Daxton Box

I have created a NEW website for the Daxton Box. Please visit www.daxtonsbox.blogspot.com

Monday, June 23, 2008

Thank You To So Many


These past few weeks our little family has been so blessed by so many for which we are eternally grateful. There have been so many kind emails, cards, calls, and visits by so many friends and family. There have been so many beautiful flowers sent, books that have helped, gifts to help us remember our sweet boy, hours of working in our house, funds to help pay for the funeral expenses, meals to feed all of our family members in town as well as Brittany, me and the girls after everyone left, hugs, car washes, and so many other kind acts. This outpouring of love has helped to lift and encourage us. These and so many other tender mercies of the Lord have helped strengthen our knowledge that God does love his children and that many times he shows that love through kind acts of others.



Two of the greatest tender mercies for Brittany and I during these past few weeks have been our sweet daughters Savannah and Mikenna. They are having a difficult time but seem to understand so much. They have said many things that have helped us remember to smile. During the funeral Savannah reached up to Brittany and pulled Britt’s head down to her shoulder and just hugged her. During a very difficult day Savannah just sat next to Brittany and I as we cried. After a few minutes Savannah said something a bit funny that got us to smile a bit. She caught the smile and said, “Mommy don’t smile, don’t smile mommy. I see you smiling, don’t you smile. Don’t laugh mommy or you will wet your pants.” By this time she had us. She is usually pretty good at getting a smile out of us. A few days ago Mikenna drew us a picture of Daxton in the clouds and next to him she drew Heavenly Father and Jesus. She loves drawing pictures of Daxton. These are just a few of the many experiences over the past few weeks in which our girls have put a smile on our faces and touched our hearts with their kind, inspired words.

Brittany and I shared a few of our memories of Daxton at the funeral services. Brittany posted many of them in her tribute below. I would like to share a few more as well as a few of the closing comments from our remarks at our sweet Daxton’s funeral services:



Daxton loved to go outside with me. Whenever I was headed out Britt would ask him if he wanted to go outside. She would say, “Outside? Outside?” He would get so excited and pant like a little puppy. We would always go straight to the wind chimes first. He would reach up and touch them. As they chimed he would giggle and giggle, this never got old for him. Many times I would take him to the garden and pull a few weeds with one hand while holding him with the other. When we planted the garden for Family Home Evening he sat in the stroller and watched us. He wanted to be out helping and fussed a bit so Mikenna and Savannah would take turns pushing him around while we planted. He also loved to go get the mail with us. Savannah would usually end up pushing him in the pink (that was one of the few hand me downs he got from his older sisters) stroller while we would walk to get the mail and then go around the block.



Since Daxton’s birth I was always so excited for when he would be old enough to play catch with me. The last few weeks before he passed away he loved to catch with me using a little green bouncy ball. I would roll the ball to him. He would pick it up and try to throw it with both hands. It would usually bounce off of his head or feet and roll towards me. If the ball was too far away from me he would bear walk/crawl over to it and try again. He loved playing catch and would giggle every time he threw the ball as I clapped excitedly at his great throw. I’m so glad I got to play catch with my little guy before he left us.



We know that families are forever. As we’ve been remembering the past few days from our perspective the thought came to us that we had not considered the past few days from Daxton’s perspective. Thoughts have come to us that Daxton had a crowd of family and friends in his room with him throughout Sunday night, anxiously awaiting his return to them. Among them, we felt that our grandparents, my sister and many other family members and friends that have passed on from this life were there comforting him and then embraced him when he joined their side of the veil. We were then impressed that he met and embraced our Lord and Savior. Next his journey took him to meet his Heavenly Father and Mother. The thought then came that they encouraged him to come back to comfort and help his parents, his Aunt Lollie, and the rest of his family make it through this very difficult time. These thoughts were another tender mercy of the Lord for us.



We want to bear testimony of the truthfulness of the Atonement. We testify that Christ died and now lives. We are so thankful for the knowledge that we can live with our little chubba wubba if we live righteously. We are so thankful for a second less talked about part of the Atonement - the enabling power of the Atonement. I know that because Christ has suffered all things he has been able to succor us and bring peace to our hearts. This peace does not take away the pain, but it helps strengthen and give us understanding so that we might bear this burden.

