Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Teaching Moment

A few months back I was sitting in Savannah's primary class. It was interesting. It always is. I used to teach it. But now I don't. Thank GooDnEsS!!!! NO offense. I usually sit in there anyway. She can be a turkey sometimes. Ok a lot o times. But she sure is cute.

Anyway, the lesson was on Taking the Lord's name in vain.

The teacher approached it like this:

"What are your names?" (then looked at each child and had them tell her their names)

"Where did your name come from?"

"Do you like your name?"

"What if someone called you the wrong name?"

"Ok so now we know what your names are, where they came from, and that you like them (most said yes... LOL) and that you don't like being called the wrong name."

"What if someone started saying your name when you they were mad? Or sad? Or frustrated? Or expressing some sort of emotion? How would that make you feel?"

Most of the kids thought this was not a good idea. I think that I would be upset if when someone dropped a chair on their toe, they yelled BRITTANY!!!

Or if they hit their car as they were backing out of the garage in their much bigger car. BRITTANY!!!!

Or if they forgot something at the grocery store. BRITTANY!!!

Or if they just heard something that was good news, bad news or in the middle news. BRITTANY!!!!

Or if they just lost a game or their friend lost a game or on the TV their team lost a game. Or won for that matter. BRITTANY!!!

I am not sure that I would love this. For one thing I would be saying "WHAT" all the time and lets be honest here. I do that already with "MOOOOO-OM." SO thank you. No.

For another, I am not sure I want my name to be said when people are mad or frustrated or peeved or whatever else.

For example when Savannah is in trouble (hardly ever ;)) I say Savannah RANAE!!! My mother in law says please don't say my name like a swear word (her name is Ranae, bless her for her patience with me.) And its true. When my mother used to use my middle name it was ONLY because I was in trouble (as infrequent as it was.... LOL). And even then I didn't like my name to be shouted like a swear word.

SO then the question is...
Why do we think that taking the Lord's name in vain is ANY different than saying our name when we are cursing or our mom's name or our mother in law's name or a dear family member or friend.
Why would that be ok? It wouldn't.

I learned a very good lesson that day in Primary. I actually had to give that lesson today. It was a teaching moment I am grateful for. I am grateful to that Primary teacher. And I am grateful to have a new perpective.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

That is a VERY good perspective! Thanks for the lesson I needed this morning.

Bean said...

thanks Britt. That's a very good way at looking at it. Hope you're having a good day.
Megan

Hubers said...

What an insightful thought. Think I needed to hear this.

Bridget said...

I like this approach. We dealt with it several months ago in our house. Although we touched on some of these ideas, we definitely didn't have this whole package deal. I hope I remember this the next time it comes up in our home.