In-laws.
When I say that "word," what comes to your mind? Do you like/love to not like them? Do you live close/far away from them for a reason? Do you get along/fight with them? Would you prefer to/not see them all the time?
Well let me tell you a secret. (And I know they are reading this :).... but I never lie) I have the BEST in laws in the whole entire world. I seriously could not have handpicked them any better. Every last brother/sister in law (and I have 16) and my mother and father in law. Really. Don't be jealous.
Doug once said that getting together with family (any gathering really) is something that everybody looks forward to... except us. Because there is always food. And we have a child with Prader Willi. It is like throwing a crack addict in a crack house and telling them they can't have any, but they get to watch everybody else partake and be told not to. That is Savannah's life. At home, we do the best that we can.
But Doug's family has bent over backwards to make it easier. They all take their turn. They never complain that the food is all hidden in the laundry room instead of conveniently located on the counter. They don't complain when all the food has to be put away as soon as the meal is on their plates. And there are never ending offers to take the girls (Savannah) on tractor rides, or the snow machine, or on the sleigh with the horses. Or offering to do puzzles with Savannah or help her do a project or make part of the meal. They know the deal. They know how to barter with her. And I so appreciate that.
It is super fun to get all the cousins together and let them roam and play all day with NO parental instruction, except at meal and bed time. The girls love it. And I am not going to lie. The free babysitting of Isabella is awesome. And lets not forgot all the cute babies to hold. That's the great thing about having 16 in laws. There will always be babies :). Even after the kids are done having kids. Then the grandkids will be having kids and there will be a neverending cycle of babies. Now, I know that I work with babies all the time. But there is something different about holding a baby that is a part of you.
Particularly my nephew. He has an uncanny resemblance to my little Daxton at that age. And he lets me kiss on him. And he doesn't even complain. And his sweet mom lets me.
And that is what I love about being in Idaho.
PS I must say that I love being in Idaho.... But I must also leave a disclaimer. I DON'T love Idaho when it is -2 degrees outside. Sorry. I just don't. :)
1 comment:
-2 sounds warm compared to what Idaho is capable of. Glad you are having fun and not frozen yet.
Post a Comment