23 comments:

Sant Family said...

Wow. Doug, that was just beautiful. We continue to pray that you and your family feel peace and the love of our Savior.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.

Love, Tifani and Larry

Brooke said...

Britt and Doug, your strength and faith inspire us, you are amazing examples of what we all should be. I know there are probably many moments when you don't feel strong enough to bear this burden, but we pray for you every day that the Lord will keep carrying you through this. It's not hard to see why He chose you to be the parents of such a noble and pure spririt as Daxton. We love you!
Brooke and Aaron

janelle said...

Doug and Brittany

Your tributes and testimonies have strengthened me. I continue to pray for you and your family. I pray for your continued peace while you go through such sorrow. Thank your for letting us get to know Daxton a little better.

MommaHobbs said...

Isn't that power awesome. I haven't gone through the same things as you and Brittany have Doug, but I have had my own trials that required healing for my broken heart that only the power of the atonement could touch. I also found peace beyond my own understanding. I often find myself wondering where my life would be without the gospel. I don't want to know, so I thank Heavenly Father daily for parents and grandparents who passed on their testimonies to me. Who lived exemplary lives of faith and courage. I also had the thought that my dad, who loved your mom and dad so much, was one of the ones there to great your Daxton. No doubt Grandma Kunz was there to love the 'cutest' baby in the world. We are blessed. I'm so pleased, and not at all surprised to read of your testimony and faith. My love to your family.
Monica Egbert Hobley

Cami said...

The strength and faith of your family during this difficult time is an example to us all. You have shown that a testimony of our Heavenly Father's plan can comfort us and help us through the most difficult trials of life. We pray for continued strength and comfort for you and your family.

Soelbergs said...

How neat it is to feel comforted by the mourning parents. Your testimonies have strengthened us too.

Hubers said...

I am so glad that Brittany married and wonderful man like you. There is nothing else in the world that can comfort like the gospel...it's amazing! Our prayers are still with you and your family.

Christian said...

Wow....that is just about all I can say. When I heard about Daxton a few days ago, my biggest fear was that this experience might rock your testimony. Amazingly, it looks like it has actually been strengthened. When my mom died realizing that she had met with her Father in Heaven (Alma 40:11) shortly after her death gave me great comfort, along with the knowledge of how much her Father in Heaven loved her. It sounds like you have had that same realization and even taken it farther in knowing that Clarissa and your other relatives are watching over Daxton. Doug, you were such a great example to me growing up and now thousand of miles away you continue that great example. You are a rock! I cannot think of anyone more qualified and able to lead their family through this time of trial than you. Please, please, please let me know if there is anything at all that we can do and please, please, please call if you ever need anyone to talk to. We love and are praying for all of you.

Christian
(706) 814-7128
christiandkunz@gmail.com

Annie and the Boys... said...

Well put Doug, we continue to pray for you and your little family. Know you're loved

nevilleklan said...

Doug,
I have a hard time putting my thoughts into words,but I just want you and your family to know how sorry we are and that I would just like to throw my arms around you and give you a big hug. My heart has ached for you but has been strengthened from you. You have been in our prayers and will continue to be. We love you guys and hope that the Saviors peace will continue to hover over you.
Love
Heidi (Kunz) Neville Fam

Jenny said...

Brittney,
Hi, you don't know me, but I am sort of a second cousin to your husband. I'm a Coburn. Anyway, I am so sorry about your loss. I tried to tranfer a donation to the Daxton fund online, but it needs a first and last name to go with the account. Daxton Kunz didn't work- would you mind letting me know?

Philip, Melissa, & Summer said...

The tears are rolling down my face as I read your post. Little children are definitely humble, and can remind us that things will be ok. Our little Summer has done the same for us at this time as well. Philip said the same thing as Doug did about playing catch with his little boy, and that some may be sad or disappoined. He then reminded himself that someday he will be able to play catch and all those boy things. I also know that there are many more games of catch for Doug and Daxton. Thank you for your stories of Daxton. It has been great to get to know him a little more.

julie said...

