Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fighting with a Two Year Old

Isabella is a peach. Really. She is. You've seen her pictures. She is cuter in real life. And her personality is just as cute.

Well. She has recently started climbing out of her crib. Ok it could arguable be called a play pen. OK! It IS a play pen and yes. I don' t have a crib. We threw it away..... So Isabella sleeps in a play pen. For now. She has recently decided other choices are full of more comfort. Such as MY bed. Or Sannah's bed. Or the NO bed for that matter.

OH dear. I used to enjoy her sleeping in until 11am. Yes, that reads 11am and she goes to bed at 8pm. And takes a nap! Ok. Let's recap that. She USED to sleep in until 11am. She USED to nap. She USED to go to bed at 8pm.

Ok. I admit. I am a poor mother who needs HELP. I haven't had to "wean" from a crib to a bed since Mikenna. And now I am at a loss. How do I keep her in her bed? Is it CPS worthy if I lock her in her room at night? Will you turn me in to CPS because I even had that thought in my head? Cuz trust me, it's either the lock on the door or ...... You all know. You've all been there.

So do you have any tricks of the trade that have worked good for you? Because me and my two year old are fighting. AND SHE IS WINNING!!!!

But in her defense, she IS cute.

14 comments:

Rusty and Jacquie said...

Ok...so obviously I am not expert...unfortunately I don't think I would be with Kaden here either but nonetheless a suggestion? Put a gate up? Where is she sleeping?

Dran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dran said...

Since I need help with this too, I looked on the net. Here are some suggestions I found.
- get a book called "I sleep in my own bed" and read it with her every night before bed
- reward her for staying in her bed all night ... like put a star on the calendar
- put her to bed with books and a flashlight

Some of those suggestions make me laugh.

I have also asked our pediatricians:
Dr. G. says to read the book by Dr. Ferber and follow it's guidance.
Dr. A. says Dr. Ferber's methods don't really work; he says to "let her cry it out" for three nights in a row". The first night she'll cry all night; second night less, third night less, and on the fourth night she'll sleep through the night.

I don't really know ... good luck. To me too.

Suzanne Maughan said...

My daughter started climbing out of her crib a couple months ago. Actually, in October so more than a couple months ago. It was when we found her on the kitchen floor one morning with ALL of her Halloween candy in her tummy that we decided we needed to do something.
So instead of locking her door, we bought a baby gate and put it up in the door frame.
It has worked wonders for us! And I certainly dont think itd be wrong to just lock her door but this way, she wasnt as scared and could call to us in the mornings and see us coming.
Good luck! When my Hayley stopped using a crib, she also stopped napping AND sleeping til 10am. :( sad day.

Melissa & Phil said...

I have a friend that wasn't ready for the bed transition so she used the bassinet portion of the pack and play and put it on upside down. her daughter could stand up in the pack and play, but couldn't get out.

Hayden was wanting us to lay with him every night and it would sometimes take 2 or more hours for him to fall asleep, so we put him in a top bunk. He can get out, but usually doesn't:)

jen said...

Personally, I would lock the door until she's asleep. CPS or not.

Kristina said...

I say, give up. Surrender. If you lock her in her room, her crying will wake the other kids. Acknowledge the fact that she is the boss of you and you will be happier. But seriously, the gate sounds like a good idea. Maybe? You know the control my little child has over me, so if you find something other than locking her in her room let me know! James would cry all night without giving up EVER if I locked him in his room!

Rickie said...

There must be something in this batch of babies! We have been going through the same thing w/ Avery climbing out of her bed. At first, we would wake up in the morning to find her asleep in the hall. Crazy! We just kept putting her back in her bed firmly every few minutes. After several weeks she got the hang of it. I have also had her stop taking naps every day. That has been the biggest help because then she's too tired to get out of bed a night. Good luck!! AHHH, it is so frustrating when they outsmart us.

Chelsea said...

My baby is the same age with the same problem :) I started locking her door a few weeks ago & has made all the difference! She stays in her bed and doesn't even try to get out now. In fact...she stands at any closed door and asks me to open it for her because she thinks all doors are pretty much locked..ha ha, woops!

IH-Texas said...

Two gates high if you have a climber like mine. :) Love you girlfriend. Mine is almost there at 19mos. She is in the pack and play also. ->Amie

The Robinson Family said...

Hey! We moved to San Tan Valley! We need to get together. We have been here a week today. Give me a call so we can set something up. 509-205-9852 Jamie

Gel said...

The locking of the door is a great idea... until they scream and scream and wake up the other kids!! Let me know what works for you. Jackson is still sneaking in my room at night. Last night he thought if he gave me a kiss first then he could come in my bed!!!
Hopefully he learns here in the next couple of weeks or I'm toast!!!

Angie said...

We turned around the lock on our twins' door and locked it nightly & during naps when we moved them to big girl beds at 18 months old (mattresses on the floor, no frame, so falling out wouldn't hurt so much). Otherwise they were escaping and trying to go downstairs all the time, even in the middle of the night. I know some people are against it for safety reasons, like if there was a fire, but I figure when they're that young they wouldn't be able to escape a fire without adult help anyway.

Whatever you decide, GOOD LUCK. That age of blossoming independence is sometimes tough, as you well know.

Petersonpod said...

Oh, the joys of bedtime! We only had a pack and play for our last one, cuz he was a BONUS baby, and we couldn't locate the hardware for the crib. At 12 months my Grandma moved in and got his room, so he was off the the 'big boys' room with his two brothers, on a trundle that we kept in the down position. And yes, I would lay by him until he was asleep for naps and nighttime, because quite frankly, I knew it wouldn't last forever!! He gave up naps at two, and is headed to kindergarten in the fall...and YES, I miss those days...
He goes to bed at 8pm no problem now and wakes up around 8am...plays hard and sleeps hard!
Good luck!
Miss Amy