Savannah was born in November 2001, making me a mother at the ripe ol age of 21. I was young. I was ill prepared. I was naive. Which in this case proved to me in my benefit.
I had her via C section as she was breech with the chord around her neck twice. There was no hope turning her and no way to do a vaginal birth. So C section it was....
We didn't know that there was anything amuck with her before she was born except that she was going to be small. When she was born there were a number of anomalies that were extremely noticeable. She had some limb length discrepancy in her arms and in her legs, and some craniofacial anomalies that only the doctor could talk himself into seeing. This all led to a diagnosis of Russell Silver Syndrome on day of life 2.
Upon further investigation it was noted that she had Failure to Thrive (didn't eat nor did she want to nor could she), which led us to a variable number of feeding tubes until she was 3 years old. Her limb length discrepancy is accounted for in a shoe lift about 9 cm on her left side. Her discrepancy in her arms doesn't bother her unless I am washing a hand one at a time and one reaches the sink and the other doesn't.
While there are a number of others, we will focus on the developmental delay. Savannah has been delayed about 2 years on her fine and gross motor skills as well as cognitive. She is in the moderately delayed class at school.
Needless to say my expectations have been low, which could be good or bad.... depending on how you look at it. But in the last few years, she has improved LEAPS and bounds. I NEVER imagined she would learn all her letters.... check! or her numbers to 20....check! or to trace her name....check! or to learn how to use a mouse....check! or to learn how to use her leap frog nintendo thing....check! or to sit attention to task until said task is over....check!!!!!!!
WOW! The progress is amazing. Unfathomable even. Well anyway. Back to the title. Savannah uses the computer and navigates better than I could at her age (ok we didn't have computers when I was her age....) and her favorite thing to do is "X" out of programs. You know. The little red x at the top right of the screen? Yep. That's the one. She has a habit of "X" ing out of the most important of documents, deleting or leaving important windows. Owell. I am just happy to know she even knows how to "X" out.... let alone what it is called to exit a program.
I NEVER could have thought she would make such progress. It is absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!
17 comments:
That is so amazing! I'm sure she'll continue to grow and flourish. She got off to a rough start, so it does take time, but it sounds like she's doing great!
First of all - All of your daughters are simply beautiful! Second of all - way to stick with her mom and give her all the opportunities possible! (maybe you should set that autosave at 1 minute!!) It is amazing what even the toughest challenges can overcome with time and love! Now I am going to hit Post Comment and X out of this comment and smile all the way to the bathroom thinking about your beautiful family (ahem, I have to go - it is not a creepy thing!!)
As a mother of a developmentally delayed child who exceeded all expectations and is in the 90th percentile nationwide academically...let me welcome you to the club of "where there is a will there is a way"! Congratulations.
I love this post. My son is trying to get me off the computer too.
wow,
very powerful and lovely.
Nothing can describe that feeling and you have done so great with support of her. I don't know you, we've never met, but I can tell the kind of mother you are. (I joined at 20! YIKES!) The love you have is so thick you can taste it. Way to go on being the best mom Savannah could have ever hoped for!!
I love Savannah! She sure was blessed with the very best mom for her.
I LOVE hearing about your beautiful first born. You probably wouldnt remember but at Kami's bridal shower, I was feeding my *sniff* now 2 year old a bottle and Savannah came up to me and just took control. She held the bottle in my daughter's mouth and you were asking her to give the bottle back. I couldnt help but smile because at the time, I had been reading your blog and I knew who she was (sounds creepy, doesnt it?). I didnt want to introduce myself because I felt like a stalker at the time and you were the first blog I ever blog stalked. I have 2 siblings with special needs and the expectations with them werent always so high...and yet, to think they are 19 and 12 now and doing SO many incredible things just boggles my mind and makes me so proud to be a part of their family.
I hope she continues to learn and grow.
That's wonderful that she's doing so well now.
we laugh a lot in blogland and we cheer, we rejoice in the joy...and here is what I say...
wonderful...just wonderful that the little diamond of your heart has shined so bright...!
Indeed I daresay her progress is owed a great deal the extraordinary family who loves her.
Wonderful story about your daughter she is a beautiful child and I am happy for her progress... thank you for sharing...bkm
What a touching post. I loved every last word I read.
How beautiful all your daughters are. Savannah is indeed blessed to be part of your family. I am sure you would say you are the blessed ones. thank you for sharing your inspiring story!
Love love love amazingg Savannah! Miss Savannah and her clan mucho! ->Amie T
I don't know you at all and read your blog occasionally and I have to tell you, I feel so glad to read this post at this moment. My oldest (now 8) has a litany of issues and delays, and frankly right now is a tough stretch. But as with your daughter, he has exceeded SO many of our expectations and I know he will continue to do things that amaze us (just not this summer, apparently :>). Anyway, I will keep my chin up and a big HOO-YAH to your cute little Savannah. I hope you go open lots of windows for her to X out. :>
Please accept my apologies for this late visit to your Alphabe-Thursday link for the letter "X".
I am so glad I didn't miss this link.
What a wonderful and heartwarming tale of hope and possibility.
Your family is lovely.
And I'm so glad that "X" has become so easy for your beautiful daughter.
Your post really touched my heart.
A+
thats "my" girl!im camping and loving your blog as im held up inside because of the rain.
Post a Comment