Doug and Brittany- I hope this isn't inappropriate, but my friend just showed me a blog about a young mormon family going through the same struggle as you guys. They lost their baby girl when she crawled in and drowned in their hot tub. Her blog has been very uplifting and I thought you may want to check it out. Go to http://adailyscoop.blogspot.com/2008/06/lasting-change.html This tragedy happened just days after little Daxton left this world. I thought you may be able to help each other through this hard time even though you are strangers. We love you guys and we continue to pray for you and your family each day.

Bryan and Jodi Bartschi Family said...

Doug and Brittany I'm glad you are coming to Idaho this week so I can hug you...I wish I could do more. I want you to know that Daxton is continuing to strengthen not only our family's testimony of Heavenly Father's plan of eternal families, but our Young Men and Women. Mom spoke at a fireside on Sunday and talked about that precious little boy...not a deacon or beehive made a sound...your family, your strength, and your testimonies are reaching far beyond what you know. I love you and am grateful I have family who are examples of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We love you and pray for you daily. LOVE YOU LOTS!! Jodi and Family

Stephanie Waite said...

Britt and Doug,
I read your comment on my blog (www.adailyscoop.blogpot.com) and came to read more of your story. Yes, you do know exactly how I feel. I have found great comfort corresponding others who are on this road. I still can't talk -- too much crying when I talk -- but I find comfort in corresponding with others. I just wanted to send a cyber hug your way.

Britt, I think you and I would be good friends. I saw your favorite book list on your profile. I LOVE "These is my words" and know so few who have read it. I also love the twilight series. I may have to pick up the other books on your list when I finish reading all the books people have sent me.

I will send a prayer your way today. I know they help more than anything else.

Stephanie Waite

The Spradlin Family said...

I am Andrea Wood's neice. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I am thankful for gospel, and for the knowledge of "eternity". My brother was friends with Stephanie Waite in high school, and I hope that you both will find comfort, and hopefully a new friendship with each other. May you and your sweet family continue to heal and be blessed. Thank you for sharing with us.
-Carli Spradlin

spencer and summer said...

Doug it has been a while, i went to Driggs this weekend and heard about your loss, I am so Sorry! I told my wife about it and she had read about your family on John and Kristi Denny's website (friends of ours from BYU). I had a hard time reading your comments with a dry eye, at times like this it is nice to know what we know. YOu've always been an example to all you meet and this situation is no different. Stay strong, and know that so many people have heard your story and are being strengthend by your families example and testimony Spencer N.

Hubers said...

We are still thinking of you and sending prayers your way.
Love-
Summer

Franklin Family said...

You don't know me, but I am a friend/sort-of-relative of the Porter family. When I heard your story, I cried. When I read your heart-felt and loving tributes, I sobbed. However, when I read this last post, I had a peaceful feeling and teared up for a different reason. Your family has strengthened my testimony of the savior, the healing power it brings, and the comfort of eternal families. You are a strong family, and you are a shining example to us all. I am so sorry you went through this, and that your family has to wait to be with your son. No one can take away that pain, but the Savior can help. How lucky Daxton is to have you as his parents, and he's waiting for you!

EmJoy said...

Thanks for your strong testimony. What a blessing you are to others. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet family!

Katie said...

Doug and Brittany,

Bryan and I are so strengthened by your testimonies of the Atonement! You have posted such beautiful tributes and testimonies. We know it's been awhile but we wanted to let you know our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! We're so sorry for you loss. What a wonderful gift to know that Families Are Forever! You have a beautiful family!

Love,
Bryan & Katie Bartow
bkbartowfamily@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and will be praying for your family. Your testimonies have inspired me so much to love and trust my Heavenly Father with all my heart.
Thank you so much for letting me get to love your family.
Lisa
ps. My husband and I are replacing all our blinds with curtians within the next week.

jje said...

This is JJ from Unfrump My Mom -- I came to your site after you left your comment and I am just so moved by your story. I'm just sitting here with tears running down my face praying for the Lord to bless your family. Daxton was and is precious. Anyways, thanks for your comment. I'll check back in on you here...