little shadow. My right arm. When it was taken from me, I thought I would never be the same. I knew I would never be the same. I am not the same. I would like to think that I am stronger. Of course there are many other ways I would have liked to become such. But it is not so.

Each day is a new day. Each week is a new week. Each year will be a new year. In this lifetime, I will not use my right arm. It is gone. I have learned to compensate. I have learned how to get along without it. Sometimes it is more than I can bear. Sometimes I really wish that I could have it back. Sometimes I just go into the bathroom and cry my tears. Then I come out, lift up my head, and say "Bring it on."

I try to lose myself in projects or service or playing with my kids. My grief is still sometimes crippling, but not as frequently as it was before. I can manage. I can do daily tasks. I still think about Daxton every day. Whenever I say his name or hear his name, there is a soft pang in my heart, not like the dagger it used to be.

A hole still remains in my heart. It isn't closing. Not even a little. But my heart is learning. It is learning what my mind keeps telling it. My girls keep me busy. I appreciate my children more. I know how lucky I am to have them because I have lost one. I know how much love I have for them because I have lost one. It is like it says in the scriptures without the sorrow, we wouldn't know the joy, without the bitter, we wouldn't know the sweet. And boy don't I know.

I know I will get to raise Daxton someday. His spirit is in Heaven, serving the Lord and being a missionary. His body is in the "waiting room." It is a very big waiting room. There I will wait to see him. It may be 10 years. It may be 20. It may be more. But I know I will see him again. I know I will raise him. I know I will be a perfect mother then, for the Lord will have taught me what I need to learn. How lucky he will be :). How lucky I will be. I miss him. Of course I miss him. Every bone in my body and every pore of my soul miss him. But I will see him again.

Someday. Just not today.

11 comments:

Kami Milliron said...

That was an awesome post. You worded it so beautifully. It has been 6 months for me now. I cannot believe time has passed this quickly. I am stronger than I was 4 or 5 months ago, but I am still not healed. I am not sure if I will ever be 100 percent again. I still feel that dagger in my heart when I hear Elizabeth's name. But I still love hearing it. The pain is worth it to hear someone talk about her. She is real, she exists and I want others to talk about her like she does.

I love that you used the analogy of a waiting room. I'd like to think Elizabeth's body is there too. Waiting for the day Tyler and I can come hold her. I just wish it didn't hurt so bad sometimes. And I wish I knew who I was because I don't anymore. I am a different person than I was 6 months ago. I am not that same woman anymore. I do miss that person though. I miss the innocence I once had. The innocence of not knowing what this loss is like. I wish no one else would ever have to live through it ever again.

Denise said...

I can't relate to your pain and sorrow but thanks so much for sharing your innermost thoughts with us. When you do raise your little man you will have SOOO much joy. You will be in His presence raising your perfect little man. My thoughts are with you. Take care!!!

Bridget said...

Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing.

Michelle said...

You are a survivor, Britt. And you have the gift of sharing your thoughts with us in such a beautiful way that it makes us know Daxton too.
Thinking of you! (((HUGS)))

Christy {The Girl Who Ate Everything} said...

Uggghh. I know you don't want to make a big deal of this day but it is a hard one to deal with. I'm sure you have so many memories coming back. I will pray for you to make it through today.
Christy

Sara said...

Hello, you don't know me but I grew up with your in laws in Victor. I to do not know how I came upon your post but I think of you and your family often. I am a better mom becasue of your blog. Your words are so real and beautiful. My little boys b-day is on Daxton's anniversery. While we were celebrating I had you and your little man in my heart the entire time. What a handsom little man! I too have suffered a tragic loss. My brother passed away at 19. I was in the 8th grade. When I read your words, I think of my mom. The 24th of June will mark 15 years since our tragic loss. I can't say it gets any better, but it does get a bit easier. I am so greatful for having come accross your blog. As stated above, you have helped to become a better mom. As well as myself, you have also helped my mom. May God Bless you and your wonderful family.

larsen family said...

Love You.

Jessica said...

Thank you for your beautiful testimony Britt. Daxton truly is a lucky little man to have you as his mother, and you him. Love you.

Heidi Ann said...

Thanks for the good, long cry. I loved reading this post, you said so well what I often feel. I hate this club but am thankful for the countless things I have learned and the many blessings we have because of this club. Do you think they are friends? Do you think they comfort each other they way we try to? Do you think they cry when we do?

I'm glad your one year is over, that many firsts are done. I know he loves you, I know he is near, and I'm glad you know he will be yours again!

Tiffany said...

Britt, what a BEAUTIFUL post! I may have balled my eyes out... But thank you for saying what you said. You are positive and while I know you struggle, YOU continue to help and uplift so many, myself included. I'm glad that you felt inspired to contact me when you did. I was so lost and so in need of direction. I could have been lead to choose a much harder road of grief. One that wouldn't allow me to heal or to find joy due to anger and bitterness. Thank YOU for what you do for so many. Thank you for being such a wonderful example of just how to take life as it comes at you. You truly inspire me! Love you Brit!

Susan Anderson said...

I haven't been to your blog for a while, and I've missed reading your thoughts. This was a particularly beautiful post.

I also love your new blog look and the beautiful pictures of your children.

=)