Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Why do people call you?

Today I took a CPR class. This is what I do. I take CPR. I give CPR. At work.

Not daily, but occasionally.

Actually the last time I did the actual chest compressions and breaths it was a 60 year old man who went down in the elevator at work from a heart attack. He didn't make it. You know what I thought? I thought it was cool I got to do CPR. And why am I admitting this? Not sure.

I don't think it is cool anymore to give CPR. There is nothing cool about it. Nothing. Did you hear about the 11 months old the television fell on and she died? That. Was. Not. Cool. I gave that family a Daxton Box. It was awful. Really awful. Really. Really. Awful. Actually I didn't personally give it to the family. Too hard. But I gave it to the nurse with specific instructions on how to use it.

This is my trigger.

On my way home from my CPR class, my friend called me to tell me that she heard her baby's heartbeat. The little energy sucking embryo has a heart beat. I cried with her. See my friend has had 3 miscarriages, each one happening longer and longer into gestation. And she just picks herself up and moves on. With 3 boys, what are the options anyway :)?

She has a friend giving a talk in church who called her up and asked her, "Why do people call you?" I thought this an odd topic or question, but she explained the talk was on friends, why we have them, how they help us, what we have to offer them.... etc.

Got me to thinking.

After Daxton died, there were very few people I would call or talk to. Actually only one or two. You see when you lose a child, very few people you know have been through the same tragedy (and thank goodness) and they don't relate very well. But they try. And I am grateful.

With this particular friend, I would text her. When I couldn't muster up the energy I asked her to do things for me.

Now she lives 2.5 hours away, so these were "vicarious" acts. But she would do things like get out of bed for me, play with her kids for me, go get a diet coke and drink it for me, eat a bowl of ice cream with brownies for me, make cookies for me which were delivered via a sister in law, I actually was able to really eat them :), but most importantly, she would kiss her baby for me. She would hold him for me. She would love on him for me. She would dote on him for me.

These small acts were "code" for I am having a crappy day. HELP. For instance, if I was having a cryamony, I would text her "I need two diet cokes and please kiss Brooks for me" and she would know. And I would know. That somewhere she was doing something to think of me. To think of my little boy. And likely crying with me.

So in answer to her friend's question. THAT is why I call her. THAT is why I call my Annie.

6 comments:

julz said...

I call a friend who has more knowledge with sick babies than I do... Thank you.

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

I love this post. Absolutely love it. Do you mind if I link it on my blog?

So tragic about the little 11 month old. Absolutely horrific. You are a brave woman to do what you do.

Kristina said...

What a blessing friends are! We are so lucky to have people to talk to who just know what we need. You are such a good example, Britt. So is Annie. I also heard about the 11 month-old baby. I had to turn off the TV. I am so impressed by your ability to do good and lift others who are experiencing life altering tragedies. From creating Daxton Boxes to giving counsel and caring to those who have lost a child to simply being willing to talk about your feelings, you have blessed countless people. Thank you for your wise example!

jen said...

The saddest part of that 11-month-old's story was when the press reported that no charges were going to be filed. That made me so angry. Really? That even had to be said?
I think this is one of the reasons we have more than one friend and why we have ward families. Some friends are text and get support friends. Some are cry on my bed friends. Some are I need an emergency babysitter friends. Some are run the canal friends. But we all do what we can when we can and try to do it the best we can.
Someday I'll be back on that canal, my friend!

Philip, Melissa, & Summer said...

Very great insights. Thank you.

Wish I were in Idaho so I could meet up with you and Shar. Have fun.

We are all "SPECIAL" said...

I love Annie too!!